Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300 - serial number location

1. 17SGS Aug 27, 2019

I am looking for the s/n on the case of my Seamaster and not seeing it in the expected location (back of lug at 7 o'clock). Seeing some info that say older watches may have it on the inside of the case, but no definition of "older".

Just got this and am not specifically concerned about authenticity (bought from a very reputable local AD) but surprised not to see it there. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? I have looked all over the watch and don't see it anywhere else. All I have found is the band number (826). I have the cards with the box, so I have the serial number. Per that number (84xxxxxx), it should be 2008 vintage.

Appreciate any info that you can provide. Thanks.

2. Pvt-Public Aug 27, 2019

It may be that the serial number is on the movement and the Omega reference number is on the inside of the case back.

Foo2rama and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Donn Chambers Aug 27, 2019

If it's a 2008 watch, the serial number should be on the lug. But during that era, many grey market dealers polished the number off to obscure which AD it came from. I bet it started out in the grey market.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 27, 2019

I had a Seamaster in the same serial number range and it was on the lug.

5. 17SGS Aug 27, 2019

I wondered about that (if it had been polished off). Wasn't sure if that was a thing or not, but it makes sense in the context you describe. I do not plan to sell the watch (i'm becoming a 'keeper' of certain things) so not overly worried about impact on value, but I do want to be certain that what I have is authentic. Any other suggestions on verification are appreciated. I plan to pass this (and other future purchases) down to my heirs eventually.

6. tyrantlizardrex Aug 27, 2019

Would be worth contacting the AD and asking where the serial number has gone...

17SGS likes this.
  7. Donn Chambers Aug 27, 2019

Posting pictures of the watch would help. You say you bought it at an AD, but did you buy it as new in 2008, or used more recently? If used, then you can’t really blame the AD and if you bought it new in 2008, it’s probably way to late to complain.

8. 17SGS Aug 27, 2019

Update - mystery solved. I was looking for something on the size scale of the number on the band. Under some very bright light, I did detect and was able to confirm the s/n (and it is correct to the card that I received). Thanks to the Mrs for having better eyes than I do!

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Aug 27, 2019

He says he just got it... I don’t think there’s any issue with asking a reputable AD why they’ve sold a watch which sounds like it’s had its serial number scrubbed...

10. tyrantlizardrex Aug 27, 2019

::facepalm1:: :D:thumbsup:

17SGS and blufinz52 like this.
  11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 27, 2019

Someone needs to make an appointment with an optometrist! :whistling:

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. 17SGS Aug 27, 2019

Getting older is a b!tch. :D

blufinz52 and tyrantlizardrex like this.