Seamaster 2598.80 - are there any downsides?

Ever since I started getting more watches, I also wanted to add a modern Omega. Either a Seamaster or a Speedy.

Looking at 2598, it feels like it's both. Are there any downsides to it compared to a a Speedmaster or a non-chrono Seamaster?(also in terms of cost to service it, parts, etc.)

How often would it need servicing? Would I need a certified watchmarker or can a good experienced watchmaker service it?

Are there any downsides to it compared to a a Speedmaster or a non-chrono Seamaster? Sure; it's a much thicker and bulkier watch than both of the other two options because of the combined complications. It's also much less sought after, but if you want to spend less that could be a plus.

While it is a combination of both of those watches' complications, the result does not mean that it is both of those watches. If you like the dial this is a great option- while there are Seamaster chronographs that look similar to the speedmaster, this isn't one of them.

I also wouldn't Define it as a modern watch, but vintage or Neo Vintage.

Lastly- service on this watch through Omega will cost you 900USD+, but any well-respected watchmaker with a parts account should be able to service for less. If you are buying an older iteration (pre 97 or so) these came with tritium dial plots, and Omega would want to replace the dial.

Like 1
And with tritium markers:

upload_2024-7-29_11-8-19.png

Edit: the one hen posted also has tritium markers/handset. :whistling:
Edited:

Like 2
@mseamaster look... what watch do YOU want? If you want either a Seamaster or a Speedmaster more, is owning this watch going to make you happy? We're talking about spending thousands of dollars on something that isn't necessary for timing anything and isn't likely to actually be exposed to a thousand feets' worth of water pressure. It needs to be a watch you want, not a watch you "settle" on as an in-between.

If you really, really like the way this watch looks, then it isn't an in-between. But I suspect to the point of being certain that if you settle on an in-between, you will not be happy and wish you'd done something different.

Like 2
Thanks, everyone. The tritium dial looks better, I wonder if it would still shine in the dark though(my Seiko tritiums from the 70s don't). Of course I wouldn't want Omega to swap it, so if I get one, I ain't letting them service it then.

I will get quotes to see how much the servicing would cost and how often, just to see if it will cost more compared to a Speedmaster.

As for the thickness, very good point, I will look for pics and compare.

Do I want to time things? Yes, I do. Phones aren't always practical. And I don't want a smartwatch. Do I need an automatic chrono instead of a cheaper quartz one? Probably not... but then the same could be said for any mechanical watch. Phones are also distracting btw. I would go further and say, an alarm like a bellmatic would also be super nice on the watch.. but I can live without it.

Do l need to dive? No, I don't. But I want the watch to survive very strong rain. And ideally, I don't want to have to take it off when washing hands or eating. So if some food falls on it, I would want to just run it under cold water and use ethyl alcohol to clean it. Basically GADA.

Right now, I always take my watches off(save for my Seiko Monster), because vintage Seiko.
I know I could get one of them pressure tested, but they aren't divers or beaters.

Is a Speedmaster water resistant enough for this - rain and hands washing?(I've seen people on the web calling it paper)

No, the tritium would not shine in the dark. Tritium based luminescence works specifically because the flow of radioactive electrons from the tritium energizes the Luminous material, which gives off light. In this case the lume needs a constant flow of energy to glow- which is why you can energize tritium markers with an ultraviolet light source and they will glow briefly. They've been re-energized enough to give off some glow.

Luminova uses a completely different luminous material which absorbs energy and glows for a much longer period; it doesn't need constant energizing.

Secondarily, tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, and the tritium is literally part of the hydrocarbon binding material of the luminescent paint itself. As tritium decays, one of the neutrons emits a beta particle (high energy electron). The result is no longer hydrogen, but essentially helium. This means that tritium paint is literally breaking down on the molecular level as it ages. A workaround is tritium gas tubes- I think some watches still may employ these (but someone else will have to chime in).

Is a Speedmaster water resistant enough for this - rain and hands washing?(I've seen people on the web calling it paper)

People on the web are... I'm trying to come up with a polite way of saying absolute morons, so if you've got one, let me know. But they're absolute morons. A speedmaster can handle handwashing and rainstorms. Here on omegaforums we often joke about not wearing a Speedy while mowing the lawn, but its a joke. You can, and you can even swim with a speedmaster. It is good to its rated 50meters of water pressure/5bar. I wouldn't dive with one. And I wouldn't swim in the ocean with one. but if it has been pressure tested recently I am comfortable with submerging it in the sink, wearing in the shower, even lake play.

Again- this is absolutely going to come down to what watch you would be happy with though.

I like the dial of 2598.80. Weight and thickness however are factors.

I think I will print the front of the watch on paper in real size and then slap cardboard behind to get a feel of the dimensions.

Do I want to time things? Yes, I do. Phones aren't always practical. And I don't want a smartwatch. Do I need an automatic chrono instead of a cheaper quartz one? Probably not... but then the same could be said for any mechanical watch. Phones are also distracting btw. I would go further and say, an alarm like a bellmatic would also be super nice on the watch.. but I can live without it.

Have you looked at the skywalker? Serious question... unless you're totally opposed to quartz.

The Bond Seamasters are really good alternatives too. I like the sword hands, like the "electric blue" or the "non Americas cup". Rugged, slim, stylish and can easily be serviced. The gen 2 glossy black dial is gorgeous and with the 2500D movement you get the co-axial escapement. I have a 2254.50 "Peter Blake" that I love. Its got the tapered speedy style bracelet.IMG_20240729_163323.jpg

Like 2
Both the 2254.50 and 2538.20 are spectacular options- I know the GMT function has not been mentioned here as a need, but the Great White is Omega's last great GMT (imo, ymmv, ymd & idgaf) in terms of design, case size, and specs (the oreo would be but that thickness tho)

Like 1
I can’t say as I like these, to me they are a Spork: a combination of 2 functions but master of neither. Regarding water resistance, a badly maintained Seamaster chrono (or 3 hander) is much more of a liability near water than a recently checked Speedmaster. Water resistance is a perishable feature and is all or nothing. Just because a watch starts with a higher rating doesn’t mean it keeps it forever. Both the Seamaster Pro and Speedmaster are great watches, but not combined in one over-chunky body.

Like 1