Forums Latest Members
  1. ahmadulhoq Sep 11, 2016

Looking to buy the following, the seller is asking $1200 + shipping and says it's been serviced recently. Is the price good for this one? Please help, never bought a vintage before!

EDIT: this is a photo from the seller, posted on his Insta.

Edited by a mod Sep 7, 2017
  2. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2016

I think the price might be a little steep, but I haven't been following them for a few years so I could be wrong. It used to be a hot watch (market-wise) back in 2013-ish.

On a personal note, I had a nice one and sold it. Probably one I'll rebuy at a later date if the planets align properly.

ahmadulhoq likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 11, 2016

Not sure about those smudges in the dial just around the Seamaster text. For me, the price is a little high, especially if those marks on the dial are permanent.

Is there any proof of service?

These are nice little watches.

GuyADJ likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Sep 11, 2016

Good catch. IMO, a (genuinely) serviced Sparkle could well be a £700 watch, but the dial would have to be perfect - the dial is the main attraction with this model and I would hate looking at anything but a perfect specimen, especially if I haid paid top money for it.

oddboy likes this.
  5. ahmadulhoq Sep 11, 2016

Agree about the dial smudges, I don't have a proof of service and it wasn't serviced by Omega. I love the dial so much, I'm so tempted to get this one. Not sure what to do! Also there's a mint one selling in Chrono24 which is above $2259 which has a better condition than this one: http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/seamaster-watch-steel-automatic-chronometer--id4023746.htm

Can you guys advise on what can I do? :)

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 11, 2016

I'd probably wait if you can. These do come up here on this forum. @JohnSteed sold one or two. Maybe he's got more.. ;)

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 11, 2016

Utterly crazy price for that Austin Kaye watch
    But they are based in the centre of London and sell to bankers
    Have patience and the right watch will appear at a sensible price

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 11, 2016

Finish on this is excellent with a nice sharp glossy chamfer. Now this should be a 168.023, not a 166.032, as on the case back it will show both the non chronometer and chronometer case number. The dial indicates its chronometer status and in this instance, this watch is considered uncommon.

Sparkle dials have been popular for some time, but the 168.023 sparkler, being low in production numbers, is the most sought after and in my opinion $1200 is cheap.

Hopefully something could be done to remove the smudges from the dial.

oddboy and JohnSteed like this.
  9. JohnSteed Sep 11, 2016

Agree, sparkle dials, with 'chronometer' (and corresponding Calibre 751 movement under the hood) at 1200 is a great deal IMHO.

I would want to see proof of service if I don't know the seller;
    Dial smudges are an issue ... FOR ME... I see at least 3 smudges on a quick look at the one photo above. It's not easy to smudge the dial like like this and all else remain pristine. I'd want the story on this before buying. BUT THAT's JUST CAUTIOUS ME; the smudge could be leftover from service and easily removed but I can't tell. Besides, no watchmaker that's any good is gonna leave smudges like that on a dial after a service.
    Date ... 30 in this instance ... looks a bit off to my eye, meaning the font seems a bit too thick? (would be interested to get more views/opinions);
    I would also want more photos before buying to check it out, that it looks great all-round;

These are rare I think as per @mondodec .... If you answer all your own questions and are satisfied then a the price is a deal/steal. However, I also realise that if you're patient you bone up on these so you know what your'e buying (before you buy). It's worth the effort to study before buying......

GLWYHunt

ahmadulhoq and mondodec like this.
  10. JohnSteed Sep 11, 2016

@ahmadulhoq if you haven't purchased vintage before, this would be a great model to start. Good choice. That said, you should get more photos and if you still are gonna go for it, post the pics here for help if you'd like ... Meaning more photos of the internals, back, sides....

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 11, 2016

Are the cal.751's that rare?

12. JohnSteed Sep 11, 2016

According to Desmond, only a few thousand of the [751] gold cap and steel models released to market by Omega, to which I'd add, examples in great condition rarely come on the market. There HAS been a gold cap example for sale at a crazy price for a long time on the bay

oddboy likes this.
  13. ahmadulhoq Sep 14, 2016

So there's the link of from the service site with loads of photos [removed link]

About the smudges, he said it was there when he bought it and he thought those are dust. But when he took it for service they said those are permanent. The crystal was changed during service as well.

Edited Sep 7, 2017
  14. JohnSteed Sep 14, 2016

WatchguyUK is a very good guy in my book. If he did the service then I would be satisfied the service is good.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 14, 2016

Always like posting this pair since this is one of my favorite references:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ahmadulhoq Sep 14, 2016

You are not selling, are you? xD

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 14, 2016

Nope. The 18k YG version has box and some paperwork also noting the watch was sold with the gold bracelet.

JohnSteed likes this.