Forums Latest Members
  1. pdub Nov 11, 2014

Hi all, I'm another new guy looking for his first vintage watch. This forum has been very helpful already!

I'm looking for a simple, clean, dress watch that will mostly be worn at work (office job). Something in stainless steel, thin case, white or silver dial, no date window. Two models I've found that fit the bill are the Seamaster 30 (ref 135.003 with the caliber 286 movement), and the Seamaster 600 (ref 135.011 with the caliber 601 movement). I do have a couple of questions, of course.

Firstly, is there even any difference between these models? Is one more desirable than the other? They seem to be damn near identical in looks, both have 17-jewel, manual-wind movements, and they were produced around the same time. I have noticed some slight variations in the dial (hour markers etc) and case (lugs and caseback), but I've found it very difficult to know if the image I'm looking at is truly of an original. If anyone can link to some high-res images of the genuine article it would help me a lot with learning how to spot a redial and so on.

Secondly, where should I be searching to buy? I'm aware that ebay can be a bit of a minefield, but it also seems like the best place to find a bargain. Chrono24 looks to be quite expensive in general. I will keep an eye on the sales section of this forum of course, but if anyone has any other tips on where to shop for vintage watches I'd appreciate it.

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 11, 2014

There is a great affection amongst collectors for the 30.10 series of handwind movements, so I would think that a cal 286 would be slightly more collectible than a 601.

But it depends on condition: case, movement and original dial. Here is one of my daily beater Seamaster 30s with original dial as a comparison.
    [​IMG]

Samir and Alfy Forluck like this.
  3. davidswiss Nov 11, 2014

I think the 30's are less common in good condition. They are both nice, simple designs with good movements. I suggest keeping your eyes open for both and get whichever one comes along first in decent condition at a good price.

Samir and Alfy Forluck like this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 11, 2014

Samir likes this.
  5. speedbird Nov 11, 2014

Samir, tictictictoc and ojp like this.
  6. tdn-dk Nov 11, 2014

My two SM30 135.003-62 SC

[​IMG]

Samir likes this.
  7. Mothra Nov 11, 2014

:whistling:
    Desmond, it must be the lighting, but it doesn't half look like the paint has been sucked up the nine and six markers on that dial....

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 11, 2014

Hmm Never noticed. I think it's the light.

Mothra likes this.
  9. pdub Nov 18, 2014

Thanks for all the photos, very helpful. I'm wondering about the hour markers. Most of the examples above have markers that end in an arrow point. I've seen others that appear to be more squared off (an example here: http://www.njuskalo.hr/image-bigger/muski-satovi/omega-seamaster-30-slika-20319206.jpg ). I've also seen some that have thicker 3, 6 and 9 markers than the rest. Did Omega use different hour markers on the same reference, or are the variations I've seen a result of redials?

Northernman; a lovely looking watch, but I have my heart set on a plain silver/white dial with central seconds.

I'll keep searching for a clean and original 30 or 600. And if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy, other than eBay/Chrono24/forums, I'd love to hear them!

10. pdub Nov 18, 2014

A Seamaster 30 on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Authenti...664484268?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3cec6b2bacPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    I'm unsure about the hour markers on this, as per my post above.

And a 600 here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OMEGA-SE...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item418ac1de3fPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    The movement says cal. 600, I thought it was supposed to be 601? Is there any difference?

I'm so bloody confused!

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 18, 2014

Now thats what i call a great first post all you noobs

Hello, asked for help after obvious some of their own research has been done. Avatar also........

Pm sent pdub

12. ojp Mar 7, 2015

Hey Northernman - hopefully you wont mind educating a newb. Theres a small Omega on your crystal. Is this normal? It's not something I have ever seen before...
    Thanks!

Northernman likes this.
  13. speedbird Mar 7, 2015

you'll see it in my photos above as well. omega has been doing this since the late 50s early 60s

Samir and Northernman like this.
  14. ojp Mar 7, 2015

Thanks speedbird!