Forums Latest Members
  1. Kippy Aug 19, 2018

Incoming is the SM below . search as I might I cannot locate a similar dial? SM 165.002 Dial has a similar configuration but has numerals instead of markers.
    Bought from an extremely trusted Seller who claims it is a one owner watch and even comes with original box?
    Is this a genuine very uncommon Dial or a "refinished"/made up fantasy?
    Looking forward to the esteemed experts feedback please - many thanks in advance!

SM 1.jpg SM 2.jpg SM 3.jpg SM 4.jpg SM Movement and inner caseback.jpg SM 2.jpg

2. kaisiang098 Aug 19, 2018

Hello there,
    I'm no expert but from what i see here it does seem like a refurbished dial and the dial design is based off the seamaster 600 ref 135.011
    and is it just me or is the date window not faceted?

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. pmontoyap Aug 19, 2018

is that the one from Omega_enthusiast?Coincidentally I bought something similar this month. I wouldnt call it very rare, just rather uncommon.

41BB8193-9128-46F7-9B93-89E461B8FF2F.jpeg

Sorry for the poor midnight picture. This one is a reference 135.012 manual wind. Your example seems to be the automatic version.

4. Kippy Aug 20, 2018

Yes very similar to yours although Reference is 166.002? Date window is faceted ...
    Omega Ethusiast has the one with numerals not markers?
    Anyone?

5. pmontoyap Aug 20, 2018

Yes, different reference but same dial type, so not a fantasy dial which was one of your concerns.

I tried to find the one I saw just last week listed somewhere but with no luck, I thought it was O_E but apparently not. It had the same dial type (no numerals) but now that I think about it I believe it was signed “Geneve” :confused:

What about the date window facet? @kaisiang098 mentioned it seemed not to have them, you say it is faceted, AFAICT it has the same date window as others 166.002 online. Plain edge with a single facet

ACFB36E3-0F05-4381-AAAD-C0F410F16233.jpeg

6. Kippy Aug 20, 2018

Thanks for that - sorry you are 100% correct same date window - my bad - apologies.
    HOWEVER I would still be grateful if anyone can post a photo of a similar dial just to put my mind completely at rest? Thanks!

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 20, 2018

Looks like a reasonable quality redial.

The dial in its original form would probably not have looked at all like that and was most probably not black.

Cheers

Desmond

8. markoh Aug 23, 2018

I have a Geneve (136.011) with similar dial. Cal. 613 manual wind.

Always been a little sceptical about the dial, altough the original owner told that the dial is original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 23, 2018

It would be interesting if this discussion could be expanded to include some more "old hands" :)

In a side conversation with OP I observed the following:

The dial worried me because of a few of things. Firstly, I don’t see any degradation of the dial, even miniscule powdering of the organic lacquer, which is often the case on black dials. Secondly, the uppercase printing and Seamaster lettering appear to be flat printed and not as fine as the usual dial printing on 166.002s. I know of a couple of Asian houses that use CAD to produce fairly plausible examples of these dials and one of the tell-tales is thicker printing.

Also the tritium at the hour markers is absolutely clean. Even in a dark spot tritium degrades over time and yet there appear to be no signs of degradation. I would expect to see signs of age even in an example kept in a safe. Another thing I was looking for was the customary raised and slightly curved shaped of the lume, as it appears on the numerous Seamaster 600 dials I’ve seen, but I can’t see any raising or convex-ness (?) of the hour markers at all.

Finally, while I have seen a few genuine Seamaster 002 black dials, usually with applied markers and much finer printing, these particular iterations seem to have surfaced relatively recently, say over the last six to eight years. Before that I can’t recall ever seeing one.

Maybe it's a service dial, but my scepticism remains.

ClarendonVintage likes this.