Forums Latest Auctions Members

Seamaster 300 Spring Bars

1. rob09

rob09 May 14, 2018

Hi guys,

I've searched for a definitive answer to this, but still can't find one.

Are there two different sizes or spring bar, depending on strap or bracelet, to suit the Seamaster 300?

I went to an Omega Boutique last week to get a Nato strap. They came back with my watch (Nato fitted), the original bracelet and two spring bars (I assumed the original ones from the bracelet) in a plastic bag.

I assumed that they just put new spring bars on, because I had asked about this beforehand, but didn't think much of it.

Fast forward until today and I went to swap NATO for the bracelet for a change, using the two spring bars in the bag. Could not for the life of me, get the spring bars in. Tried the bars by themselves (without the bracelet to get in the way) and I could JUST squeeze them in, but can't imagine it's possible on the bracelet.

I then noticed that the bars that were with the NATO were slightly shorter. (23.42mm uncompressed V 24.41mm). Put the shorter ones in the bracelet and fitted it no problem.

I did some searching and found this;

Hoping someone can clarify this once and for all, are there different sizes for bracelet or strap?

Thank you kindly.

2. Meme-Dweller

Meme-Dweller May 14, 2018

That's pretty weird. They should've used the curved spring bars for your NATO in the first place.

rob09 likes this.
  3. rob09

rob09 May 14, 2018

I asked if the NATO came with the curved bars, to quote the boutique, "The strap order does includes 2 spring bars, but it is a standard 21mm spring bars not curved ones for other NATO(thicker material)straps"

4. trama

trama May 14, 2018

rob09,
    I’ve been switching back and forth between strap and bracelet on my MC 300 for years without issues. Just the straight spring bars that came with the bracelet. I replaced the spring bars this year, just out of habit. I do many sports and activities with the watch and periodically replace most critical bits of all my gear including things like springbars, batteries, and O-rings (obv batteries not needed for my watch). They were provided by my local boutique, identical to the originals and straight. They install and work fine for both strap and bracelet. If you have fitment issues it must be because of improperly sized spring bars.

As an aside, pick a cool avatar before a crappy squirrelly one gets picked for you ;)

rob09 likes this.
  5. rob09

rob09 May 14, 2018

Thank you, I'm now thinking they installed the NATO on the original spring bars and provided a set of replacement ones that were wrong, but could be forced to fit.

Just going to keep using the ones the boutique supplied with the NATO, have to assume they know what they're doing.

Thanks for your advice.

6. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 15, 2018

Yes, straps typically use longer bars. No idea what specific watch "Semaster 300" refers to, as it could be several, so if you provide the reference number of the watch I'll check the part number you need for the spring bars.

Cheers, Al

rob09 likes this.
  7. rob09

rob09 May 15, 2018

Thank you Al, ref is 233.30.41.21.01.001, but i'm not sure how I could get a part number off the bars.

The bars that were on the strap are actually the shorter of the two.

8. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 15, 2018

That is on a steel bracelet, 21 mm lug width, so the spring bar for the bracelet is 068ST2208 - note that this is actually the bar used for straps on watches with 20 mm lugs.

I see a regular leather strap listed for that case, but they don't show the spring bar, however I'm confident it would use the slightly longer 068ST2209 for the leather straps.

Cheers, Al

rob09 likes this.
  9. rob09

rob09 May 15, 2018

Interesting, that would explain the bracelet having the longer bars and my new strap having the shorter. I'll have to try and swap over to the longer ones on the bracelet.

Thank you for looking into that, wealth of information.

10. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Jan 15, 2020

I've been looking into this myself, for my Speedmaster Racing Co-Axial Master Chronometer (329.30.44.51.01.002)... I bought it a few days ago with the steel bracelet, but in the future when I change to the perforated leather strap will it need different spring bars?

068ST2208 for the steel bracelet
    068ST2209 for the leather strap

Is that it?

11. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 16, 2020

Strictly speaking, you can use the shorter bars for the strap. Omega uses the longer bars because they are more secure.

Tom

SergioRZ likes this.
  12. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 16, 2020

Yes.

SergioRZ and BradleyJ. like this.
  13. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Jan 16, 2020

Thanks for your help guys! :)