Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300m sapphire easily scratched?

1. superclarkey Jun 24, 2017

I purchased this year a lovely omega seamaster 300m, (212.30.41.20.03.001) main reason I purchased it was for the ceramic bezel and scratch resistant sapphire crystal, so it could be a daily, now I know it's says scratch resistant but I am finding it is hair line scratching like crazy!! Now it can't be the sapphire so is there some bullshit AR coating on the watch they haven't made me aware of, because if there is that would explain why it looks like ass!?!?? Really disappointed, makes me want to put it back in the box and not wear it :-(

If it has an AR coating like many of my camera L-lens I would have babied it more but I didn't know or can't find out if it has.

What's the cost of a new glass?

I presume it's not just poor quality Sapphire?

Edited Jun 24, 2017
    Vox Optimatium likes this.
  2. fskywalker Jun 24, 2017

The AR coating is what tends to get scratched more easily, not the sapphire per se

3. superclarkey Jun 24, 2017

Sorry I had to edit the post as it posted it before I was finished.

I wasn't made aware of the watch having an AR coating, if I had been I would never touched it with anything other than the same stuff I use on my lens....

Very very disappointed this wasn't mentioned to me when purchasing the watch from omega as I bloody well asked the sales lady!!

What's the cost to replace?

4. superclarkey Jun 24, 2017

If not will remove glass and soak it in acetone to that shit comes right off!

Vox Optimatium, sah and fskywalker like this.
  5. fskywalker Jun 24, 2017

Sapphire replacement probably like $200 USD plus labor. You can remove the exterior AR coating (it also has interior AR coating) with Cape Cod, polywatch or any other similar chemical (acetone might do the trick); need to make sure to cover well the ceramic bezel to avoid it getting stained or damaged in the process (or if you have the right tool play safe and remove the bezel assembly). Good luck!

6. superclarkey Jun 24, 2017

I might just approach someone that knows what they are doing and ask them to remove the ar coating..

What where omega thinking, I can't think of anything worse to put on the outside face...

Best bit is it scratched from going in the ocean (seamaster my arse) with the watch, all I did was wipe my finger across it without much pressure as it was smudged and that was enough to scratch it, tbh I know its my fault but its so annoying to find out the hard way instead of being told prior, it's not fit for purpose...

I have shit watches that I've had a decade not a single mark, so so stupid.

7. Madjam1966 Jul 18, 2017

Wow. That is crazy. Do other SMPc owners experience similar issues with AR coating?

Vox Optimatium and fskywalker like this.
  8. Kmart Jul 18, 2017

My guess is that OP did a bit more than "wipe his finger across it"...

ac106 and fskywalker like this.
  9. billyblue Jul 18, 2017

Ha, welcome to the luxury watch world [emoji16]

Except Rolex, outside AR coating is pretty standard.

10. drhex Jul 19, 2017

The coating is actually quite resilient. If you rub quarz (sand) across it (which is how I interpret the ops post) it will scratch of course. What happened to the days where people took responsibility for their actions instead of blaming the rest of the world? Wording doesn't help either in my book.

fskywalker likes this.
  11. wayneG Jul 21, 2017

I honestly didn't realise there's AR coating on these. They still seem to reflect quite a lot.

12. colin t Jul 23, 2017

You can remove the AR coating yourself using 'Polywatch', a soft cloth and some elbow grease. Some have said that chromium cleaner (e.g. Autosol) also does the trick, but mask off the other parts of the watch first.

13. wilfreb Jul 23, 2017

Mine has been on my wrist since it's arrival and looks flawlessly, but I'll be lying if I say I'm not worried about scratching the outer AR coating, but at the same time I love how clean the dial looks with it [​IMG]

Vox Optimatium, Northernman and Tet like this.
  14. gvids Jul 23, 2017

My SMP is now three years old, and truly I have not had any real issues with scratching. I agree with other posters, the AR coating is pretty resilient!

image.jpg
  15. wolf Jul 26, 2017

The exterior AR coating on my 2500 PO has many scratches over the years. They were hairline and only visible at certain angles, I just kind of looked upon them as battle scars. I do appreciate the Omega AR when I am wearing other watches.

Vox Optimatium and wilfreb like this.
  16. cpm57 Oct 6, 2017

I have a very small area where the AR coating is scratched. It bugs me because I know it`s there but you honestly have to look very closely in just the right lighting to see it. The AR coating is a double edge sword in that it`s realy nice to have but you do have to be more careful with it compared to an uncoated sapphire crystal. I own an optical shop and there is a solution that will strip the AR coating (we use it on eyeglasses all the time) but I would be very careful about doing that.

17. COYI Oct 9, 2017

When did Omega start using AR coating to the outside of the crystal on the Seamaster Professional range?

I have a 50th anniversary Seamaster GMT from around 2008 and I think it is only coated on the inside.

18. JSal16 Oct 9, 2017

And here is the beauty of owning a Speedy with the original hesalite glass. It's SUPER easy to buff out with PolyWatch!!! This $6 product is amazing. It will make even the worst faces look brand spanking new again!!!

polywatch-plastic-lens-scratch-remover-0.jpeg
  19. wilfreb Oct 9, 2017

Since the last update to ceramic in 2012 I think.

Vox Optimatium and COYI like this.
  20. Perseus Oct 9, 2017

I had an early Planet Ocean that had AR on the exterior. Didn't those start coming out around 2004?