Forums Latest Members
  1. bieb1 Feb 10, 2015

Dear forum, I am seeking your views and opinion on the date wheel and plexi crystal on this watch that I have owned for some time now. Frank and factual feedback is welcome. I am happy with the way it is right now, but may decide over time to bring it back into its orginal condition - assuming I can find out what that was.

When I bought it, I knew it had been serviced, but still with the original dial & hands and I assumed that the yellowish colour of date wheel was due to aging as it appeared to nicely match the patina of dial & hands. The case was polished and the bezel and crystal, under side lighting, showed traces of scratches and scuffs that had been buffed out, so they appeared (close to) the right age for the watch. The domed plexi crystal still had a faint Omega logo imprint in the centre and my overall impression was that the parts all belonged together and had been on the watch for a considerable time.

But after having seen a few more of them and reading an article about them on Fratello Watches, I decided to take a closer look with a loupe at the date wheel and it looks like it is actually a black number on a gold/bronze background, eg not aged. I know that the date wheel is a service item and that black on white as well as white on black exist side by side for this reference, but I have never seen a gold coloured date wheel (except on gold constellations), nor can I find any reference to it on the web.

I can understand it if this date wheel was used to better match the yellowish tritium patina and blue dial colour (black background wheel not nice with blue dial and white too harsh with the faded tritium) and being a replaceble service item I can live with it. But I am interested to find out if it is a genuine Omega part or an aftermarket thing.

The other obvious deviation from standard is the cyclops crystal, which probably should not be on this watch. Again, something that can be changed if needed, but interesting to hear what reference did have the domed plexi cyclops.

What do the experts here think? Thanks for looking & commenting.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 10, 2015

AFAIK, this ref came with a white-on-black or a black-on-white date ring. If it was my watch I would have this replaced next time it goes in for service. The crystal is also incorrect and should not have the magnifier.

3. kox Feb 10, 2015

Here's mine to match. Agree on the date wheel. Black on white on the Deep Blue ones and white on black on the ones with black dial/bezel. I have actually seen the magnifier on these on more examples, but wouldn't say its original. Nice watch, enjoy!
    20140812_112505.jpg