Seamaster 300. 166.024. Big Triangle. Service recommendation in Sydney, Australia

Greetings fellow watch lovers.

My father has recently had the great fortune to be offered a lovely old 300 'Big Triangle' by a friend, who bought it new in (approx) 1968. He is a country fellow, and tradesmen, so it has been well worn, but has held up well all things considered. It has sadly spent many years sitting unloved in a drawer prior to its recent unearthing. The owner hasn't worn it for a very long time and has offered to just give it to my Dad. We don't think the owner realises how valuable it is and we feel it would not be right to accept it as a gift and so, on behalf of my father, I will be offering the owner a handsome amount to purchase it.

Although it is running, I would like to have it serviced here in Sydney prior to him wearing it. So, I was wondering if there were any recommendations for watchmakers that can be trusted to do this kind of work.

I will attach some pics so that you can see the issue I describe below.

At some stage someone has attempted to remove the movement and has snapped the head off the screw that holds the small movement retaining plate (bracket?). The screw shaft will need to be removed and replaced. The movement is currently only held in with one screw and plate which is why it appears off centre in the pics.

I will not be requesting any case refinishing/polishing but I would like the crystal to be polished. The dial and lume is dull but also won't be getting altered. There are some white areas on the dial that look like lume that has deteriorated and shifted onto the black areas of the dial around the markers. I'm guessing that it is better not to touch that, and it actually doesn't look that bad with the naked eye. (worse in close up pics)

We are not buying this watch to re-sell and it will be worn and loved and eventually handed down to me. Whatever work we undertake now is to restore it to a working and reliable condition.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story and looking at the photos. I would also love to hear any thoughts regarding the originality and period accuracy of the parts. There's some great references online that I have been reading and it appears to me to be original.

IMG_6159-2.jpg IMG_6172.jpg IMG_6173.jpg IMG_6160.JPG IMG_6161.JPG IMG_6165.JPG IMG_6166.JPG IMG_6169.JPG
Edited:

An electronic discharge machine can remove that screw, a slot can be cut into the remaining shaft, or it can be removed chemically. Any good watchmaker will be able to do that, so don't worry about that.

Your countymen will share recommendations soon!

For a beauty like this, I would strongly suggest contacting Adam Lewis in Perth. He has a high level of care and has parts. It is just a postage cost. I have sent a few to him and have not been disappointed.
https://www.lewiswatchco.com/

Sydney watchmakers can do that, but you will have to wait a while for omega trained ones. Because of long waiting lists.... Best in Sydney will be Joe Santos from Christina Jewellers . Refer to Achim from Coffs Harbour; that might hopefully speed up times and lower the estimate..... If you don't want to wait long, you have to send it to me in Coffs and I forward it to my watchmaker. He does not take on new customers, therefore the detour. Adds $40 courier on top. Cpl. Service without parts will be around A$ 300 plus time for removing the screw. Should need around 10 days max. If you want it pressure tested, parts and seals are needed. That gives you an idea about prices, when you ask around in Sydney. Kind regards. Achim

For a beauty like this, I would strongly suggest contacting Adam Lewis in Perth. He has a high level of care and has parts. It is just a postage cost. I have sent a few to him and have not been disappointed.
https://www.lewiswatchco.com/
Thanks for the recommendation Jim. I've had a look at the website and Adam certainly appears to be just the type of craftsman I'm looking for. The only reason I asked for Sydney watchmakers was because I am a little concerned with using couriers. I'm sure if I decide to send it, that I could find a reliable service.

Sydney watchmakers can do that, but you will have to wait a while for omega trained ones. Because of long waiting lists.... Best in Sydney will be Joe Santos from Christina Jewellers . Refer to Achim from Coffs Harbour; that might hopefully speed up times and lower the estimate..... If you don't want to wait long, you have to send it to me in Coffs and I forward it to my watchmaker. He does not take on new customers, therefore the detour. Adds $40 courier on top. Cpl. Service without parts will be around A$ 300 plus time for removing the screw. Should need around 10 days max. If you want it pressure tested, parts and seals are needed. That gives you an idea about prices, when you ask around in Sydney. Kind regards. Achim

Hi Achim. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the generous offer to act as intermediary with your watchmaker. The more I think about it the more I am considering outsourcing to another state. I really appreciate the feedback and will get it touch should I decide to take you up on your kind offer. Best regards, Duncan.

That screw is a non-issue for any watchmaker. Not a problem at all to remove that.

There are a number of folks that could work wonders on the dial and hands as well.. the good news is its all there!

Congrats on the find.. and for having such a kind friend.

Looks like a honest watch. I would second Joe Santos, however you need to be patient with the lead times and communication aspect. His prices are more than reasonable considering the amounts some other local watchmakers charge. I know he is slowly moving away from servicing, so make sure to get in if you can.

Here's my experience with Joe - https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-300.78136/

Adam Lewis has also done some excellent work for me but the risk is definitely shipping across the country.

All the best and definitely post some after photos 😀

Hi "bro", I have a similar one from 1968. Concerning the case: red = polished blue = not
If the case was already complete polished you can re-polish, if not (you should detect fine lines like the blue stripes) better leave the case as it is.

atb Jo

SM BT 68 Aus.JPG

Hi "bro", I have a similar one from 1968. Concerning the case: red = polished blue = not
If the case was already complete polished you can re-polish, if not (you should detect fine lines like the blue stripes) better leave the case as it is.

atb Jo

SM BT 68 Aus.JPG

That's a good point. I think it has been polished before. So a re-finish might not be such a bad idea.

Looks like a honest watch. I would second Joe Santos, however you need to be patient with the lead times and communication aspect. His prices are more than reasonable considering the amounts some other local watchmakers charge. I know he is slowly moving away from servicing, so make sure to get in if you can.

Here's my experience with Joe - https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-300.78136/

Adam Lewis has also done some excellent work for me but the risk is definitely shipping across the country.

All the best and definitely post some after photos 😀

Thanks for the reference for Joe, and the link. Yours looks great. At this stage I think my preference is tending towards sending it across the desert to Adam. 😀