Forums Latest Members
  1. wcdhtwn Apr 21, 2018

Hi, I'm new to this forum (active on The Rolex Forums) and just starting to feel my way around. So if this should be posted elsewhere please let me know, or Mods, please move to appropriate place.

Here's the set up: A friend of mine has an almost 3 year old Seamaster 300 Co-Axial. A couple of days ago, Thursday I think, it stopped running. He wears it daily and winds it if he needs to. It's the only watch he wears. When it stopped he wound it, it ran for a while then stopped again. Another full wind and after an hour or less it stopped. Friday he comes by and I look at it, it's started running again inexplicably, and I gave it a full wind. It's been running since.

I recommended he take it to the Omega Boutique in Houston to have them look at it, which he did and I went with him. One of the sales guys there, not the onsite technician, discussed what was happening and looked at the watch, not the inside. He noted a couple of small dings, one on the crown (more of a scratch than a dent) and one on the case, opposite side about at about the 8:00 mark. To be clear this is on the side of the case, not the bezel or crystal. To me neither are significant, I couldn't see them without a loupe, these weren't caused by a major shock to the watch. And my friend has no idea how these got here, he doesn't baby it but doesn't beat it up either. The most rigorous action it sees is when he (I may not be allowed to say this so apologies if not) shoots sporting clays. Which he does regularly, tournaments etc.

The sales guy said that based on these two marks that he believes the watch has suffered internal damage and needs to be sent to Omega. This starts at $550 and takes 8-10 weeks.
    Here's the first question: How could the sales guy know, and he was certain, that it needs to be sent in just from seeing these two small marks? Again he didn't open the watch, they don't do that there. The technician is supposed to test the watch, the 6 point test, whatever that is. Will testing how well the watch is keeping time reveal the likelihood of other damage and help pinpoint the possible cause (at least give the Omega people enough info for an educated guess)? Is it possible for the watch to keep time within specs and still have a problem with the spring or something else causing it to stop? The watch doesn't lose or gain time that one would notice over the course of a few hours.

Other questions:
    Is there any chance that it stopping several times is just an anomaly? Does this watch have a track record of this issue? I searched in here and google but didn't find anything specific to this issue.
    Does Omega have service centers in the US? Or will this actually have to be sent to Switzerland? If there are centers in the US could anyone let me know where they are?
    I have a Seamaster circa 1998, see my avatar, and it's always been a tank. As are my Rolexes. I would think the Seamaster 300 is also a tank and can take a good beating and not be affected. Am I wrong about this? Is the Co-Axial not as sturdy as one would expect?
    There are several places in Houston that could (probably) fix whatever the problem. However them accessing Omega parts isn't certain, probably unlikely. He isn't looking to sell it, but if he did how important to resale, and overall long term quality, that any broken parts be replaced with genuine Omega parts? I know this is important for Rolex so I'd assume the same for Omega. Should I steer him away from using not Omega parts?

I know pictures help but I didn't take any and the watch is now at the Omega Boutique. Not sure my iPhone could zoom in far enough to take a clear picture of these two spots anyway.

Any insight to some or all of these questions would be highly appreciated. My friend bought this after falling on some hard times, more personal than financial but financial too, as a "pick me up". He didn't want to spent the $$ for the Rolex he liked so I suggested this watch to him. While I'm not responsible I'd like to help him figure this out. At least figure enough out that whatever action he decides to take he feels comfortable with the decision.

Thanks, and sorry my first post here is so lengthy. I'm looking forward to being a member of this forum and meeting lots of new watch enthusiasts!