Forums Latest Members

Scratches...how many of you have a...

1. pbz Jul 22, 2020

...scratch or two on the inside surfaces of your lugs?

I just picked a brand new moonwatch and despite my best effort, painters tape and slow tempo picked up some small scratches when I swapped the bracelet for a sailcloth strap.

Granted, they’re tiny and on the downward facing side of the lugs, but it’s still bugging me since the watch is brand new.

Make me feel better and tell me how many of you have something similar on your pieces. Is there any foolproof way to avoid picking these up when using a sharp, metal spring bar tool?

OmegaP99 likes this.
  2. texasmade Jul 22, 2020

Inside of the lug? My AP Royal Oak has scratches all over the face and bracelet. I used it as my daily wearer from when I first got it in March 2017 to the time Corona virus hit.

pdxleaf and OmegaP99 like this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Jul 22, 2020

I purposely look for used watches without scratches on the back of the lugs. I'm weird like that. A good sign that a WIS hasn't gotten to the goods before me!

4. JwRosenthal Jul 22, 2020

Looks like a Mountain lion had at the underside of mine- just part of the charm.

Trog, Doc Olives, WYO_Watch and 3 others like this.
  5. OmegaP99 Jul 22, 2020

I never worry about these marks, it's pretty much expected wear and tear. Even the best watchmakers can scratch a lug or caseback from time to time. As it bothers you however, in the future you could try something thicker like those clear decals used on watch case backs which would provide a bit more protection than the easier-to-tear tape. You can also buy a small piece of 3M paint protection film, like a set made for car door mirrors, and cut off what you need each time. Even that small size would last you a lifetime.

avidmark, pdxleaf, lando and 3 others like this.
  6. Rodentman Jul 22, 2020

I have several watches with battle scars where I have changed straps often. I don't care about such marks. The only watch I really don't want them on however is the YG Sub. That one is quite special.

7. JwRosenthal Jul 22, 2020

Also, don’t change straps after your 2nd scotch.....wait until at least the 4th and make sure you have a dull tool and dim lighting....hmmm...now it’s all starting to make sense!

8. EricCsN Jul 22, 2020

i never change straps just change watches ... but i swear they just scratch themselves out of thin air despite my OCD efforts to prevent that. Except for ceramics watches which remains pristine as brand new.

NGO1 and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. eldiano84 Jul 23, 2020

It’s impossible, even if the factory does it, it will be there. I learned that the hard way, I flipped between nato to bracelet and did a horrendous job my first time because i was battling the spring bar, the lugs got a microscopic beating. I tried exchanging the watch for another color on my 2nd day of having the watch, I was 95% complete on the whole process with swapping out the watch at the boutique when the watch repair tech finished his tests and decided to pull out his magnifying glass to look at the area and next thing you know told me because of the conditions(scratches) the watch was considered unworn, I mean heck they did it at the store when they changed the bracelet the first time but what can we do.

Watch the official omega video on how they do it and get the curved spring bar for the nato strap makes life sooo much easier, the boutiques will also sell you the spring bar tool for 10 bucks. I learned to place a finger under the bracelet while getting it out and placing a corner of it in while switching it back in.

pdxleaf likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2020

Dan S, pdxleaf and janice&fred like this.
  11. EricCsN Jul 23, 2020

the spring bar themselves will cause scratches when they contact the surfaces.. of course if you ask me, air will as well (because i could never get a SS, gold or titanium watch without one after putting it on (and being super conscious on protecting and mitigating against scratches while wearing it). Only exception is ceramics)

12. mr_smith Jul 23, 2020

I have scratches... same as you, tiny and on the backside of the lugs. I found a recommendation somewhere to use gaffers tape rather than painters tape. I picked some of this up - it sticks better than the painters tape and hasn't left any residue (that I can tell) after peeling it off. I still get the random springbar that goes under it though and leaves a scratch. Maybe one day after enough practice I'll be good enough to do away with the tape but I'm not there yet.

13. Icnbne Jul 23, 2020

Many.. some quite deep because the ad used the slightly longer spring bars for the strap, and i foolishly tried to jamb it in place when putting the bracelet back on

Doeant bother me anymore, its part of the ownership experience i guess hah

14. watcholone Jul 23, 2020

you can call them scratches, but with time passing by, you might want to call it «patina»

15. rob#1 Jul 23, 2020

I first scratched a lug when I was struggling with the springbars changing back from a strap to the bracelet. It took a visit and quick search of the trusty OF to realise the springbars were of a different length for straps and bracelets :confused:.

Nowadays I just scratch the lugs for fun.

pdxleaf and janice&fred like this.
  16. vbrad26 Jul 23, 2020

If it is anything more than this you just need practice. This picture looks worse than it actually is but this is a little over 2 years of typically once a week strap changes.I also always use the same side.

4A1ED023-F769-4B99-B8CB-8004D93C9AE9.jpeg

What I’m more curious about is how I keep getting these!

C4CE9AC1-A351-4E35-8154-D305EB8EB9E4.jpeg

I'm just trying to be more like @STANDY
    My hesalite is flawless though lol.

Pretty much the only time I'm using the tool is when I'm removing or re-installing the bracelet.
    Most of my other straps are NATO's so I just use my fingernails to get the spring bars out.
    A few of my leather straps have quick release spring bars that don't require a tool.

Edited Jul 23, 2020
    Trog, pdxleaf and YY77 like this.
  17. snunez Jul 23, 2020

Huh. Learn something every day. I would never have guessed. I wonder why though?

OmegaP99 likes this.
  18. pbz Jul 23, 2020

A few of these replies made me laugh out loud. I suppose it's nearly unavoidable and likely just adds to the character and definition of a watch that's actively worn.

It's like having a brand new car...super paranoid and protective during the first months by parking as far away as possible and using touch up paint and then once you get enough door dings and windshield cracks the feeling goes away. My wife gives me a hard time that my Jeep has a 'finely developed patina' because of how long it's been since it's been washed.

I ordered one of those plastic spring bar tools and will see if that helps things.

pdxleaf and JwRosenthal like this.
  19. OmegaP99 Jul 23, 2020

Could be from wearing a jacket with a metal zipper since those marks are on the body side if you were to draw your arm across.

janice&fred and vbrad26 like this.
  20. vbrad26 Jul 23, 2020

That'd be a good guess if I ever wore anything like that! Being in Florida the jacket comes out like, maybe twice a year.
    I never even wear my sleeves down at work. Always rolled up...
    Oh well...

OmegaP99 likes this.