Forums Latest Members
  1. fsu421 Oct 20, 2015

Hello everyone,
    I just purchased another Pre-Bond Seamaster on eBay. I had some concerns before I bought it, but decided to roll the dice since I won it for $390.00. First off it doesn't have a serial # on it anywhere, my other on has it printed inside the caseback. Secondly the base of the hour hand is thicker than any other ones I've seen. Also it's missing the flat gasket for the caseback. Any help with these concerns, and any other concerns you can see from the pictures would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Minirock1980 Nov 4, 2015

Did you get any paperwork?

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. Nov 4, 2015

You are right about the hands They look wrong . wrong hands are easy to find as they are normal 120/70 hands . Looks like they come from Cousinsuk or Ebay. Regarding the gasket? Is it the teflon gasket you mean?

4. christhomas Nov 4, 2015

Saw your post and decided to take a look at my Seamaster 200. I purchased it new in 1989 or 1990. I wore it for at least 15 years solidly until one day the bezel insert fell out and was lost. I tried to get it replaced but Omega said it was obsolete and offered to replace the complete case with the slightly newer version - which they did. It has the newer one piece case back compared to the two piece original like yours. Anyway just looked inside mine and found that it has no serial numbers at all.

I guess not surprising that the case back is not marked as it has been replaced but surprised that there is nothing on the movement. Furthermore also noticed that the movement does not even have an Omega logo on it ?!. Maybe they replaced that as well when they rebuilt it. It is the same ETA reference number as yours though.

Your hour and minute hands definitely look different to mine - which I believe to be original - though who knows perhaps they replaced those as well without telling me.

Chris
    IMG_3878.JPG IMG_3879.JPG

rogart likes this.
  5. rogart ray it again, Ram. Nov 4, 2015

The case backs have different looks .There are at least three different casebacks for this watch . Take a look at this?
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f45/fa...ega-seamaster-200-pre-bond-series-316149.html

6. rogart ray it again, Ram. Nov 4, 2015

Is this the watch you bought?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

7. fsu421 Dec 12, 2015

That is actually my listing for the watch. It's a midsize and a tad small for my taste so I decided to sell it. The buyer returned it because it doesn't have the serial number on the case back. I'm not an expert but I have owned a few of these "pre-bond" Seamasters and have no doubt that this is a real Omega. I have never seen a fake pre-bond, although I'm sure they're out there. With the exception of the hour hand everything on this watch looks right to me. I believe the serial number washed off when a previous owner cleaned it. When I got it there were some smudges of what appeared to be ink from the serial number, I cleaned the remnants of ink off the case back. Does anyone have any huge concerns about this watch? I am going to wear it for a couple days and see if I can get used to the smaller size, if not I'll be relisting it and making sure the potential bidders know there is no serial number.
    here's a listing for a case back with a partially rubbed off serial number, I see a lot of Seamaster 200s with out serial numbers, is this a huge issue?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...055263?hash=item2ee9442e5f:g:6YwAAOSwhwdVUMGePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

8. rogart ray it again, Ram. Dec 13, 2015

There must be a lot of Seamaster out there without the serial number?If it is just stamped with ink?
    I am not sure but i think none of my three Seamaster has a serialnumber. Maybe they are fakes?:eek:

9. fsu421 Dec 13, 2015

Here's one on eBay with the printed serial number, the last couple numbers have rubbed off.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-O...830258?hash=item280d6b56f2:g:AAwAAOSwp5JWZ5NdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

10. fsu421 Dec 13, 2015

interesting, here's one with the same movement as yours, it doesn't have Omega on it either, and there is no serial # on this one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ome...050582?hash=item3f585737d6:g:pvAAAOSwstxVd8L2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

11. rogart ray it again, Ram. Dec 14, 2015

That is not a Omega original movement. That has been changed at some point. It's a ETA 255.461 movement. The same movement but hasn't got the Omega printed on the carbonfiber electronic module. I would not buy that. Except for a low price.

12. rogart ray it again, Ram. Dec 14, 2015

13. fsu421 Dec 14, 2015

Here's one with the same movement and no serial number
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/272065050582?rmvSB=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

14. WYO_Watch Apr 3, 2017

I am absolutely prepared and willing to accept the dead post revival memes.

Parents are having their 35th wedding anniversary. My parents exchanged watches as wedding presents and while my dad upgraded my moms diamond in her and I suggested to her to upgrade his Seiko.

My poor dad has trouble seeing the dials on his watch and therefore has switched to looking at a Fitbit. I wanted to find a watch he could wear (and see) even if it was just occasional.

Found what I believe to be a pre-bond SM 200m case back reference 396.1042. Obviously the bezel is not in the best condition, nor the lume on the markers - but the price was right (I think).

Things I need: I am guessing I will need to buy another link for the 1455 so it fits him. Also contemplating switching out the bezel. Is this a bad idea? (I will post a link to the auction on fleabay).

Things I don't know: Well I don't see a serial #, don't see a movement #, don't see the omega logo on the top side of the band although the underside has what appears to be proper numbers, and the hands are hollow without lume. The OP also has a gold crown, mine is silver.

IMG_6013.JPG
    IMG_5875.JPG
    IMG_5876.JPG IMG_5878.JPG IMG_6017.JPG IMG_6018.JPG IMG_6020.JPG

15. WYO_Watch Apr 3, 2017

This bezel costs roughly $37 - obviously I would keep the old one as well, but he may like the look of it being "new."
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSER...120070?hash=item25b6d3be46:g:-nMAAOSwFnFWBzF-Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

An extra link (or two) - pretty pricey at $50+ a pop.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OMEGA-G...478456?hash=item43ffcdae78:g:WM8AAOSwv0tU7cRQPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What I am guessing my clasp should look like with the logo (don't feel like this is worth replacing IMO).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-brace...882665?hash=item1eb1da25e9:g:tJoAAOSwMHdXTOP3Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

16. fsu421 Apr 3, 2017

Howdy,
    My dad is a big Wyoming Cowboy fan! From everything I've learned about the pre-bond Seamasters, this watch looks correct. The movement is an ETA 255.561, which is the Omega 1441, which is correct for this watch. Usually there is Omega printed on the gold piece, not sure how it could have worn off, maybe the movement was replaced, but it is the correct movement. I'm definitely not an expert, and I could be wrong, but everything I know about these watches tells me this is 100% authentic and correct, with a chance the movement was replaced. I never liked the aftermarket bezel inserts, the lume is not correct and looks really fake. The most common problem I see with these watches is the bezel lume falls out or designates over time. I would keep the original bezel, just my opinion, but even as worn as it is, it fits with the watch and it's authentic. The link is real and it's a good deal. I would absolutely buy the clasp right away! That is the best deal I have ever seen on an unused authentic clasp, that's a great find! Hope some of this helps, maybe one of the true Omega experts on the forum will give their input too!

WYO_Watch likes this.
  17. fsu421 Apr 3, 2017

After looking a little closer I was wondering, does the crown have the Omega symbol on it? It looks to be in great shape and could have been replaced too. I've seen the 200's with both gold and silver crowns with the gold bezel. The serial # should be on the inside of the case back, but it's just printed in ink, I've seen many with no serial #, and many with smudged or partially worn off serial numbers.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  18. WYO_Watch Apr 5, 2017

Thank you for the reassurance! The movement looked correct in comparison, but I thought it was weird I could not find a single Omega marking.

I guess I am less concerned with the hands - can the lume just break out of them? My dad doesn't need a perfect watch, just one he can read.

I think I will be heeding your bezel advise - the more I thought about it the more I disliked the idea of a shiny new bezel on a scratched up watch.

Now just to find out how many extra links he needs. I take it my clasp is after marker then? Even as great of a deal as the new one is, percentage wise increases my investment in this watch significantly. I have noticed however, that bracelets are not cheap for these watches. I found it very comfortable when I wore for a few days of "testing".

And of course, GO POKES! Did your dad graduate from UW?