Forums Latest Members
  1. xcentric Apr 1, 2015

So, I know buying these is a somewhat 'interesting' proposition - can people give me their views on these 2 that I've found?

Number 1:

sm300-2.jpg
    more pictures on the c24 link - I know, I know, someone else may dive in, but I assume most people looking out for these are already scouring there. And if they are good, please let me grab a birth year one.....
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/seamaster-300m-vintage--id3152163.htm

Number 2:
    sm300.jpg

https://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/r...4--id3195464.htm?urlSubpath=/user/notepad.htm

So - trying to show I may have learned something from my time here - number one seems too clean, case over polished, ?hands too large and almost certainly replaced, replacement bezel?

Number 2 looks more genuine, though a bit tatty.....

but expertise welcomed from here.

thanks.

2. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Apr 1, 2015

The Lume on the top picture looks too new and not correctly applied and the bottom ones Lume is shot. What is your birth year before 67 I assume. Not a fan of the naiad crown that would account for the condition of the dial and you would need a look of the movement for water ingress.
    Just checked the ads they are big money for tatty watches I would leave alone if I were you.

3. xcentric Apr 1, 2015

1964. thanks for input.

4. calalum Apr 1, 2015

Personally, I too would be more patient and keep looking. Don't like the looks of either of them. I haven't been following the market; are those really rational prices in today's world, or just eternal optimism?

5. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 1, 2015

They secret to collecting is patience...the other key to collecting nice pieces is to not look for a specific reference. If you are open to several types of models and set a goal of only buying a good example you will find your collection quality will be much higher. If you have to have a specific model watch, especially one that is hard to find to begin with you will settle for a less than desirable piece. And thats exactly what you have presented here...two very poor examples. I would pass on both and wait for the right example. Not even to mention the prices...what are the sellers thinking?

Stewart H, Event horizon and noelekal like this.
  6. calalum Apr 2, 2015

That is a much more eloquent version of what I was trying to communicate.

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 2, 2015

I agree with @CajunTiger but would add one observation. If a watch on your target list is particularly scarce, it is worth considering buying one that doesn't meet your condition criteria and then carrying on looking for a better one. If you find a better one then buy it and either sell the inferior one or keep both. That way, you have not missed out on owning the watch that you desire. Of course, I don't know your financial situation, but that is my philosophy and there are some very scarce watches on my target list (also some quite common ones)

If a watch is not so scarce - such as the SM300, as a general reference - as CT says hold out for one that meets your desired condition requirements. They will go up in price as time goes on but that is all relative to its value.