Forums Latest Members
  1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 31, 2012

Dear respected members,
    I just bought several vintage Omegas and would like your honest (even brutal) opinion on the condition. My ultimate goal as newbie is learning,learning and learning. And in my opinion nothing compared to learning by doing including by making mistakes. Hopefully I and other newbies will become a little smarter after this. :)

The first watch is a Seamaster 30 Ref 135.003. Here are the pictures

front med res.jpg

From Omega vintage database, I found this description:

Seamaster 30 Gents' leather strap
    Reference ST 135.0003
    International collection 1962
    Movement
    Type: Manual winding (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 286
    Created in 1961
    17 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

Case Stainless steel
    Case back Screw-in
    Dial With facetted relief, luminous hour markers and luminous “stick ” hands. "Seamaster" or "Seamaster 30" at 6 o'clock.
    Crystal Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet Leather
    Water resistance 30 meters

The case and dial looks original. The case is 38-39 mm without crown, and the condition is relatively intact with few scratches. As mentioned in case back, the gold layer is 40 micron, explaining good condition of gold color.
    The condition of the dial has showed its age.Patinas exist near bezel. Few spots near center of the dial. It used stick hand, the lume has worn out and the marker showed aging spots.
    The writing is correct compared to picture from Omega Vintage database below:
    Omega database Seamaster 30.jpg

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 31, 2012

The crown has been replaced with incorrect type and color. The leather and buckle are also not original.
    crown med res.jpg

3. ulackfocus Oct 31, 2012

The strap and buckle aren't a big deal. Neither is the crown in this instance. The watch is the main concern and it looks like you did okay as far as originality. The ink on the dial of these types of Seamasters in the very late 50's and very early 60's looks flatter under magnification than other models for some reason.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Privateday7 likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 31, 2012

The case back has trademark Seamaster seahorse engraved. it has visible scratches from normal wear. However there are deep circular scratches near the opening groove, showing reckless attempt to open the case back.

caseback closed med res.jpg

Inside the case back perlage finishing still looks nice. The writing engraved shows reference, thickness of gold plated and typical Omega information in the caseback. I can not dechiper number 62 and SC code though.

inner caseback med res.jpg

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 31, 2012

As for the movement, it is a Cal 286. The gasket is already dry. Some rust showed in main gear and several screws.
    The caliber and movement serial number are still intact.

movement  1 med res.jpg

movement 2 med res.jpg

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 31, 2012

With USD 360 purchase price, I think I make a decent purchase. Not really cheap, but I will enjoy to wear and keep it.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 31, 2012

Now that's what you a call a mint condition. Very clean and well maintained.

8. Sherbie Oct 31, 2012

62 on case back means manufacture in 1962, which ties in nicely to the 20 million serIal number = 1963. I think SC means centre seconds, but I,ve also seen this contested

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 31, 2012

wonderful..........thank you. It match with Omega vintage database description