Forums Latest Members
  1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 4, 2021

I usually say the best size of a collection is N+1, where N = the number of watches currently in the collection. But for the first time ever, I feel my N is currently not lacking any +1 ...don’t ask me what N is, I couldn’t tell you but I would guess somewhere between 2 hands and feet worth of fingers and toes and double that. That might also have to do with relative ‘diversity’...even in similar models. And it wasn’t curated, it just happened.

Dare I call myself satisfied? Is something wrong with me? Any other satisfied folk out there? Or is this just a phase?

2. Andrew C Jun 4, 2021

Phase hahaha. Give it a few months.

At best you might get into one-in/ one-out mode...

3. ATWG Jun 4, 2021

I've always been an N+2 kind of guy....always plan for contingencies.

vibe, Paedipod, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  4. Scooterino36 Jun 4, 2021

Drink plenty of fluids, get some rest, and we will check back in with you on Monday morning.

kov, blufinz52, SmithSJ and 6 others like this.
  5. NGO1 Jun 4, 2021

I’m almost there. Satisfied with my “daily grails”.
    Just need a couple “holy hell” to get there.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  6. Kiwibloke Jun 4, 2021

Getting the '1 in' is usually much easier than getting the '1 out' though...

More trouble when tastes refine and matching the '1 in' takes getting 2 or 3 out...:( ...which is current scenario!

7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 4, 2021

Whilst I’m blabbing random Friday bla bla : I’ll be honest, my project racing scratched a serious few itches...that might also be a phase-based-after-effect...so perhaps y’all are onto something. But I’m trying hard to think of the next #want...and I’m hitting a fat blank...for quite some time now.

M'Bob and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  8. SkunkPrince Jun 4, 2021

I said I was done, and I pretty much am!

9. pdxleaf ... Jun 4, 2021

Or was it the Alaska project that did you in?

No one would fault you for taking a long sabbatical from buying. If i had your moonshine that might have been my exit watch. Certainly your recent project would give most people a reason to stop and ponder their next move.

Your thought is an undercurrent that I have heard shared by others. My apollo-soyuz and recent seamaster chrono raised similar thoughts. I want to wear these two all the time. I don't have near the watches that you do but i still have a few others that bring joy. It's not enjoyable to have watches that you wind each day and then put back in the watch box and never wear. Part of the appeal of a watch is the tactile feeling of a marvelous tiny mechanical device that you can carry with you each day. It's not enough to just be a beautiful thing to look at. We have paintings and sculptures for that. It's the ability to carry that beautiful object with you and interact with it that makes watches special.

This dilemma has made me really think about any next purchase. If I see something I really like, i ask myself if I would choose to wear it over the meterorite speedy. The answer so far as been no. And if that's the case, why get another watch?

I don't think I'm done but I'm close. Six to twelve seems a healthy number to rotate wearing. I haven't figured out how to get to that number, but it is something I have been pondering, for what it's worth.

I recognize people have extensive and beautiful collections. I wouldn't suggest there is any reason to stop collecting or to reduce the number of watches. But i can understand a thought that thinks perhaps I have enough, or at least all that I can handle.

But just in case you decide to unload half your collection, you know where to find me. I might have room for one more...;)

lindo, eugeneandresson and Paedipod like this.
  10. Scooterino36 Jun 4, 2021

I’ll pose a question. What drives the desire to be “done”? I ask because I’m not a collector, I accumulate watches as I go, with no real desired end goal.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. Kiwibloke Jun 4, 2021

It has recently come upon me that - with my love of motorsport and all things petrolhead - that I must have a Heuer Autavia that's closely aligned to the great drivers like Siffert, Rindt, Bell, etc...in fact, I have no idea how this hasn't struck me before... Hence need to find new homes for a couple of the purchases that didn't have any significant intent behind them other than "that's a really nice looking watch...".

I'm think 4 to 6 really nice examples that have "meaning" should do it...

SmithSJ, eugeneandresson and pdxleaf like this.
  12. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 4, 2021

I’ve been pretty content for the last year, I know that feeling. Probably start selling more than I own and get down to a nice set of 4 (already trimmed to 8!)

DaveK, Dan S and eugeneandresson like this.
  13. Rdelgao Jun 4, 2021

Im just starting the hobby and trying to be wise( if that means anything at all regarding passions) Hoping to keep that N low but I have to admit that if my deeds would follow my thoughts that would not be wise... Lets see what happens in near future

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 4, 2021

I personally have zero clue (maybe @SkunkPrince can elaborate) as I never have had this desire. I doubt I will ever be done...

Who said I am done in?!

You Sir, clearly are still deep into 'N+1' territory :) Borderline 'N+2'...

Good luck! Truly learning ones taste usually requires ownership, and time ... and sometime as one travels this path, things change (watchcollecting can be capricious likely due to the hunt that is more thrilling than bagging the game), and some end up leaving the collection ... its fairly normal it seems.

pdxleaf and Scooterino36 like this.
  15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 4, 2021

N+2, a Centenary and a tdmp, I plan on a slooooww process consuming the rest of my days and then selling it all to you and my son on my deathbed!

Larry S, noelekal and eugeneandresson like this.
  16. sonicosa Jun 4, 2021

I’m currently in a (N-8)+2 state. I have too many similar watches and too many watches to enjoy wearing them all, so I need to thin out some redundancies and I’d like to use the funds to add a couple new watches in styles / functions not currently in my collection.

Also, where can I read about your racing project @eugeneandresson ?

eugeneandresson and pdxleaf like this.
  17. SkunkPrince Jun 4, 2021

This is personal to me, you understand....

I find it hard to have things that don't get used. You can't just have one mechanical watch, because eventually it has to be serviced, so you need two. But which two? I do like some different designs. I like steel. I like gold. I like lume. I like dauphine hands. But, you rarely find all of those in one thing.

So, more than one!

But, I like to wear my watches longer than one day at a time. Hence my insistence they keep time as well as when they were new (or as close as they can realistically get).

But having too many runs into everything is used at least semi-regularly. So I reached my balance point. 19 Omegas and one honorary Omega (Lemania) are enough... for me.

Larry S, DaveK, pdxleaf and 1 other person like this.
  18. pdxleaf ... Jun 4, 2021

eugeneandresson and sonicosa like this.
  19. Dan S Jun 4, 2021

In principle, I would like to have a smaller collection, since I don't NEES dozens of watches. But there are still many more watches that I would like to own. ::confused2::

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2021

I’m pretty cool with mine at the moment, the only +1 I keep looking at is the Ikepod Seaslug which is a weird watch I really want for some reason.

eugeneandresson, Dan S and sonicosa like this.