Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 27, 2012

I like to seek the forum's opinion on this. Is this a fake or the real thing? It is ringing alarm bells on over to me but just can't put a finger to it. I also cannot seem to find anything information on the omega database for this case reference. Hope to hear what you think. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 27, 2012

3. ulackfocus Dec 27, 2012

Fake? Probably not. Frankened? Could be. If it's original and authentic it's in AMAZING shape.

4. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Dec 27, 2012

I should also add it is from China. :cautious:

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 27, 2012

Refinished dial, but nothing excluding the dial from being fake

6. ulackfocus Dec 27, 2012

Refinished or fake, that's AMAZING work.

7. Lex4TDI4Life Dec 28, 2012

What gave it away? :)

8. fjf Dec 28, 2012

Smooth piepan edges?. The fonts are really well done IMHO.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Fonts not finished with correct serification, but certainly a very good facsimile. I should add that this is probably better than you would get from Omega.

Current:
    1.jpg

Correct
    real1.jpg

Admittedly the latter image is from a newer model. The type thickness is comparable between the samples , but it should not be. A 2887 should perhaps have a little finer type. Take into consideration the 2887 is a very uncommon reference. It is very hard to to make a definitive finding on this. But bottom line is, a black dial, white arrowhead, 2887 -- ? = I'm not buying it.

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 28, 2012

To be fair, we should compare to this one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Only thing I can add is that the seconds hand is slightly too long. White printing on black is generally a hallmark of a redial, but if so, this is one of the best.

Facets in dial are sharp, register marks line up with hour markers. Not many get this right. There were a few black dialed pie-pans that came with white gold markers. These dials are rare and usually fetch very good money when they come up for auction, which isn't very often.

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=101&auctionid=47

The Antiquorum watch is a total franken job, IMO. Yet someone paid $10K for it in 2003.

"RE" spelling of Chronometer on dial correct for most 1st generation Constellations, but the Ref. 2887 is thought to be an exception. All the examples I've seen (most of which are in Desmond's essay) have "ER". But there really isn't enough of a population of this reference to make such a generalization.

I would lean to a redial on this one. But I leave open a small possibility that it could be all original.

Hoi, could this be your Vietnam guy's work?;)
    gatorcpa

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Thanks Hoi. I know yours to be original. The script is a little thinner on yours, as I suspected it would be. The crosshair on yours is also finer and parallel to to the L's ; on the eBay watch the line is not parallel. What is your opinion on this?

Excellent points Evan.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Thanks Steve, I try.

One other thing occurred to me when looking at the AQ specimen. The applied logo and Omega seem to also be white metal. The AQ one has these in yellow, as does other genuine black dialed Omegas of this era.

It is possible that the color of the pictures Gavin posted are off such that all of the dial printing and markers are really yellow gold?

Just a thought,
    gatorcpa

P.S. Can someone put up the Bat Signal for Desmond?

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Possible I suppose, but not like as the description reads,
    " THIS IS ONE OF THE RAREST VINTAGE OMEGA CONSTELLATION. IT IS A 50'S CHUNKY STAINLESS STEEL SCREWBACK CASE MODEL WITH ORIGINAL BLACK DIAL AND WHITE GOLD MARKERS. THIS WATCH IS SIMPLY STUNNING! COMES WITH IT'S ORIGINAL STAINLESS STEEL BRACELET. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PHOTOS. IT IS OFFERED AT NO RESERVE, SO SOMEONE WILL GET SUPER LUCKY TO OWN IT. GOOD LUCK!"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321047277494?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

All we can do now is wait and pray.:unsure:
    the-bat-signal.jpg

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

Wow, it does have everything. Original box and correct adjustable bracelet, too.

Capture.JPG

It's real close, but looks to be just a tiny bit off on the width of some of the serifs. The "MOY" looks perfect. This one has me stumped.

We'll just need to wait for the Master,
    gatorcpa

Edit - Spoke too soon. The box is for a Constellation Calendar.

[​IMG]

17. Wheels Dec 28, 2012

With so much uncertainty, and that fact that its coming out of China, the price is likely to stay quite low. Even if it's a redial, the movement and bracelet have got to be worth a couple hundred at least. Still it would make a nice wearer.

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 28, 2012

Seller has sold hundreds of Transformers axes, all listings are private, it's a private auction, seller appears to be based in US but item is in China.

:cautious:

19. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 28, 2012

Respectable Member JiminOz

Admins in the US and factory is in China. It makes sense, since this is a common practice nowadays.

Thank-you.

20. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 28, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, a member on WUS has a 2887 pie-pan. I'll ask if he can share a pic. I thought all 2887s had lug holes.

jud likes this.