Forums Latest Members
  1. TubaTom Mar 10, 2015

Hey!

What I know:
    I recently came by an old Omega watch, that looks to be an early diver. It is not working properly as the crown is hard to move and the watch won't go.

- By opening the watch I noticed immediately that there was no gasket in the caseback, so that is missing.

- Movement is cal. 501

- Serial number is 16460XXX

- The case back says 2913-3SC on the inside and also patent pending (what patent?)

- The outside of the case back reads: "Certified High Pressure Waterproof" and a seahorse with the Omega logo beneath it in the middle of the caseback. This is not easily seen in the picture, but easily read live.

- The crown has an Omega logo and seems to be original. I am not certain of this of course.

- The movement itself looks to be in good condition.

- The laque on the bezel is unfortunately fully gone.

- The watch haven't been used for atleast 10 years, probably more.

What I would like to know:
    Since I know nothing about this watch, I would like to turn to you for advice. Is this something that is worth giving an overhaul? Does it have any value?

Would like to thank you for your time in advance, and below I will post a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jose75 and rogart like this.
  2. micampe Mar 10, 2015

Edited Mar 10, 2015
  3. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 10, 2015

To answer your questions: yes and absolutely. Find a sympathetic vintage Omega watch maker, movement overhaul and clean but no polish or replacement hands or face work.

A fabulous watch and welcome.

This is its cousin

image.jpg

4. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 10, 2015

What a nice looking watch . Keep it as it is . Get some new gaskets and see if somebody can do anything about the gasket in the crown . Get is serviced . And you have a perfect watch .

5. justwatching Mar 10, 2015

Not really familiar with seamasters but I think that's a very collectible watch

6. micampe Mar 10, 2015

Also I think the patent pending was for the self-sealing "naiad" crown.

7. TubaTom Mar 10, 2015

Thanks for your answers! Does replacing the glass reduce value on it? It has a big scratch in it.

8. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 10, 2015

No, unless you replace it with non genuine.

9. TubaTom Mar 10, 2015

Great thanks!

10. cristos71 Mar 10, 2015

Great watch! Absolute classic you have there, especially with the broad arrow hands and the lovely creamy plots.:)

I would also have the bezel insert redone, there is a guy in Italy who does the best job of this, if you want the details send me a PM

Some collectors like the bezel to be left original and empty, I prefer to see it filled, and it does not detract from the value. An original bezel insert adds to the value of course but these are not not available.

Difficult to value from those pictures but somewhere around 2500 Euros to 3500 Euros as is

11. TubaTom Mar 10, 2015

Oh wow, so it might be that much unrepaired? That was a pleasant surprise to say the least :p

12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 10, 2015

This is certainly a valuable collectable. I would suggest replacing as little as possible and speaking to someone about a sympathetic service to keep it as original as possible. Some collectors value these more as-is over restored, so be careful at this stage until you are certain exactly what you want to do with the watch. Leaving it as-is is not a bad option until you figure it out rather than making a mistake now.

13. TubaTom Mar 10, 2015

My phone doesn't have the best camera but I can upload two photos I just took. Don't think I can make them look much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. justwatching Mar 10, 2015

Nice! Looks good as it is. Just have the movement serviced and cleaned by a watch technician familiar with vintage omega's. Is it for sale?

15. watchlovr Mar 10, 2015

Buy some polywatch from ebay, get some cotton balls and polish the crystal, it will reveal the beauty of the dial.
    Lovely piece, I am jealous.

16. TubaTom Mar 10, 2015

I am thinking about it, but as I have said to a few others already; I'm not quite comfortable with selling before I feel sure about selling it for the right price. I certainly didn't expect for this to be as valuable as some say here :p

17. calalum Mar 10, 2015

Lots of PMs, right? Get it serviced and enjoy it! Not everything is about money.

18. Charlie3755 Mar 10, 2015

Enjoy the experience of bringing the watch back to its original glory. Either way you are on a winner. Congrats!

19. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 10, 2015

That is a stunner, I have owned a lot of 2913's and this is a lovely example with a beautiful patina, let me know if you need any help or advice on restoring it

20. ock2915 Mar 10, 2015

Fantastic & valuable watch you have , if I were you I would restore it and keep for the future , its value can only go up:thumbsup: , congratulations

Edited Mar 10, 2015
    Barking mad likes this.