Forums Latest Members
  1. cato Mar 27, 2013

Found this on ebay uk : RARE70sVINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER CHRONOGRAPH CAL1040 GORGOUS BLACK/GREY DIAL & BOX link -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321085083454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#rpdIdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network my question is does this look the real deal or not? I am a total novice! Price is £1500 but bit of movement (npi) on the price. Thanks

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2013

It's not spectacular, but is ok.

The case looks good & not many of these still come with the correct bracelet, as this one does. Not sure if the hour hand is newer than the the minute hand - but that isn't a massive problem unless you are a stickler for total originality. The movement looks like it needs a clean & service, so factor in an extra £200-300 for that.

As for price, a really nice one of these went for about £1000 on ebay US recently & I was kicking myself for not bidding a bit higher. £1500 seems to be a fairly standard asking price in the UK, but these aren't massivlely sought after & you should try to get the price closer to £1000/1200 IMO.

Hope this helps.

3. cato Mar 27, 2013

That really does help . Much appreciated. Its literally my first watch in twenty years and first step into something over £50 to boot. So really just trying to make sure its not a fake (as much as poss from slightly out of focus pics ) Thanks again.

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2013

Yes, it's a real Omega :) It's a 176.007 - you should see that number stamped inside the case back & you can look it up on the Omega Vintage Watches Database.

Just google " Omega Vintage Watches Database", click on "search" then enter ST 176.0007. (nb. sometimes on these 60's/70's watches you have to add an extra 0 for the database to find the watch).

You should get this: http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14642

If there are any other watches you are interested in you can find them on the database by using the number stamped on the inside of the case back. The database isn't complete but is worth playing with to find what you're after.