Forums Latest Members

Scenes from the Dirty Windshield (Warning: Lots of pics!)

1. Faz Jun 29, 2018

Hello all,

Over the last few months, the state of Pennsylvania has been a frequent destination. Hauling and backhauling steel, wood, fencing and shingles. I have to say, it's an extremely beautiful state, quirky, friendly and surprising. I enjoy every drive there, even when the weather is foul. Here are some random pics I snapped over the last few weeks. Hope you enjoy!

Pre departure kit..

Om12.JPG

Om 37.jpg

Om13.JPG Om14.jpg

Picking up a load of walnut in Amish country. Liverpool PA

Om 27.jpg Om 25.jpg Om 26.jpg Om 28.jpg

Some surprising views...
    Dino.jpg

Om 30.jpg

Some beautiful views..
    Om 2.jpg Om 3.jpg

Om 23.jpg

The theme here is "Thirst"!

Om1.jpg

Om 31.jpg Om15.jpg

Om 29.jpg

The ever changing weather..
    Om 16.jpg

Om 37.jpg Om 38.jpg Om 39.jpg Om 41.JPG

Sky views...

Om 32.jpg Om 33.jpg

Om 36.jpg

Unusual vehicles spotted..

Om 17.jpg

Om 40.jpg

Many roadside messages!

Om 18.jpg

Om 21.jpg

....a little contrast...

Om 24.jpg

If you lust after a Speedmaster, beware!!

Om 35.jpg
    Omeg ad.jpg
    There are tons of Rolex billboards, some in the most unusual places but this is the only Omega ad I've spotted. On I-276.

Leisure..

Om 19.jpg Om 20.jpg

If you want to get a buzz!

Om 22.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed! Thanks for looking

Faz

Edited Jun 29, 2018
    jmazpiazu, Dan S, ahsposo and 24 others like this.
  2. Vitezi Jun 29, 2018

Thanks for that earworm!

abrod520, Larry S and Faz like this.
  3. Faz Jun 29, 2018

Hahaha! I thought of fetching that video as well..Exactly what I had in mind! Amazing!

Vitezi likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 29, 2018

It is a very, big, diverse and pretty state.

merchandiser, Kmart and Faz like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 29, 2018

What a nice looking Polyphemus Moth ( giant silk moth )

@cicindela might correct me

Archer likes this.
  6. propervinyl Jun 29, 2018

@Faz first of all, thank you for posting these photos! We dont know eachother but I have really enjoyed the photos of your travels.

Two quick questions -

1) I find the highway pavement conditions in PA to be really awful. As you have traveled extensively in the state, is this something you agree with?

2) If you ever drive through the ridge country in SE PA, how do you manage the rapid ascents/descents? I have always wondered how folks hauling heavy loads handle the terrain in this part of PA.

Thanks again, and please keep the photos coming! I'm sure I'm not the only person here who really enjoys them.

noelekal, queriver, Kmart and 2 others like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 29, 2018

Having grown up there...the roads absolutely suck.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 29, 2018

Indeed, Antheraea polyphemus, mostly an Oak feeder, occasionally other hard woods.

Faz and propervinyl like this.
  9. vbrad26 Jun 29, 2018

Love these posts.
    Stay safe out there.

77deluxe and propervinyl like this.
  10. Faz Jun 29, 2018

Thanks for the kind words. It's so enjoyable to share these moments with the community. As Larry said, Pennsylvania is a fantastic state.

Oh...you're right about the road conditions. Here in Quebec, we are notorious for very poor roads but Pennsylvania is close behind. The worst roads I find are in the state of Michigan unfortunately. I must say that road rehab is undergoing across the state on the major turnpikes, interstates and state roads. Some of the ruts the shoulders meet the main road are downright dangerous for a loaded semi.

I've traveled pretty much across the whole state and the various ranges (Endless, Poconos, Allegheny etc...) and the trick is to focus on RPMs. Choosing a gear that will get you up the grade at about 1200 RPM. The scary part is going down some of the very long and steep grades with a fully loaded trailer (25 tons). Same applies, choose a low gear that will hold you at 10 mph under the permissible speed going down the grade. Using the engine brake and service brake to scrub off speed once you reach the permissible speed limit to bring you down 10 mph below and so on and so forth. Limited use of brakes is desirable so you don't overheat them at which point they become useless.

You do not want to go beyond a speed you can't recover from...and it's easy to do just that.

Cheers,

11. ICONO Jun 29, 2018

Terrific images…there are some great opportunities for editorial photography

A real sense of the different journeys…and the idiosyncrasies, of semi rural America

Please keep it up !

noelekal, Larry S and 77deluxe like this.
  12. propervinyl Jun 30, 2018

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! After hauling a boat with a half-ton pickup through the area, I am cringing to think about what it takes to navigate these roads in a 25 ton rig. It sounds terrifying.

Be safe out there, and keep the photos coming!

noelekal and 77deluxe like this.
  13. 77deluxe Jun 30, 2018

Great posts. Really enjoy these. Be safe.

14. merchandiser Jun 30, 2018

Good stuff Faz, thanks for posting. I grew up in Ohio very close to the Pennsylvania border. I have driven on some of the roads in your photos and it brought back many memories. Winding down eastward on PA Route 60 into the Fort Pitt tunnel is great as is the view of downtown Pittsburgh when you emerge from the tunnel. Amish country around Westminster is a fascinating thing to see that I’d highly recommend to anyone here. Thanks again for the post!

Edited Jun 30, 2018
    noelekal and Faz like this.
  15. Mtek Jul 1, 2018

@Faz. Please don’t stop making these threads, they are great and I look forward to them.

Question - I haven’t seen you mention, but what camera are you using? Many times your driving, yet the pics look fantastic. I would like to know, thank you.

noelekal and ahsposo like this.
  16. Faz Jul 1, 2018

Thanks so much for the interest and kind comments.

I use my iPhone 6 to "steal" some pics as I'm on the move. It's always on photo mode so all I have to do is snap away from the hip so to speak. I also use my Nikon D5000.. 2010 vintage, when I'm stopped.

noelekal and Mtek like this.
  17. Mtek Jul 1, 2018

One day, I hope to have a beer with @Faz

18. Faz Jul 1, 2018

Mtek likes this.
  19. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 1, 2018

Well, it's a mighty rough road from Lynchburg down to Danville,
    On a line with a three-mile grade;
    It was down that line where he lost his air-brakes;
    You can see what a jump he made.

Faz likes this.
  20. Dan S Jul 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to take these photos and post them. I spent the first 30 years of my life in the northeastern part of the US, and this brings back lots of memories - so wet and green.