Forums Latest Members
  1. OrangeSeconds Mar 2, 2019

Here is my starter watch. Purchased high $900.
    Non-chronometer `'67-'69, 563 movement '67 based on serial. Movement obviously mixed parts history.

20190220_060303.png Screenshot_20190303-115317.jpg Screenshot_20190303-115254.jpg Screenshot_20190303-115522.jpg

Mismatch pvd crown.

Caseback matches case and movement. Case has some polishing but not ridiculously so.

Dial is questionable original as it seems rather healthy for its age.

Hands are found on similar models but orange is curious to me.

Perhaps somewhat of a Franken. But I do like it a lot.

The seller was kind of sketchy about giving me any info. He said it was serviced recently by a 70yo master watchmaker but no receipts of the service.

Edited Mar 2, 2019
    fskywalker and Nathan1967 like this.
  2. OrangeSeconds Mar 5, 2019

The watch was shipped on Feb 22 and the seller set the time and energized the watch at time of shipping. The watch arrived on March 5. After 11 days in transit the watch was 4 minutes fast (assuming time sync).The date was also correct.

Upon first view I was quite surprised at how warm and happy it looked. The high res photos are much more revealing of every gory detail. But just looking at it with my bare eyes is heartwarming. I put a NATO strap on the watch to match the orange seconds. Damn! this watch is a surprise, so small! That Omega movement is amazing to be so small. The sunlight is beautiful on the dial and indices and the case. Even the mis-match crown is hardly noticeable.

I'm happy with the fat nick on the bezel at 730pm. It's not really noticeable to the eye and adds character to the watch. The other thing I'm happy about is the limited polishing on the watch has not removed all the brushwork, and the gold cap is majority intact.

So far, the watch is 5 seconds fast over the last 4 hours compared to the world time server. I'm very happy about 30s per day.

I'm so thankful to have a small piece of history in this watch and to have something of a treasure to appreciate. My boy is blown away, it will be his some day. Very thankful for this watch. Heart is full.

20190305_164333.jpg 20190305_180134.jpg

Edited Mar 5, 2019
    Timetron, fskywalker and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. Edward53 Mar 5, 2019

I'm not sure why you think there is anything wrong here. The movement looks ok to me and so does the dial. Even the crown might be the original one despite slight apparent mismatch. Nothing to worry about IMO, just get it serviced and enjoy it.

4. OrangeSeconds Mar 5, 2019

Absolutely, I'm not worried about it either. The timekeeping is great in my opinion. 4 minutes in 12 days is awesome for this movement. I'm ecstatic. The movement is great, just got some mismatched patina on some of the plates, it's from different parts, but I don't mind if it is keeping good t ime. It was services just recently from what I've been told.

Thanks for your input. Cheers.

5. ConElPueblo Mar 5, 2019

Great watch, @OrangeSeconds :thumbsup:

If I were to give a piece of advice, it would be to get the watch serviced by someone competent. 4 minutes over 12 days is about 3-4 times as much as this could be regulated to after a watchmaker has had it on the bench. Also, if you intend to gift it to your son, not getting it serviced would be a bad idea.

fskywalker likes this.
  6. OrangeSeconds Mar 5, 2019

CEP, yes TY. I will certainly get it serviced and regulated. As soon as I am willing to take it off my wrist. I'm in honeymoon. The watch was a minute behind off my wrist overnight. And the date was creeping to tomorrow by 10am. I also noticed about 2 minutes of play in the hands when setting time. Push crown in and hands bounce. That seems a bit sloppy for this watch. None the less I am happy she is alive.

fskywalker likes this.
  7. fskywalker Mar 6, 2019

Congrats

8. vlaspri Dec 15, 2020

Great watch! Is the red second hand authentic or it is a replacement one?