Forums Latest Members
  1. oilseed May 30, 2017

I'm working on this watch.
    Orginal_SM300.jpg
    I removed the Bezel and carefully 'cleaned' all the dirt and grime that had accumulated over the years. Of course being careful about the ruby spring balls (so as not to let the pop out). Unfortunately, I 'did not', pay careful attention to the 'exact' location of the 'bezel spring' in relation to it's placement on the Bezel.

I noted that there is a 'notch' (for case knife or other special bezel removal tool) on the Bezel itself (as it mates to the Case)
    IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

This 'notch' is located exactly at the '0' min mark (or at the small triangle locating on the Bezel ring).
    IMG_0783a.jpg

IMG_0784a.jpg

Question: where in relation to this ' notch' does the 'spring' get placed? ... or does it matter?
    Spring_postion.jpg

thanks

Dash1 likes this.
  2. watchlovr May 31, 2017

As far as i know it makes no difference.

gemini4 and Archer like this.
  3. oilseed May 31, 2017

Thanks Watchlovr, I appreciate the feedback. :thumbsup:

Actually, I'm a bit surprised by the 'lack of' comments... :confused: (However I did see that Archer 'liked' your reply as well. so that makes 2.

I guess you never know what pushes 'buttons' on the forums. ;)

unless there is further comment, I'll just pop it back on.

Cheers

PS. A note regarding the 'removal' of the bezel ring.
    I 'did' see Archer's post (in 2014) about NOT using case knifes (or other such tools) to PRY or LEVER off Bezels.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/please-dont-pry-your-bezels-off.4845/#post-56987
    Most informative. :thumbsup: But since I do not have that unique and special Omega Bezel tool (wish I did), I had to resort to a more rudimentary method. I 'did' use a case knife, but DID NOT apply any levering/twisting action against the bezel or the case.
    I simply slide the knife into the 'notch' area (a Bergeon model to be accurate, as it has a nicer edge than others I've used) and then moved the knife 'slowly' around the edge (between the case and the bezel ring). The 'wedging action' of the knife 'itself' was enough to ever so slowly work the bezel ring up and off.
    your experience and success may (and probably will) depend on other factors (dirt and grime build up being one of those, the more of this junk, the harder it is to get it off).

Anyway, it worked for me, with no visible damage imparted to the case or Bezel ring. in this case, patience 'is' a virtue :)

Edited May 31, 2017
  4. bags1971 May 31, 2017

nice watch tho i do like the big triangle

5. noiseboyuk Jun 1, 2017

I've found that a gentle 'prying' action works pretty well to remove the bezel. However, I use a high quality watchmakers pocket knife which has a much thinner blade (although not sharp) than the 'Bergeon' product.
    I've not found the spring location to be an issue. However, when refitting, I have discovered that 'feeding' the bezel and spring in from the side, prior to pressing the rest of the bezel down, works best.

6. DON Jun 1, 2017

As mentioned. Doesn't matter as spring will turn inside when bezel rotated.

I found the best way to remove is by pressing on the edge of the bezel to locate the flat spot of the spring (bezel will press in a little) and use a blade to lift the bezel at the opposite side while pressing on it. Pressing will make the spring spread out a bit to make it easier to lift

Same when placing back on. Place the flat part down. Press in and then snap down. The creates less damage to the case bezel lip with removing and replacing

DON