seamaster 2577-13 SC

Posts
126
Likes
36
This is my project on this seamaster , it is a challenge but almost there , had to replace the whole main plate as the screw from the balance jewel was broken off and luckily found incomplete movement but with the jewel intact, now hunting for complete balance from 351. 352 or 354 even 344 maybe will work, this watch wasn’t used that much because it broke many years ago and the owner didn’t want to invest in fixing so it is my headache and great pleasure to resurrected this piece an truly one of a kind watch ,so here is my project , kazd hopefully these pictures will be a ok I tried my best ,
 
Posts
9,251
Likes
77,038
I suspect that you already know that this watch is ‘one of a kind’ because the dial has been repainted (poorly IMHO) as some sort of fantasy dial.
That shouldn’t spoil your enjoyment of the piece but it does effect the overall look and value of it.
 
Posts
126
Likes
36
I suspect that you already know that this watch is ‘one of a kind’ because the dial has been repainted (poorly IMHO) as some sort of fantasy dial.
That shouldn’t spoil your enjoyment of the piece but it does effect the overall look and value of it.
Ah hello thanks for the honest observation , this fact doesn’t bother me a bit , I’ll enjoy it as is once I finish the rebuild , and please tell me how did you determined it’s a fantasy dial , very nice dial to me, thanks again ,I’ll dig little deeper into it to see what dials there were on these models , thanks and have a wonderful smooth day, I knew I missed this forum much always great intelligent input from the members, kazd
 
Posts
339
Likes
971
No offense but the lettering looks like it was done with a fine tip sharpie (magic marker).
 
Posts
9,251
Likes
77,038
Thanks @kazd ,

Since you ask, a number of things led me to believe that your dial is repainted;

As @Harbormaster asserts, the lettering on the face is poorly executed, judging by your photos.

Secondly, in 1950, Omegas that I have come across did not have ‘Seamaster’ written on the dial. It is, of course, a Seamaster and, when it was repainted, whoever did so added this embellishment.

Thirdly, in your photos, the minute markers are inexact and some of them appear to be a little longer than others.
I am also concerned by the lack of subtlety in the inner colour and suspicious about the cross hair.

I attach a photo of my 1950 2577 12,****** cal 351 (not a chronometer) which I believe is in original condition.



I’m sorry I’ve gone on a little but you did ask me why I was suspicious.

That said, it’s your watch and you will enjoy it. Good wishes.
Edited:
 
Posts
126
Likes
36
Thanks @kazd ,

Since you ask, a number of things led me to believe that your dial is repainted;

As @Harbormaster asserts, the lettering on the face is poorly executed, judging by your photos.

Secondly, in 1950, Omegas that I have come across did not have ‘Seamaster’ written on the dial. It is, of course, a Seamaster and, when it was repainted, whoever did so added this embellishment.

Thirdly, in your photos, the minute markers are inexact and some of them appear to be a little longer than others.
I am also concerned by the lack of subtlety in the inner colour and suspicious about the cross hair.

I attach a photo of my 1950 2577 12,****** cal 351 (not a chronometer) which I believe is in original condition.



I’m sorry I’ve gone on a little but you did ask me why I was suspicious.

That said, it’s your watch and you will enjoy it. Good wishes.
Thank you for this thorough explanation I wouldn’t probably come to this concision myself , thank you, and your omega is amazing , kazd
 
Posts
126
Likes
36
No offense but the lettering looks like it was done with a fine tip sharpie (magic marker).
Ah thank you you guys are just mountain of knowledge , thank you , I’ll finish my rebuild I’ll enjoy as is , love that feeling of the bumper bumping on the wrist , kazd