Forums Latest Members
  1. exdiver Aug 19, 2013

Does anyone know if the Seamaster 600 "Ploprof" (ref. ST166.0077) has ever been delivered with the 1001 caliber?

My Ploprof, bought in 1972, has a movement 1002 like all other Ploprofs I have ever seen described on the web. This is the correct caliber according to all tech data published by Omega in print and online on the Omega Vintage database (ref=14304). The same is also confirmed by a letter by Jean-Luc Miranda of the Omega museum (Vintage Information) as published on other sites in answer to some query on the model. The indicated native movement is always and only 1002, with no alternative configurations named. However, I am told my watch should have a caliber 1001 (an inferior type as far as I understand). This is rather surprising and moreover completely unsubstantiated. My timepiece underwent a complete renovation at Bienne in 2009. Nothing was mentioned at the time on this matter.

Can anyone of the forum's experts kindly throw some light on the matter?

2. sulaco Aug 19, 2013

I only know about 1002 and the later produced ones should have a 1012

Never heard of 1001

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2013

No idea what should be in that specific watch, but according to Omega technical documents, there are 3 versions of this movement:

1000 - 17 jewel version

1001 - 20 jewel chronometer version

1002 - 20 jewel non-chronometer version

The 1001 is actually the better of the 2 between the 1001 and 1002, and if your watch is supposed to be a chronometer, I would also question if it has the wrong version of the movement.

Cheers, Al

4. afinewatch Aug 19, 2013

RainMAN 777 likes this.
  5. exdiver Aug 20, 2013

Thanks for your answers so far!

Archer, I stand corrected. I relied on a statement (in writing) by a Omega Boutique Manager:

"from my personal research, I can tell you that the difference between cal. 1001 and cal. 1002 regards only the winding mechanism of the automatic: that is, in cal. 1002 there's one more ruby because cal. 1001 had lubrification problems."

Now I have downloaded Omega's tech specs at:

http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=omega caliber 1001 1002&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http://www.awci.com/wp-content/uploads/watch-tech-guides/Omega-Tech-Guides/1001-1002-1003.pdf&ei=ACQTUsC7H7HW4ATso4C4Dg&usg=AFQjCNG-Cao7jx41jrupvlJ4v7C5nXxevg

and seen that both calibers have 20 rubies. One wonders...

And no, the "Ploprof" (ref. ST166.0077) is not supposed to be a chronometer. According to:

http://www.omega-fanatic.com/pages/omega-info/omega-codes-and-movement-numbers.php

The first 3 digits of the model reference translate as follows:
    1= Gent's watch
    6= Self winding chronograph
    6= Water resistant calender.
    Which means the watch is not a chronometer, the last digit being 7 in that case.

This must therefore reasonably exclude cal. 1001 which is a chronometer. Cal. 1000 should also be excluded, I believe, on the account of having only 17 jewels, beeing an early version and ill-suited to such a expensive, professional work-tool.

So, all takes us back to what is universally stated in, among others:

- the specific technical documentation published by Omega
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14304

- the statement of Jean-Luc Miranda of the Omega museum
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?183123-Whats-going-on-here-Ploprof-content

- the database "Omega Watches and their Movements" which, while reporting other watches having had a number of different calibers, indicates only 1002 for the Ploprof
    www.chronomaddox.com/OmegaCaliberList.html

- the specs published by the special site dedicated to the model, reading: Self-winding Omega 1002 movement with 20 jewels
    http://www.ploprof.com/PloProf.html

All indicate the native movement to be Cal. 1002, with no alternative configurations.

And indeed, I have seen on the web at least a hundred descriptions of the original Seamaster 600 Ploprof of the 70', and never come across one that mounted Cal. 1001.

Still, my Ploprof is expected to have a Cal. 1001, a Constellation movement.

So, I can't but repeat my question. Does anyone on this forum know -for certain- of a Cal. 1001 delivered with ref. ST166.0077 ?

6. Dash1 Aug 20, 2013

Now, I'm afraid I can't completely clear this matter up, but.... I have 2 Ploprofs, one with a 1002 (and I have an extract from Omegas archive on this movement so know its correct for the case) and the other has a 1001, I have been looking forward to getting the extract on this one as the watch seems very original in all other ways. I was surprised to see this cal when I first opened it up, but since then have come across 2 other Ploprofs with the same movement, so I am beginning to think some where fitted (or retro fitted) with the 1001. Only an extract of the archive will tell for sure.

7. exdiver Aug 21, 2013

Thank you Ash,

it seems the matter has been settled once and for all.

I just received a letter from Omega stating among other things:

"your watch was originally produced with a 1002 caliber." and,

"the 1001 movement is not intended for this particular model."

So, it seems they no longer expect my Ploprof to have a Cal. 1001. Evidently, there has been some kind of mix-up at the archives.

Breaking news! Even the folks at Omega are fallible humans!

All is good that ends good used my grandfather say. Now I am looking forward to my extract..

Thanks to all on the forum for giving me lots of information and an insight on a new and fascinating world!

8. exdiver Aug 25, 2013

I am a bit surprised though that there were so few contributions compared to the number of views.

The Ploprof is after all one of the great Omega icons and "the" most collectable diver's watch, it is said.
    Of course, being designed to appeal to a special kind of user it was made in smaller quantities than dress watches, but there still is a whole gang of enthusiasts out there with a dedicated site, and I had expected a much broader knowledge of the model.

Any opinions on the reasons of such scarce response?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2013

Probably because they're an expensive and relatively uncommon watch in the Omega world

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  10. bloodkrishna Aug 25, 2013

would like to hear from you when u got an extract for your 1001 Ploprof

btw
    Ploprof is my dream watch, but not easy to get a nice condition one in my place,
    and I dont wanna try mailorder, I feel so insecure to buy a vintage online somehow

so end up I got a Ploprof 1200 instead, and I'm still very happy with it

11. rothsild3 Mar 18, 2014

sorry just added profile here;) and i was intrested to see how ´rare´ 1000m.I thought always it was just regular wristwatch.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2014

No problem, you post has been moved to the "Watches for Sale Forum"

13. JACK G Nov 11, 2017

As far as I am aware all original vintage Ploprofs where supplied with Cal 1002 movements.

If the watch was used by a professional diver a movement swap when serviced (not by Omega) to a Cal 1001 was sometimes done.

The movements were cheap and a swap was often a cheaper and quicker option than a service. The Cal 1001 and Cal 1002 movements are interchangeable.

I had an email discussion on this subject with Omega Bienne back in 2010 and the gist is as follows............

'The Ploprof is equipped with a calibre 1002. In some occasion it is possible that the original movement has been exchanged due to technical reasons. In such cases the identity will be retained in our system so the originality of the timepiece can be assured'.

Hope this helps.

Dr No and Taddyangle like this.
  14. Dash1 Nov 12, 2017

Well I only recently got round to getting the archive extract, however it doesn't completely clear this matter up. The extract does confirm that my movement left the factory with the ploprof case, however it refers to the calibre as 1002 where as mine is clearly marked as a 1001. Is there a chance Omega refer to the 1000 calibre family as 1002's (unlikely I guess) or has my movement (and the other 1001's I have observed in ploprof cases) been repaired in the past with 1001 movements but retained the original serial number?

15. François Pépin Nov 12, 2017

I do not anything about Ploprof watches, but as far as I know, a Seamaster 600 should have a 600 series caliber. Is the Ploprof an exception?

16. François Pépin Nov 12, 2017

Actually, my remark was inaccurate: the Seamaster 600 Ploprof is a 600 m (for meters), so nothing to do with Seamasters 600 (with in that case refers to the caliber series). Well, I have learned something!

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 12, 2017

Pictures of your movement and serial?

18. RainMAN 777 Mar 1, 2018

Thank you this is very helpful, since I was looking for the information, and it is hard to find. Not sure why omega just does not put a website with all the information up?

thanks

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 1, 2018