Forums Latest Members
  1. htiek Oct 31, 2018

Hey everyone

Does anyone know how to get out those annoying tiny scratches that you get when you're changing the strap? My hand slipped when I changed the bracelet and theres a tiny scratch that is really bothering me.

Thanks!

2. htiek Oct 31, 2018

A pic for reference 20181031_221949.jpg

3. mgmarsh39 Oct 31, 2018

connieseamaster and htiek like this.
  4. marco Oct 31, 2018

A trick to avoid this happening is work from the underside of the watch. Try and have the spring bar tool always facing away from the watch . If a mishap occurs it is on the underside of the lug , especially vulnerable are gold watches.
    Take your time and practice on a beater.

Edited Nov 2, 2018
  5. htiek Oct 31, 2018

Will definitely note for next time, thanks! So hard to work on such a small scale, and those little spring bars are so dang finicky when they slip!

Edited Oct 31, 2018
  6. jw0n Oct 31, 2018

Yeah Cape Cod polishing cloth works. The next time you remove your strap, just put a bit of tape on the lugs and it should help avoid some potential scratches.

7. Skyblue44 Nov 1, 2018

Yes, 2 layers of masking tape, so that there is no sticky residue left after you take the tape off.

8. vbrad26 Nov 1, 2018

x2 on what @marco says.
    If you can, practice on a watch you don't care if it gets scratched and definitely work from the bottom.

marco likes this.
  9. JG808 Nov 1, 2018

What everyone else has said...work from the underside of the watch and practice. Pretty soon you'll be able to make quick changes with no scratches to the case.

Pun and marco like this.
  10. papajan Nov 1, 2018

the funny thing about a scratch is, is that you never will forget how it happened. So every scratch tells a story, the one more exciting than the other one. Change the point of view, and life is much easier...

But, thats easy to say. I also kick myself in the **** when I make a scratch

htiek, marco, Pun and 2 others like this.
  11. OmegaRolex Nov 1, 2018

Scratches will polish themselves out over time with regular wear. I never polish my watches and refuse to purchase polished watches.

Pun likes this.
  12. rohnin Nov 1, 2018

Strange that you scratched it on the top of the lug

13. Philip Loftus Nov 2, 2018

Take a q-tip as well as a snippet of a Cape Cod polishing cloth. Wipe the scratched area with a wet kleenex and dry it. Put the snippet of polishing cloth on your finger tip and move it slowly gently and firmly up and down in the same direction as the scratch. It's exactly the way a Japanese sword polisher finishes off a fresh polish on a sword using finger stones. Do it until the pink of the cloth has turned slightly greyish indicating the slight removal of metal.
    Take the q-tip and hold it horizontal to the surface and polish as before. Repeat as needed.
    Don't increase the angle of the q-tip because the plastic strip inside will further scratch the metal.
    When the scratches are gone wet the area and clean off the white residue. Polish with a microfibre cloth.
    The width of the cape cod snippet needs to be narrower than the surface you are cleaning in order to avoid removing mayteril from nearby edges which need to remain pristine. It's quite easy to do.
    However in the case of your inner lug you will need to fold the cloth over the edge where the scratches have reached it.

htiek likes this.
  14. jaguar11 Nov 2, 2018

Mine has so many scratches that it no longer matters.....

image.jpeg
    flw and Pun like this.