Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 2255.80 - Bezel Swap

1. andrewkyah Oct 9, 2019

Hello folks - Last month i asked for some advise about the swap of the stainless steel bezel on my seamaster 2255.80 to a blue one - After looking over many pictures of this same swap done by others i was ready to do the changeover - I have also wondered how the black bezel would look on my watch considering that my model has the dark blue dial - many of the 2255.80 seamasters had the electric blue dial - So i decided on the black - Fully installed by my watchmaker and i am very happy with the black over the blue.....

20191009_132851 (2).jpg 20190923_151328.jpg 20191009_124213 (2).jpg 20191003_102645.jpg
    Spruce and Tony like this.
  2. Tony Oct 9, 2019

Great looking watch! Just curious...is this a ceramic bezel?

andrewkyah likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 9, 2019

Honestly? It looks awful. Blue and black rarely work well together. The blue bezel from the Bond 2531 works better on the 2255.80. There is some variation in colour but all the 2255s have an electric blue dial vs the dark blue of the Bond models, yours is just a darker one than some I would guess.

Edited Oct 9, 2019
  4. andrewkyah Oct 16, 2019

Thanks Tony - No its the bezel of the 2254.50 - cheers Andrew...

Tony likes this.
  5. andrewkyah Oct 16, 2019

No you are so very wrong - the 2255.80 was produced with two dials - the electric blue and dark blue - mine is the dark blue - I bought the blue bezel from the 2531 and the 2254 - After looking at for hours and other opinions from my watchmaker and his co-workers we decided to do the black swap - Also the original stainless insert has the big numbers exactly the same as the 2254.50 so it just makes sense to keep the same design - the 2531 bezel has smaller numbers and is really of a different watch as in its design - Not a sword hand model - So for me keeping with the same design watch i went for the black and so so happy with it - The stainless bezel was just to shinny - Oh and thanks for your poor comment ( it looks awful ) Let me tell you boy Blue and Black are fantastic together....cheers Andrew...

McKnife and Tony like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 16, 2019

Let’s agree to differ on the look of yours but I can assure you that all 2255s have an electric blue dial. Put yours next to a Bond dial model and it will be plainly lighter, as can be seen in your bottom photo. The shade does differ as I said above, I have owned lighter and darker EB dials, but they are all electric blue.

Don’t take offence, if you put a pic up like then be prepared for comment good and bad, I like the watch just not the mod. One benefit of the original polished bezel insert by the way is that it is steel and can be polished back to mint, unlike the anodised Aluminium insert used on most of the others.

andrewkyah likes this.
  7. andrewkyah Oct 16, 2019

Yeah no probs - What i was saying about my dial is that it is the darker version and yes when the sun or heavy light shines on the dial you can see the electric blue in it but the lighter color dial is pretty much electric blue all the time - My dial is quite dark most of its wear time - Have a look on Chrono 24 - when you search 2255.80 you can clearly see the difference in the 2 dials - What i like is that there is a shit load of the lighter color dials on offer and the darker blue is much rarer - As far as the bond dial you talked about well that blue is a completely different blue altogether - Also your comment Blue and Black rarely work well together - OMG what are you talking about - The Omega Planet Ocean produced a dark blue dial with Black bezel(Looks fantastic) - Breitling Superocean Heritage 46mm also produced an amazing dark electric blue dial with Black ceramic Bezel(Amazing) And lastly i didn't take offence - you didn't need to call it awful - very shallow of you and baseless - cheers dude and enjoy....Andrew...

Tony likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 17, 2019

Just to confirm that despite the slight variation, only one dial is used on this model...

I am also not a fan of the combo the OP has posted...

Cheers, Al

andrewkyah likes this.
  9. andrewkyah Oct 18, 2019

No slight variation - Electric blue dial comes in a light blue and a dark blue - both quite different in true light -

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2019

There's only one dial...

11. andrewkyah Oct 19, 2019

Do yourself a favor and check out chrono 24 where you can see a good range of this model - There you can clearly see the diff in color Mr Archer...Yes there is only one dial - a light and a dark....lmao....

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 19, 2019

I’ve checked the Omega Extranet, where it confirms this model has used only one dial. Certainly if Omega used different dial suppliers, variations are possible (I’ve seen it on other dials) but there is only one dial for this reference.

If Omega changed the dial colour, it would be a different reference number...

McKnife, vitriol, andrewkyah and 3 others like this.
  13. BradleyJ. Oct 19, 2019

Not only would @Archer know what is what about this dial but saying "check chrono24" is not an official source of information. Its possible there's variations in color but you can't claim facts based on pictures in different lighting by different photographers using diffrent cameras and diffrent angles....... ect..... Also to beat a dead horse, how do you know how long one watch spend out in the sun and faded compared to another when going by used watch pictures.

andrewkyah and Foo2rama like this.
  14. andrewkyah Oct 20, 2019

Yes i know chrono 24 is not an official source but it shows you many examples of a model you may want - and yes camera angles lighting and all that can change the look - Have a look closely at this model - some have as i say a lighter blue color and the very outside rim is clearly lighter blue in color - the darker blue dial does not have this - The only time you see the electric blue in mine is when in sunlight or bright light - Please also don't give me comments about a watch spending time out in sun and fading -

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 20, 2019

There is some variation, I have seen it myself side by side but if it’s the same part number so as far as Omega is concerned it’s the same dial. The problem with comparisons like the OP suggests is that the EB dial looks very different depending on how the light catches it, so will look different in every photo. What I have noticed is that some are more purple, others less so, it could indeed be down to sun exposure as noted above, or manufacturing variation. I have owned 4 EB dials now so am going from eyeball mk1 rather than photoshopped C24 internet pics. I would imagine Al has seen dozens of them up close.

Changing the subject slightly, is that a Staib mesh bracelet? Those look good on Omegas, I have one on a Speedy.

Edited Oct 20, 2019
    andrewkyah likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2019

Some photos...not from Chrono 24 but my own workbench...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all photos of the most recent of this model that I serviced a few years ago, so how the watch is lit and how the photos are post processed can have a huge impact on what the dial looks like. Dials fade, so it's not uncommon to see variation just from that. And again there is likely variation if they switched dial suppliers at some point.* All this can give the impression that the dials are different dials, but they are not in this case. This model has never had the actual dial part number change.

* I wasn't doing it at the time of the service of this specific watch, but because of dial variations I now take photos of the back of every dial I remove, to see if there are any noticeable changes in the dial suppliers Omega has been using that affect the look of the watch.

Cheers, Al

josiahg52 and McKnife like this.
  17. BradleyJ. Oct 20, 2019

I'm very curious as to why that is not a valid point to bring up ::confused2::

There are seamasters newer than yours with highly faded dials and crazy faded bezels out there.

andrewkyah likes this.
  18. andrewkyah Oct 20, 2019

yep cool as - your right thanks...

19. andrewkyah Oct 20, 2019

Thanks so much Al - you have completely cleared this up for me - The photos above say it all - Mine looks just like the second pic but as you say its the same watch dial just changes in light - These pic show it all - and as you say with slight variations out there and diff in light on camera they are going to look different - Funny you mention purple because i have noted this on some i have seen - mainly the titanium model - Thanks for all your help - cheers Andrew

20. andrewkyah Oct 20, 2019

Thanks so much for all your help - I am happy now - lol - Yes the band is a Staib - love it - cheers mate Andrew...