Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial lume

1. Robert D Sep 26, 2015

Hello guys, I really like this new model but I'm not crazy about the vintage lume, do you think Omega might offer a white lume model in the future ?

Trifide likes this.
  2. lillatroll Sep 27, 2015

Difficult to know that one. I am going to buy one in the next few weeks. If I am honest I would prefer a white lume too, but the overall look of the watch works for me so it's not a deal breaker.

3. Lrlx Dec 8, 2015

I don't think they ever will. It's also not as yellow as Omega's stock photos make it seem.

4. taz101 Dec 8, 2015

No way whole point is its meant to replicate the 50s design motif

5. nmttd2 Dec 8, 2015

The vintage lume is what is great about the watch. Here's mine in real world pictures. Heh

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  6. jud Dec 8, 2015

^^^^^^^
    I am normally not a two tone guy, but that watch is stunning.

7. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 9, 2015

Interesting colour choice for the lume, looks like it was intended to match the gold of the bracelet. Also interesting is that they recessed the lume plots, wonder if they did this to allow thicker lume, or as a simple design feature.

At a quick glance it looks like a 50 Fantom BP.

8. Sausalito Dec 9, 2015

Love their colour choice of the lume. The 300 was Omega's perfect opportunity to produce a watch that doesn't look exactly like, or look similar to the hundreds of other dive watchs on the market. I love how Omega cast aside the notion that lume has to be white. Looking forward to seeing how watch designers incorporate new, creative coulours in the future.

9. jaymyms Dec 9, 2015

I love a little bit of warmth on a dial.

10. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 10, 2015

Just noticed the lume shot.

Why is the pearl and minute hand glowing green while the rest is glowing blue?

I know that the WB on the camera can change the colour, but is it possible to have only the minute hand WB show green while the rest shows blue?

11. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Dec 10, 2015

Take the Spectre LE - than the lume has the same colour on both hands and markers ;-)

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2015

All the current generation of Omega divers are like that, its so when using the bezel underwater you can easily differentiate the pearl and minute hand, those being the two used to time a dive and can ignore the green as superfluous. That includes the Planet Ocean and Seamaster Pro "Bond" Ceramic now.

The recessed lume plots are because the 2913 originally had that feature too, they've put a lot of effort into getting the character elements of the '57 model into it while using all their latest toys and materials.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  13. flw history nerd Dec 10, 2015

I got my SM300 about three weeks ago, and while I love the color of the lume, I wonder if any others who have this watch think that maybe it's not bright enough. I wear a watch to bed at night (if I stir and roll over, I'm always going to check the time), and I have a bit of trouble focusing on the watch face enough to read the time. My Seamaster 300M Diver has the skeleton hands, and I find them difficult to see as well. The only watch that I never have a problem reading clearly in the dark at a glance is my Rolex Submariner, since it has both the round dot markers and the fully lumed hands.

Just curious what others may think ...

14. yinzerniner Dec 10, 2015

I can see your point - in terms of lume amount, brightness, and legibility you can't go wrong with either a Sub, Seiko Marine Master or older SMP like the 2254 with the fully lumed hands.
    While the SM300 MC has plenty of lume in order to keep the vintage look it had to keep the hands as close as possible to the original so they didn't get all the fill that they could have. Also, I don't think the SM300 MC was every designed as a tool watch that needed to have great lume - see the sapphire caseback, and brushed bracelet center links.

15. Superdoc Dec 10, 2015

I always find the lume to be a pleasant surprise... but never really think about it otherwise...

The SM300 isn't necessarily lacking in Lume , there are certainly better , and there are worse.... it definitely outshines the Submariner... but it doesn't come close to the PO...

DSC06244.JPG DSC06309.jpg DSC05552.jpg DSC05811e.jpg DSC06806.JPG

lulofr, T WIN and Horlogerie like this.
  16. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 11, 2015

Regarding lume brightness, as soon as you move away from the standard C3 and C1 colours, the glow decreases.

I stock of most lume colours from RC Tritec, and without a doubt C3 A+ (green glow, yellow-green colour) is unbeatable as far as brightness is concerned. Next is C1 A+ (green glow, white colour) and then BGW9 (blue glow, white colour) is next, but I find it very weak, although it does last all night. Maybe my colour vision in the blue spectrum is poor and it just looks weak to my eyes.

RC Tritec shows all the colours they produce and the relative brightness of each, so this colour falls down on the scale somewhat.

Rob

17. lillatroll Dec 11, 2015

I also find the lume weak, but it doesn't really bother me as I only wake up in the middle of the night to use the facilities and I already know it's 3:30am, regular as clock work.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 11, 2015

I think the brightest Omegas are still probably the Seamaster Pro 2254.50 and Great White GMT, they're like having a torch on your wrist even compared to the PO, probably no co-incidence that it does have that yellowy-green lume and a ton of it.

19. Robert D Dec 12, 2015

With the Speedmaster 57 they have "Vintage" and "White" Lume models, maybe Basel 2016 will have some surprises.

..... and my 2254 is readable all night long, excellent lume.