Forums Latest Members

*SCAMMER ALERT* - Danny Gulliver from "Ohio"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KRLYUZH Jan 12, 2016

Hi all,

I have recently been contacted by "Danny Gulliver" email [email protected]

He was looking at a Speedmaster I had for sale. The language in the emails is kinda broken, which that alone should never deter you from a deal, I deal with many many legitimate international buyers and sellers.

He agreed to take the watch and told me that "his secretary" will get a check out to me ASAP. I told him I cannot accept a check from a new customer and he will have to pay with bank wire only (I would normally offer PayPal as well, but at this point red flags went up and I did not want to risk that as well).

He waited a day to reply and said that bank wire is fine and he needs my account info. Skeptical, but I still sent it to him. This is December 28th and then he disappears. He doesn't get back to me until January 5th, saying he "resumed office today" and wire has been done. What in reality happened is that he sent a "cashier's check" from Capital One directly to my bank with instructions to deposit it. So, when I checked my account, the deposit indeed was showing up for the amount, however, I monitor my accounts closely and can tell the difference between a wire incoming and a teller deposit. Of course he insisted I shipped the watch. He gave me this address:

Danny Gulliver
    727 E.249th st
    Euclid Ohio 44123

Which after a very easy search, comes back to a completely different name and is a small house. Never judge the book by its cover, but someone who has a "secretary" writing his checks for him probably doesn't live in a $58,000 home and buying a watch that worth a good portion of that.

Of course, I didn't ship him anything and said that in case the check does clear, which I doubted, I will send him a refund and did not feel comfortable doing the deal under any conditions any longer.

Unfortunately, the teller at my bank deposited the check and of course few days later it bounced.

Please be aware of this. A cashier's check will show up in your account as available funds the next day without ACTUALLY clearing. If the deal sounds too easy and to multiple red flags are raised, don't let the funds blind you :)

Again, the check came as "Capital One" cashiers check, he or they send it directly to your bank for deposit, and the notes on the checks say Maureen Hester, which is a name or reference that never came up in our email exchange nor does it have anything to do with the watch being sold.

Kirill

IMG_9366.jpg

2. LawBrk Jan 12, 2016

Huh, if this person actually lives at that address I'll have to invite them to a G2G. I'm only 70 streets further east, meet at the corner pub?

Thanks for the tip, K.

Timmert, fskywalker, chronos and 4 others like this.
  3. KRLYUZH Jan 12, 2016

Ha, doubt it, just spoke to another dealer who he sent another check (a BB&T Bank one) and gave him a GA address to ship to.

Stumbellina, fskywalker and jblau like this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Jan 26, 2016

Clearly a case of demand draft fraud. Good catch.

jblau likes this.
  5. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Feb 12, 2016

Nice catch!

jblau likes this.
  6. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Jun 22, 2016

yalmgu.qvdjqdu eBay buyer yalmgu.qvdjqdu

has "purchased" my audemars piguet K2120 18ct
    he has offered £4500 so i countered £4499 (so i dont necessarily end my item as "sold" without any reason if buyer has no intent of paying it puts it back on them a good tactic BTW saves relists maybe even returns gives the buyer another "think about it" ....

exactly the same thing, i'm being preemptive i dont have the uk equivalent of the cashier's check sent yet but it's not a "normal" sale
    (he is saying bank transfer whether i get a check ytho who knows!)

PS normal turkish sellers may look to legitimately buy via check or bank transfer as paypal has pulled on turkey BUT if you can get a set up with your bank like i have you can get them to give you a call when a check has cleared 7-10 days normally.

pps yalmgu.qvdjqdu is a 0 feedback buyer =)

Stumbellina and WatchmakerTheory like this.
  7. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Jun 22, 2016

it seems to be a new "run of" scam i think there will be a good few more....

8. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Jun 22, 2016

aaah the saga continues... pushy pushy on the sendy sendy
    "I will finalise credit card details tomorrow afternoon. Please send the watch on monday or tuesday. Warm regards"

9. ohmzx Jan 27, 2017

Thanks for letting us know. You did all the right things for checking this guy. Can he be banned for this forum? Admin?

Edited Jan 27, 2017
  10. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Jan 27, 2017

someone gunning for 200 posts! where you come from?.. HI there! send a message to the mods dont spam the pages, they will notice they won't like that ... (psst trust me... I "Know")

HiddeninAihara likes this.
  11. ohmzx Jan 27, 2017

That's not me. I was just posting my first purchase from the forum and saw this post.. So I made my comment. Please do not accuse an honest new member.

Edited Jan 27, 2017
  12. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jan 27, 2017

Don't mind FullyWound, it's more then just his username...

mayankyadav and ohmzx like this.
  13. jblau Feb 2, 2017

Happened to me once on a 8K 2 tone sub, bank of America told me to kick rocks. Hard lesson learned.

14. HiddeninAihara Feb 20, 2017

lol

15. alam Jul 8, 2017

don't forget to bring cheap watches and a few baseball bats...

:cool:

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 8.08.01 PM.png
  16. jguitron Sep 7, 2017

Thank you for sharing!

I do have a question. You mentioned that you didn't want to risk PayPal and went on to give your account numbers to the dubious individual. Up until now I would have released my paypal email any day of the week over releasing my account and routing numbers which are needed for the wire transfer. I had an international buyer offer a wire once and so I called my bank to educate myself. This is what they said (PNC Bank):

It is safe in general, but we recommend that, unless you know the sender, you don't reveal you account and routing numbers. They recommended to open an account specifically dedicated for those kind of transactions. Not recommended to do it with your cash-flow checking account because it is actually possible that whoever has your numbers can withdraw money later on, and good luck trying to recover it. They offered to open another checking account to proceed, but because this was a one off transaction I decided not to proceed that way.

Other than the fees (incl international fee) from Paypal, I am not aware of any risk with your transactions, but I may be wrong. So far the safest way to sell, albeit not the cheapest one, is Paypal. If your paying for something, use a credit card to pay paypal and you are doubly protected like that.

Thanks again for sharing.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2017

He won't be answering as he was banned from here himself...

STANDY likes this.
  18. jguitron Sep 7, 2017

Say whaaaaat?? [emoji33]

STANDY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.