Forums Latest Members
  1. SAN79Y May 26, 2015

Just found this thread, thanks for alerting so many collectors to this auction and providing so much information on here, which is why I had to pay so much for this piece ;)
    The bracelet is probably original to the watch given that it's a 68, and my favourite of the 60s designs, similar style to what you see on a modern reference. An absolute sod to adjust though so any tips would be great! I have only managed to do one side. I don't believe the hands are original as a lot of you have said, and neither is the top pusher which you missed. I'll be visiting my watchmaker this week, hoping I get lucky and he has correct items in stock. However, I have never seen a cleaner movement on a vintage watch, it really looks factory fresh and untouched. The gold is gleaming and the billet pattern on the inside of the caseback is so shiny it is hard to take a photo of the reference. It keeps excellent time and the chronograph works perfectly also so no need for him to service it at the moment. The dial is also excellent and the lume is still present, the initial photo on here just isn't very good. It is slightly discoloured to the naked eye and I have got it to work briefly. The case has a few typical marks. It has cleaned up really well and the bezel looks a lot better than the auction photo now. I am very happy with it, it is hard to believe that it is nearly 50 years old. Given the nature of the auction house, I think it could have turned up from a house clearance and have been sat in a drawer for years. I bought a Memomatic earlier this year in similar circumstances, that was put away in its original box with papers which was another bonus along with the nice bright colours on the dial. The orange details have faded on a lot of examples you see today. The movement on that had dried out, but just required a clean and oil to get it all going again including the alarm complication that I really like. Auctions are risky but it is nice when they work out.

2. ewand May 26, 2015

Well done on picking up such a nice example. Like you say, the auctioneers didn't know what they'd got when they listed the sale - but they'd had a lot of interest in the watch before the auction, so I think they were expecting it to do well.

PS - I like the bracelet too - much more so than the 1039.

Edited May 26, 2015
    Mothra likes this.
  3. gee_cee May 26, 2015

whereabouts was the auction?

4. ewand May 26, 2015

5. OmegaCal66 May 27, 2015

bazamu likes this.