Forums Latest Members
  1. haknuts Aug 8, 2015

Hi. Newbie question. I have enherited a Seamaster 30 in nice condition. Needs no work. Unused for twenty-some years, still serviced two yrs ago. I would hovever like to replace the dial with the black one, and maybe new hands. Cardinal sin perhaps, but is reversible. Have to find a dial first. Is it possible?
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 8, 2015
  2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 8, 2015

I think cardinal sin but it is your watch. Finding an original black dial on its own might prove difficult though. A suggestion: why not sell this one and then try to find a black dial that you like? Since you want to replace both dial and hands you don't seem overly affectionate about it, so selling it might not be a problem for you.

saxoo and haknuts like this.
  3. lillatroll Aug 8, 2015

Hello,

Why don't you just buy a complete watch with a black dial and leave the white one as is. I don't think these watches are expensive, and by the time you have bought the dial,you will probably need to buy a donor watch and then get a watchmaker to fit it for you, you will have paid almost as much as you will for a similar watch anyway. It's a nice looking watch as it is.

haknuts likes this.
  4. haknuts Aug 8, 2015

Thanks. Selling is not an option☺ I think nice blackies is selling in the 800-1000 USD-range. I would prefere to replace the dial and hands myself to keep costs down.

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 8, 2015
  5. lillatroll Aug 8, 2015

Obviously if you have the tools and knowhow to change the dial then it would save you some money, but if you don then you will need to find a watchmaker who can do this for you, if you do need to send it to a watchmaker then you need to find one who knows about vintage watches. From your avatar I guess you are from Norway, there are a few members from Norway here who might know of a watchmaker who could help you depending on which city/area you are from. I used to live in Bergen and know of one watchmaker who might be able to do it although I am not sure if that shop closed down.

haknuts likes this.
  6. Davidt Aug 8, 2015

Terrible shame to butcher a nice watch.

saxoo and haknuts like this.
  7. haknuts Aug 8, 2015

If the movement is the heart, do you consider the dial to be the soul?

8. Davidt Aug 8, 2015

Certainly. It's your watch but on a collectors forum, most people wouldn't encourage swapping major parts such as the dial.

One of the arguments often put forward if the watch is a family heirloom is that your uncle/father/grandad decided he wanted a white dial and that's what he looked down on for the time it was on his wrist.

If you want a black dial (many do at the minute), that's great, but it's much better to leave this piece as intended and try to find another black dialed Seamaster 30 to compliment this one. If the dial is original and has survived 50 years in good condition, swapping it out would be a shame.

haknuts likes this.
  9. Davidt Aug 8, 2015

I would add that I'm no expert on the Seamaster dress watches so I can't tell for sure if the White dial is original or has been refinished at some point.

10. haknuts Aug 8, 2015

This was his workhorse, and knowing him he would not have been bothered with that kind of restauration. Hovewer I have not yet come across a white/silver dial whith golden hands elsewere. It may be possible one or the other has been replaced at one time. He can not remember.

Edited Aug 8, 2015
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2015

The black dial you posted is refinished. Pretty good job, but the "3" has a flat top. That was just not done back then. I think Omega made some original black dials for this model, but they were not popular and are quite rare today

Hands should match the dial markers. If you find a original black dial, these are likely to be gold rather than silver. So the hands now on the watch would match.

Good luck with your search.
    gatorcpa

timeismoney and haknuts like this.
  12. CdnWatchDoc Aug 8, 2015

This is an original SM 30, linen dial. Hands and indices match nicely. Acquired from a countryman of yours, Northernman. IMHO, this is how it was meant to be...

[​IMG]

haknuts likes this.
  13. haknuts Aug 8, 2015

I am afraid I have somewhat fooled myself into remembering the golden hands, as the first image suggests. This is an image from this evening

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 8, 2015
  14. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 8, 2015

Hei!
    Countryman here.
    Never change well working original parts. Cardinal sin on both vintage cars and watches. If you have not tried to replace a dial before you will mess it up. I sense youthful optimism here. Great, but it will lead to tears and misery.
    If you like to practice on replacing hands and dials I suggest buying 15-20 old watches as a lot just to practice on. Never mind function.
    It will give you an idea.

PM me if you like. And BTW welcome to the best watch forum around!

:)

saxoo, Togri v. 2.0 and haknuts like this.
  15. haknuts Aug 8, 2015

Thanks. What do you make of the "swiss made" being hidden? Dial slightly off-center, to large or has it something to do with the plexi?

Edited Aug 8, 2015
  16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 8, 2015

That could very easily be because someone has fitted a generic, tension ring, crystal and the tension ring is slightly wider than the original Omega one. When I do this, I always try to swap the tension rings.

haknuts and Northernman like this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 8, 2015

I think it's the Plexi but if you have the watch on hand it should be easy to see.

haknuts likes this.
  18. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 8, 2015

May I enquire why you want to switch to a black dial? Vintage watches are cool (mainly) because of the history but that is somewhat lost, when you change the face of the watch completely. Again it is your watch but it would be a damn shame!! An original Seamaster 30 from the 60s vs. a Seamaster 30 with a replaced, refinished dial. Not a contest really, except perhaps for people who have watched Mad Men too many times and wants to play Don Draper

19. haknuts Aug 8, 2015

Dont know Mr. Draper but I get the picture. I guess perhaps I'm sort of vain, vanting to pimp up those 17 jewels in black velvet? Other than that I come from a world where one is expected to manage your own sh.., be that a dieselengine or a watch. Now this makes an oppurtunity to exercise hobbies that involves finemechanical challenges like that of those delicate dials in question. It is also a curse, because while I acknowlege the skills of a competent watchmaker, I feel reluctant to pay equal to the markedvalue of a vintage watch like this in order to get it serviced. At least that is the situation where I now live. Here you are regarded as something between a handyman and an indigent if you are spotted changing tyres on your car. Wery few people knows how to use a wrench anymore, nor do they want to or have to. Those domestic cultural differences becomes very obvious when you move from the outskirts to live amongst the haves. Enought sighing... I also have an 1916 Longines 19.75N movement I would like to have rinsed and lubricated. Here the costs adds up to 2 x markedvalue. Maybe Im being cheap. Even though Im facinated by watches, I guess I dont have experienced that same binding comittment to the sport as some collectors. Yet ☺

Edited Aug 9, 2015
  20. vinn2 Aug 8, 2015

yes --- black and white side by side. -- i bought a new quartz crono. several years ago; (wount mention the brand) because of its nice white dial. a week later, the store had the same watch with a black dial! i bought it too. as far as changing hands and dials --- i agree it requires lots of practise --- which is very good experience. experment with timex --- ech?

haknuts likes this.