Forums Latest Members

Screwdriver for adjusting midsize SMPc bracelet...

1. Opti Nov 20, 2020

Hi All

Having researched this, all indications point to needing a 1.8mm screwdriver to remove links from the SMPc bracelet but I can’t confirm whether this is true of both the full size 20mm bracelet and also the 18mm version which I have on my midsize model.

If anyone knows I should be grateful for your advice!

Cheers.

Opti

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Nov 20, 2020

I can't answer your question directly, but a set of micro screwdrivers might be in order, which will have a range of sizes, one of which will work with either of those watches.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 20, 2020

There is a thread here where a guy chews the screws up by trying this himself that has the screwdriver size in it..... ;)

4. Opti Nov 20, 2020

Ah ok!

Not seen that. I will search again...

Thanks.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 20, 2020

One of these

https://omegaforums.net/search/14003766/?q=Screwdriver&o=date&c[title_only]=1

be sure the screwdriver is as mentioned below by @Archer

PS : A boutique will do this for free usually and will be responsible if any damage ;)

6. rudagger Nov 20, 2020

I disagree on the responsibility part. "That scratch must have been there before".

I brought my Speedmaster to a boutique a couple years after buying it to try the sizing with one link removed.

I even asked beforehand if the guy was experienced or will I get a new scratch.

I got my watch back and mentioned this scratch on the clasp is new. He doubted that it was him. I can't say for sure, but it wasn't there a week ago, and the scratch lines up exactly with the pin hole.

So I have a new scratch IMO, and no responsibility taken by the boutique.

In the end, I liked the bigger sizing better, so rather than risk another scratch, I adjusted it back myself, in my basement on a thick towel on top of my clothes dryer. That says something about how I view the level of care by the boutique..I'd rather do it myself on a friggin clothes dryer!

FYI I used my general purpose small screwdrivers myself without issue. I figured I would try, seeing how tight it was and giving up early if needed, but there was no locktight and it was not too tight at all. No problems.

20201120_112435[1].jpg
  7. Evitzee Nov 20, 2020

Best practice is to have a 1.6 and 1.8mm driver on hand for bracelet adjustments.

I live 45 miles from a boutique, I'm not driving 90 miles to adjust a bracelet, especially if I didn't buy the watch there. It's not that difficult, an owner should learn to do this himself. Been doing my own strap changes and bracelet adjustments for over 30 years.

NGO1 and blufinz52 like this.
  8. Gruesome Nov 21, 2020

What you need to do is to fit the screw driver perfectly to the screw. What Archer means by 'dressing' is filing the width and the angle (sharpness) of the screw driver so it is
    a) just a smidgen less wide than the slot
    b) the angle of the blade (tip) is such that it almost but not quite bottoms out in the screw slot.

a) prevents marring the link (screw driver tip too wide) or putting dents into the sides of the screw slot (tip too narrow), b) prevents marring the bottom of the screw slot (tip too long/angle too shallow) or jumping out and scratching screw or link (tip too short/angle too steep).

Yes, you are 'ruining' a perfectly good screw driver with a file to make it fit a particular screw. In this case, that is what you want. Better the screw driver than the screw or link.

STANDY likes this.