Forums Latest Members

Scuff on AR coating - how to remedy?

1. Mozziebite Oct 30, 2017

I've noticed a scuff type mark on my PO - I'm pretty sure it's not the sapphire that's scratched, but rather the AR coating. Could be wrong though. It's only faintly noticeable when it catches the light at a certain angle and not a big deal, but I'd prefer to get rid of it if I can. Anyone have any thoughts?

Quite hard to capture on a pic, but it's up by the 1 o'clock marker.

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

2. bliew Oct 30, 2017

As far as I know the only way to fix it is to replace the entire crystal, or remove the outer AR coating with some Cape Cod

Looks like you've given it some solid use though! Looks good

3. duc Oct 30, 2017

I have a friend who polished the AR (which had blemishes) off the crystal of his Tag with Polywatch using a dremel tool with a small polishing buffer. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it. He said it took about 30 minutes. The crystal was perfect when he was finished and there were no ill effects on the ceramic bezel. Prior to his polishing, the smudged AR coating was clearly visible. All in all, it looked great when he was done.

4. Mozziebite Oct 30, 2017

Wow. I don't think I'll resort to that. Me + Dremel = disaster... :(

5. ras47 Oct 30, 2017

You could do the polishing by hand. Slower, but no power tools near your watch.

6. duc Oct 30, 2017

I found this photo on line. It looks pretty benign if you keep the rotating metal parts clear of the work object. Also, the polish head has a longer stem which adds distance between the metal and the watch if you are using it.

Dremel.jpg

7. Mozziebite Oct 30, 2017

Cheers for the replies. I think I'll just take it to the AD and see what they say..

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2017

They will likely send it away to Omega, where it will get a full service and new crystal at considerable cost to you (and some profit for them).

They may have a watchmaker in house who can just do the crystal swap, but it will still cost you a fair chunk of money.

By all means do so if it really bothers you, but otherwise I would either live with it as is until the next service, or polish off the remainder.

Cheers, Al

9. Mozziebite Oct 31, 2017

That's exactly what they said Al. It's no big deal - only visible at a certain angle and even then it's not really noticeable. Would they remedy it as part of a standard service (which won't be for a few years yet..), or is an extra?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2017

New crystal would not be included in a standard service.

11. Mozziebite Oct 31, 2017

No. it wouldn't be, but I just wondered if there was some process to "re-coat" the crystal. Probably not. Anyway.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 31, 2017

New crystal is the only option, other than polishing the coating off as has been said...

Mozziebite likes this.