Forums Latest Members
  1. iamvr Sep 24, 2021

Hi everyone

I few months ago I purchased a Seamster 2846 from Japan. Only when I held in my hand did I notice that the shape of the case back is different to what I've seen so far on this particular reference.

During my admittedly short vintage journey, I've so far seen the two-step concave case back, either plain (like the example in the picture on the left) or with the Hippocampus, but not the "UFO" shaped (for the lack of a better term) of the right example. I first thought it may be a wrong case back, but it is in fact one for the ref. 2846 (or 2848, respectively).

The particular example has a cal. 500 and an OXG import mark. Could it be that the case back shape was more common for examples sold to the US? Does anyone else have a 2846 with that kind of a case back?

IMG_5721 Kopie.jpg
    DSC_3438 Kopie.JPG

Rudi99 and MtV like this.
  2. seekingseaquest Sep 24, 2021

I’ve never seen that before and find it suspicious. Can you provide photos of the rest of the watch? Also, a straight on photo of the caseback?

3. iamvr Sep 24, 2021

Here are other pictures that I've previously taken. I still have to take a straight on picture of the caseback once I'm back home.

DSC_3423.JPG DSC_3424.JPG DSC_3426.JPG

4. seekingseaquest Sep 24, 2021

That is very odd. It all looks fine aside from that little ridge..

dootcho, Rudi99, Dr No and 1 other person like this.
  5. iamvr Sep 25, 2021

Straight on picture of the caseback

5037CEAD-F76C-4C2A-BF7E-8E8842DB1B0F.jpeg

6. Caliber561 Sep 25, 2021

Looks to me like it was bent by being clamped in a die of the wrong size and shape. You can see the stress marks in the steel from the bending.

padders likes this.
  7. iamvr Sep 26, 2021

Many thanks @seekingseaquest and @Caliber561 for taking the time to share your views.

I've come to accept that your explanation, @Caliber561, is the most logical. Def more logical than a hitherto unseen caseback variation ::facepalm2::. Interestingly, when I discussed the shape with other members privately, the idea that the caseback may have been bent by pressure was quickly dismissed as we thought it would have destroyed the movement, which is not the case.

I was considering selling it, but with that bent caseback I'll hang on to it, unless I find a proper replacement caseback.

apsm100 likes this.
  8. DON Sep 26, 2021

Interesting shape, but seems to fit

Perhaps a factory replacement back. There are factory replacement dials. Why not a back

DON

iamvr likes this.
  9. dootcho Sep 27, 2021

I have a question that has been bothering me for very long time on these models and from your answer above you sound like you may have enough wisdom:

You mention everything else looks fine.. What about the omega logo not lining up correctly to the crosshair in the dial, is that something that happens and shouldn't be cause of cocnern when assessing these watches?

thanks a lot

10. iamvr Sep 27, 2021

Hm, interesting thought. But wouldn't there be more of those floating around?

11. seekingseaquest Sep 27, 2021

Yes it does happen. The photo is also taken at a slight angle such that it appears more off center than it really is.

dootcho likes this.
  12. cristos71 Sep 27, 2021

You can still sell it like that, as long as you mention it there's no problem. You'll just get less money for it, but still by the time you've found and paid for a correct back you'll be out of pocket anyway, as I don't think a correct back will raise the value more than the cost of the correct back.

iamvr likes this.
  13. dootcho Sep 27, 2021

Thanks a lot, i have been trying to get to a decisive answer to this matter for a couple of years now!

14. iamvr Sep 27, 2021

Thank you for your comment, @cristos71, I hear you. I've seen one on eBay offered for $85. But I have in fact put too much money into this watch already, new crown, complete service (Swiss prices :eek:). Given what you've said, there's no point in throwing more money after it which I won't be able to recoup anyway. I've decided to keep and enjoy it as is. It's a nice watch and it'll serve as a reminder to look at sellers' pictures more closely :).

wagudc, Boojumhunter and cristos71 like this.