Forums Latest Members

Screwdriver set recommendations - for watches

1. Bp1000 Jun 7, 2021

Hi all

It’s time I looked at replacing my screwdrivers. I currently use some cheap horotec hollow ground blades and the accompanying barrel. They have served me well, but perhaps due to my own fault, I find that sometimes a tiny piece of the blade will break off. This is probably due to loctite, trying to apply too much torque etc. Any tips on that also appreciated, pretty sure i use the light strength, pink/purple grade.

But I’ve never felt confident with these screwdrivers.

It would be nice to get a good set, with tool steel type hollow ground tips and a more substantial barrel or torque sleeve for a novice like me.

I need omega fitment 1.8, also 1.6 and 1.4 ideally.

Any recommendations ?

thanks

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 7, 2021

Buy the best you can and learn to resharpen them as just a set of screwdrivers is not the only thing you need. Most watchmakers have several sets and shape each one to the screw being removed.
    It’s not a simple what’s the best screwdriver set as it’s probably several sets.

I use my watchmakers ones ;)

3. keepsonticking Jun 7, 2021

If you have Horotec, and you're a novice, you have as much as you need...maybe more. It depends on how much work you intend to do, but some of the really cheap sets you can get with a stand are plenty for a guy who might want to remove a balance bridge someday...or may remove retainer screws to uncase a movement...or remove the stem, etc. I have 3 sets, and I find I often just grab the cheap ones I got 20 yrs ago, and if they are sharpened, they work just fine. Your Horotecs are better. Of course, Bergeon is probably the fav. I also like AF for the money. Honestly, I'm guessing you have what you need already.

I should add that the chipping you note is likely from using the wrong size blade/slot...or the blade is not shaped or sharpened properly...OR you need to maintain more force into the screw head while turning the driver. Damaging the blades is the least of your worries if your tools are poorly maintained or implemented.