Seamaster 2577 hobnail?

Dear all,

I am thinking about making an offer for this gold capped Seamaster, but I have some doubts mainly on the hands (unlumed) and on the dial.

The hobnail Seamasters I’ve seen here have all different configurations compared to this one, so I am leaning towards a redial, but I am not entirely sure, thus the thread.

If the dial is legit, it would be a nice project to find the proper crown, clean the case and exchange the glass, plus a complete service. A question mark would still be the movement since there is no picture of it.

Thanks for your valuable contribution.

IMG_3272.jpeg IMG_3271.jpeg IMG_3268.jpeg IMG_3267.jpeg

Nice Dial, i'd say original, no redial - but the caseback looks very much polished, its even possible that the caseback doesnt belong to this watch as there is some space between caseback and case (not entirely sure)

Honnail dial has different structure. This one is waffle/honeycomb version.

Nice Dial, i'd say original, no redial - but the caseback looks very much polished, its even possible that the caseback doesnt belong to this watch as there is some space between caseback and case (not entirely sure)

Completely legit bubble back - most commonly found on 2577-22, -23 and -24. As far as I’m aware these didn’t have the circular brushing known from other 2577 case backs.

These are the case back styles on 2577s, bottom right is the one we’re talking about:
IMG_2475.jpeg

the hands (unlumed) and on the dial
Both hands and dial look correct. I remember a few members here have 2577s with black textured dials that have no lume on the hands. I quite like it but it could definitely be a project.

Yeah you are right, should have done a proper research, so caseback is ok!

Completely legit bubble back - most commonly found on 2577-22, -23 and -24. As far as I’m aware these didn’t have the circular brushing known from other 2577 case backs.

These are the case back styles on 2577s, bottom right is the one we’re talking about:
IMG_2475.jpeg

It would be a project indeed. Crown would need to be sourced and the caseback it quite polished. Don't the hand look 'too flat' or is it the photo angle?

It would be a project indeed. Crown would need to be sourced and the caseback it quite polished. Don't the hand look 'too flat' or is it the photo angle?

Flat feet logo clover crowns aren’t that hard to find, luckily. 50€/$-ish on eBay and there shouldn’t be that much patience required.

What finish would you expect on that case back?

Flat, non-luminous hands do exist on 2577s, unlike the hands for the Constellations of the period they weren’t necessarily chamfered. Here’s an example of mine:
IMG_2511.jpeg

Flat feet logo clover crowns aren’t that hard to find, luckily. 50€/$-ish on eBay and there shouldn’t be that much patience required.

What finish would you expect on that case back?

Flat, non-luminous hands do exist on 2577s, unlike the hands for the Constellations of the period they weren’t necessarily chamfered. Here’s an example of mine:
IMG_2511.jpeg

I am not discouraging the OP, but was thinking about the things to be done out loud :)
Yes, crown can be sourced and would need to match the tone/patina of the case, Caseback finish is, what it is. Not saying something should be done to it.
The flat hands on your example look more 'correct' than the ones on the OPs example... or maybe just my eyes

The hobnail dial should be looks like this.
IMG_3263.jpeg

Also, the non-luminous hands version with the same dial pattern as shown by @MtV
IMG_3264.jpeg
Edited:

Caseback finish is, what it is. Not saying something should be done to it.

I’m not saying you did, but you stated with confidence that the case back is “quite polished”. I’m just curious how you come to that conclusion, that’s all :)

interested to see how the dial looks once the old warped crystal has been removed...

I’m not saying you did, but you stated with confidence that the case back is “quite polished”. I’m just curious how you come to that conclusion, that’s all :)
Also my opinion - Its reflecting quite a lot :D but not a tragedy for sure. Nice watch nevertheless...

Ah... just by the sheer reflection of light and looking at the condition of the rest of the case.
I would expected the case back to have more of a 'brushed' look. Again, I am going by what's visible in the photos and trying to look at the sum of all aspects. The front, gold capped part of the case has quite a bit of scratching and doesn't look to have been polished (recently). On the other hand, the back of the lugs don't seem to have the gold cap rolling over the edges to the under-side. That's not to say it should always be the case. The back of the lugs look polished as well and match the case back in terms of reflectivity (that I can see). Could this be due to rubbing from normal wear over the course of 50-60 years? Maybe, but I lean towards polishing
Having said that, the condition is what it is and I am not dissuading the OP from going after it as a project. :)