Forums Latest Members
  1. VonBenson Jan 28, 2023

Hi All,

I’m a long time lurker and huge fan of the forum. Thank you to all who make this place what it is and for all the knowledge you share with people like me. Omega Forums has become a daily go to and a welcome distraction through a tricky 3+ years of Brexit, covid, world crises etc.

I didn’t expect this to be my first sort of post, but this one has me intrigued and thought I’d consult the hive mind to try and clear up my doubts.

Browsing this evening and found this 2846 on ebay.

Stainles steel gents Omega Seamaster automatic 501 movement 1969 | eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Case looks to have honest wear and retains decent edges. My concern is the dial. Possibly one too many single malts, but printing looks good to my eye from most of the photos, and honeycomb dial makes this potentially interesting. But it just looks too pristine?

What do the experts think? Is it an obvious redial and I haven’t spotted the signs? Are there any other red flags?

Any input welcomed.

Thanks,
    Ben

2846 back.jpg 2846 crown.jpg 2846.jpg

janice&fred and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. VonBenson Jan 28, 2023

PS If anyone can advise how I upload better resolution pics from the ebay ad please let me know. Detail can be zoomed nicely on ebay but not on the pics I attached it seems..

Many thanks

3. Dan S Jan 28, 2023

Not seeing any obvious problems at first glance.

4. VonBenson Jan 28, 2023

Thanks for the reply and your respected opinion

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 28, 2023

For some reason these white textured dials seem to have a high survival rate including this one.

s-l1600.jpg

Spruce, janice&fred, qazwsx1 and 4 others like this.
  6. VonBenson Jan 28, 2023

Thanks, so reading between the lines of your reply, no massive question marks re it being original dial?

It would require clicking through on link and zooming, but do you see 'flattening' of a few of the honeycombs approx one third of the way if drawing an imaginary line between centre of dial and 9 o'clock? Visible in a few photos and from different angles but may be the crystal?

7. VonBenson Jan 28, 2023

and thanks for the better photo upload. How do I do that for future reference?

Ben

8. mrbreen Jan 28, 2023

Dial looks good to me. Nice case. No lume is a bonus. Stainless with gold furniture is a fantastic combo. I’d be surprised if this ends up going cheap!

9. MtV Jan 29, 2023

2B2DF2C2-0F52-445F-8F10-FCBCCF1AC5CA.jpeg

That’s the “flattening” you’re referring to, or one of the areas where it’s visible. It’s minute dial damage and you’re unlikely to see it with your bare eye.

This is a lovely example, in overall good shape, and if you’re after one this is your time to bid.

10. VonBenson Jan 29, 2023

Thanks all. Pleased to see it got the general thumbs up from you. Auction finishing in just under an hour so will see what happens!

11. MtV Jan 29, 2023

Went for ~775GBP/885EUR/960USD. A bit more than I would've expected, but whoever got it still didnt overpay at all.

12. Enchanted Jan 29, 2023

well, that went up pretty quick at the last sec! :thumbsdown:

13. Thommas Jan 29, 2023

Nice watch. Hopefully you won it @VonBenson. Post some wrist pics if you did

wagudc likes this.
  14. VonBenson Jan 29, 2023

Thanks but I was relegated to interested observer as things got a bit lively at the end. Hope it ended up going to a good home and preferably in the OF family. Appreciate all the rapid expert help - thank you!