Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 2599.80 Servicing/Bracelet Questions

1. jsg1976 Mar 13, 2017

A few months ago I bought a used steel Seamaster Diver 300m Chrono (a 2599.80.00), which I was told was a 1997 model (600xxxxx serial - sound right?). The store I bought it from said that they had just serviced the movement, and the movement is guaranteed for one year (so about 9 months left). It seems to be running fine. Before selling it, the dealer had polished the case and bracelet, but had left the original scratched up bezel on there, and had not replaced the hands/dial, on which the red hands/bezel accents have faded to pale orange (because, as he said it, "the people on the forums like things original nowadays"). No box, no papers. Cost me $1100 cash plus trade in of 3 watches I wasn't wearing and was looking to get rid of, which the dealer valued at $1150. I'll admit, it was an impulse buy, so I didn't shop around the forums, but I didn't want to deal with trying to offload those other 3 watches anyway b/c they weren't worth the hassle, so this was a good way to move them for something more useful as potential trade material (and I've also had my eye on one of these for a few years).

Last week I took the watch in to my local Omega boutique to see if I could get the micro-adjust clasp fitted to the bracelet (answer: no - wrong kind of pins), and while I was there, I asked what it would cost to bring the watch back to basically factory new specs. Turns out a full service (movement, brushing/polish of bracelet (it's supposed to be mostly brushed with the little center pieces polished) and case, etc costs $750. New dial is $152. New bezel is $292. So total cost is $1194.

So here are my questions:

1A) since the movement was allegedly just serviced, seems to be running fine, and is still under the store warranty for 9 months, should I not bother getting it serviced? I'm ok at the moment with the fact that the bracelet/case are fully polished and not brushed/polished combo.

1B) I asked the guy at the boutique whether the new diver bracelet with the micro-adjust clasp would fit on the 2599.80. He said we could order one and find out. Anyone tried this? If I'm going to replace the bracelet anyway, no reason to get the old one back to factory spec.

2) should I replace the dial/bezel, regardless of whether I get it serviced? Does it affect resale value if I've had those replaced?

3) and most importantly, if I decide to flip the watch in the next year or two (and keep it in good condition and repair until then), am I likely to get any of get this money back?

4) should I just forget the whole thing and flip it (and cash) for (a) the new co-axial model (212.30.42.50.03.001) and get the micro adjust clasp for that? (I do like the layout with the chronograph registers at 6-9-12 better than the 3-6-9 layout of the current version); or (b) a Rolex SubC or SD4k (I've never owned a Rolex, but I have a couple other omegas (planet ocean GMT, CK 2998)?

Thanks for the input. Here are a couple pics of the watch as it currently exists.

IMG_0735.JPG IMG_0736.JPG
  2. jsg1976 Mar 15, 2017

Well, in case anyone is interested (not likely, judging from the lack of responses), I asked the boutique if I could order the new bracelet to see if it works with this case and just replace the hands/dial/bezel without getting a full service. Turns out they won't do that. So I gave in and went for the whole shebang. The watch should be as good as new when I get it back (and under 2 yr Omega warranty), so I'm looking forward to that. Will have to wait to see if the new bracelet fits until I get it back from servicing.

3. WaffleDial Jun 2, 2020