Forums Latest Members
  1. JwRosenthal Jan 17, 2020

And this is the kind of thing that will keep me from buying one over the other sometimes- if both watches being equal and one has the original bracelet, even at a premium because of the bracelet- I will opt for the complete one just to not have to hassle with having to track down the bracelet. I have several watches that I waited until I found the watch complete with bracelet.

2. Patrik83 Jan 17, 2020

::rimshot::

JwRosenthal likes this.
  3. Wooden_spoon Jan 17, 2020

Wow that’s amazing

4. JwRosenthal Jan 17, 2020

Gotta love auto-correct...sometimes it knows what we actually are thinking.

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 18, 2020

Don't worry. Buy it. All good for that price. Case back engraving will be something private. And for the Canadian Air force delivery: rather like a PX type duty free private purchase. Same with many US purchases from the airforce and navy stores.... kind regards. Achim

janice&fred likes this.
  6. john_coburg Jan 18, 2020

Thank you all. Very helpful indeed. It certainly seems the watch is 'good' for the price, or at least I seem not to be missing any blatant red flags, which was I was nervous about as I don't know the reference particularly well.
    I believe the seller already has the extract, so am certainly not expecting anything unusual to show up on it.
    It is a Huguenin Freres case incidentally, marked 165024 (no dots or 'year-like' number), probably around the time of transition to CB?
    Do collectors tend to have a preference for HF or CB in this reference? Aesthetically, they seem to be more similar than for the Speedmaster, for example. I can't tell the difference.
    I'll post a picture once I have it in my hand.

JulianVFR likes this.
  7. kox Jan 18, 2020

@john_coburg , you might want to double check the chrono24 listings from the seller. "Your" watch isn't a non subreference 165.024 serial 229x from january 1966. He has two listnings and has mix/matched the text for these. The text for yours match his other listning for a 165.024-64.

That's one thing.

And then you might want to look at this WoK november auction, lot 139, where your watch was under the hammer. This thread (and the chrono24 listning) is missing the money shot - the movement picture and serial. Below is one from the WoK auction. So "yours" has a serial 24723xxx, which is an ok range for a HF non-subreference 165.024 (but no guarantee for match in the archieves mind you).
    BTW: You can see that the upper bridge has the engraved text from a certified chronometer movement. And the cal. 552 wasn't and shouldn't have that text. So upper bridge has been wrongly changed for one.
    The serial points to a production in the summer of 1967, and IMO that is to late for the baton hands and to early for the B5 type bezel. So unlikely that the watch left the factory like this - IMO!

Whether the price is still fair I won't judge, but something extra for you to consider and check up upon.

Be careful out there ...

[​IMG]

8. Dan S Jan 18, 2020

Unparalleled research. :thumbsup:

9. Shabbaz Jan 18, 2020

Next time I buy a SM 300 could everybody tell me please to check with @kox first?

Edited Jan 18, 2020
    watchyouwant, Pinoysurf and kox like this.
  10. john_coburg Jan 18, 2020

Thank you very much indeed for this excellent investigative work. But i'm a little lost.
    I can certainly see he's sloppily mixed up the text in the two listings - pretty poor.
    But you're saying 'mine' isn't a non-subreference.. what does that mean? you mean it isn't a 165.024-XX ? I don't think he ever claimed it was?
    And later on you mention the correct serial (247xxxx rather than 229xxxx) is ok for a HF non-subref, in which case, this watch is probably okay as a 165.024, as it is/has always been described (although no guarantee) - so i'm not sure i see the real problem quite yet?
    Re. the engraved text on the upper bridge - yes, this certainly sounds more worrying. Makes me suspicious about the whole watch now.
    He apparently has the extract (showing 1966), so as we previously conceded, the hands and the bezel might be replacements... but for £4k, perhaps that didn't matter all that much, given they look to be by Omega.
    I agree the listing mix-up and the replaced upper bridge are additional warning signs... maybe i'll ask for £500 off and see what he says.
    Meanwhile, thank you very much for taking the time to write this up - it is much appreciated.
    John

11. kox Jan 18, 2020

There's properly no problem with the seller, besides his sloppy mix-up. But you think that the watch is from january 1966 because of the extract claim. It isn't. That extract and date is for the serial 229x, reference 165.024-64, his other listning.
    Just pointed out and meant that your's is a 165.024 (non-subreference) with serial 247x, and that is not from january 1966, but from mid 1967. This is crucial to understand if the type of parts on the watch are ok, not just in regards to reference number, but more important, production date. And I just gave you my view on that. For instance, if the serial was a 229x, then the baton hands would have been ok for instance.
    Yes, seller didn't state a wrong reference no. in the add, but everything else he writes is wrong. Also the bracelets ref. no. and date code.

Enjoy the watch if you buy it.

12. john_coburg Jan 18, 2020

Thanks Kox, I've caught up now. I'm with you. Thank you again - I'll see how i feel about it in the flesh.

kox likes this.
  13. Dan S Jan 18, 2020

I think the point is that given the actual 24.7M serial number, the originality of some parts are questionable. Obviously, there is also the replaced bridge. It is probably a good time to take a step back and do some research.

kox and marco like this.
  14. roleex Jan 19, 2020

6000USD better conditions with strap. I didn’t take

15. john_coburg Jan 26, 2020

Just to round this off, I dealt at £3,500. I felt that was an okay price, and more importantly, i'm really happy with the piece.
    Here's a picture of it next to my 145.022-71, whose case it pairs with quite elegantly i think.
    Interesting that the 'asymmetric' case (first made by HF?) seemed to come to the Seamaster 300 before it reached 'fame' in the Speedmaster?

20200126_232131.jpg Screenshot_20200124-224232_Gallery.jpg
    wagudc, Etp095, marco and 9 others like this.
  16. watchlovr Jan 27, 2020

I’d have bought it for that price.
    Worth more than that in parts.
    Nice looking thing.

17. verithingeoff Jan 27, 2020

Well done.....enjoy:cool:

18. john_coburg Jan 27, 2020

And while i'm here... would anyone have an easy way of fixing the bezel that doesn't quite line up properly? I can't quite ignore it!

19. Dan S Jan 27, 2020

Wear that watch and enjoy it! And work on that OCD. :D

janice&fred likes this.
  20. verithingeoff Jan 27, 2020

The bezel on my SM300 is bi directional and turns easily. I guess yours has a build up of crud preventing it from turning. Take it to a watchmaker who understands old Omegas, the insert is very easily damaged.

Just another thought, is the crystal new?