Forums Latest Members
  1. marsy101 Jun 26, 2013

This was my first post. I'd seen a Seamaster that looked a little beaten so I presumed there was a chance that it could be all original. Obviously a very misguided presumption.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/is-this-seamaster-147-012-original.6168/

However on the other side of the coin, here is a watch I have seen that looks so beautiful that my presumption is that it can't be good. It looks like it has a refurbed face and has obviously been polished. So obviously I'm aware that the face components and crown may not match the year etc. I couldnt find a 1966 Seamaster with the 562 movement with the two tone 14 k/SS. The Omega lettering looks a bit odd and the hour hand has some blemishes. I wonder what you guys think?

I have been using the Omega vintage watch database for a while and for so many watches I see I cannot bring up a successful search on the case numbers. Is there a reason for that?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 26, 2013

Welcome Marsy, it is a 14730 version 1, not a 147.301. Here is what Omega says.
    SeamasterCalendar
    Gents' leather strap

Reference
    KO 14730
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 562
    Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand
    Some of these calibers were chronometer certified
    Functions
    Date
    Case
    Gold-cap on stainless steel
    Case back
    Unishell (case opening on dial side)
    Dial
    Domed
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters

3. marsy101 Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the welcome Uncle Buck and thanks for clearing up the coding. I think I must have over analysed the instructions on the omega database.

Any thoughts on the watch itself?

4. Sherbie Jun 26, 2013

Well the movement has been cobbled together from at least 2 different watches for a start - which would set my alarm bells ringing - as the bridge has come from a chronometer ( as it has "and temperature" on it) - and the watch you are looking at was never a chronometer !!!

run forrest run !

there will be much nicer examples along in a minute

5. marsy101 Jun 26, 2013

It seems from the Omega database that there were Chronometer certified 562 movements and this one is stamped chronometer on the front. Is there something else on the movement to suggest that it's not actually a Chronometer?

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 26, 2013

Some of these movements were chronometer certified, Sherbie, do you think any chance the parts were just co-mingled?

Marsy, I think your redial feeling is spot on. If you are looking for an original dial valuable to collectors, see Sherbie's advice above, if you think it's beautiful and want it, don't listen to anybody but your wife (if applicable).

7. Sherbie Jun 26, 2013

Its just a hunch that i have. I think that they have placed a redial onto the watch and added the words "automatic chronometer" on it, then found a chronometer bridge - all in an attempt to extract more money.

Imcould be completely wrong here, and i sure the real experts will chip in soon, but I would touch it

8. Sherbie Jun 26, 2013

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 26, 2013

Refinished dial AND hacked movement.

That off color bridge is a huge red flag on what is a very uncommon movement (a chronometer 562).

The few cal 562 chronometer movements were not used in this reference.

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  10. marsy101 Jun 26, 2013

This is a constant mental struggle for me! Go for something I consider beautiful and forget everything else (essentially buying in to the style) or hold out for something original but perhaps not exactly what I want aesthetically.

I already have a very nice gold Raymond Weil which I inherited from my father. It's the perfect thickness to wear under a shirt and jacket but it's also very vintage looking and not 100% my cup of tea. Stylistically this Seamaster is my dream watch... black face, very simple and 2 tone to work with both brown and black straps.

It;s currently up to about 400 pounds.

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 26, 2013

Sherbie,I'm with you 100%, They probably couldn't spell "Officially Certified"

Marsy, that price stuns me ! Again, refer to Sherbies advice above !

12. marsy101 Jun 26, 2013

Thanks. So it seems that Sherbie's hunch could be correct.

This sort of thing is so dishonest... although living in Poland myself, I can't really say I'm surprised

13. Sherbie Jun 26, 2013

I think you would be better off waiting and buying something from this forum,s classified. For example, Dablitzer had a lovely Seamaster for sale (now sold) that looked great

be patient is my advice

14. marsy101 Jun 26, 2013

I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the classifieds. Thanks for the advice

15. Mothra Jun 26, 2013

I agree with everyone above - sometimes its tempting to just take that redial, but please don't when the movement looks like that. It just takes a little patience - i hunted on ebay for four months and got an original black dial constellation for what you are being asked for here; and six months on forums for a good condition Great White in my price bracket - but if I'd pulled the trigger earlier, every time i looked at my wrist I'd know they were wrong....

16. marsy101 Jun 26, 2013

You're definitely right. I've been looking for quite a while and using the forum for advice but I don't think I've been systematic enough which has just led to more confusion. The important thing is that I remain patient.

17. ulackfocus Jun 26, 2013

There you go - that's exactly the attitude to take. You've been given goood opinions on that watch - it is a redial and a cobbled together movement. The color of the ink should match the color of the dial furniture (markers, hands, etc) on black original Omega dials.