Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 2551.80 midsize - Anything I should look out for?

1. Borowatch87 Nov 6, 2016

I have seen an example of the watch that seems a little under priced(£999), no box or papers. Apart from some light wear and tear it seems ok, anything in particular I should look for or ask the seller about?
    Any info appreciated. Thanks

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 6, 2016

I think that is about right for a mid size auto from the like of ebay or private sale, in fact it may be £50-100 over the top considering the lack of B&P. If it is from a dealer and there is any kind of warranty then it is indeed cheap. The condition of bezel and crystal is vital on these as either are expensive to replace. Links are expensive so make sure it is sized big enough as I assume you wont have any spares. It may need as service if it has never had one and don't trust the water fastness until it has been checked.

Edited Nov 6, 2016
  3. Borowatch87 Nov 6, 2016

No warranty but returns policy. The crystal looks very good, bezel has very light signs of wear and is off kilter on the picture. Should it rotate freely or with a stiffness? Thankfully I have tiny wrists (hence the midsize) so extra links shouldn't be an issue!

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 6, 2016

Bezel should rotate freely, 120 clicks on the ratchet. If there is any damage walk away as a new bezel is £300 from outside channels or £200 plus a service cost at OSC or STS.

5. Borowatch87 Nov 6, 2016

At least I have the benefit of the 14 day returns so we shall see how it stands up in that time. Decent everyday watch and a nice one for the collection if all is well. Thank you for taking the time to answer as well :)

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 6, 2016

Yep SMPs are great and wear really well for a diver since they are very thin considering the depth rating. I have had 7 or 8 including a mid size. I prefer the 41mm but to each their own.