Forums Latest Members
  1. Mazoue Apr 6, 2018

For those that don't already know, Claremont Vintage is the name of my website through which I sell watches on a part-time basis as a hobby.

This watch is not doing the rounds. As explained at the beginning of this thread, I bought the watch at auction and have owned it since, having had it serviced along the way.

Anyone who has enquired about the watch has received a very detailed e-mail explaining its pros and cons. I have been entirely honest about the watch from the outset, subjecting it to scrutiny on this forum before I'd even received it.

Florent, isnardi, chronoboy64 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mazoue Apr 6, 2018

Since you have described the watch as a "franken", I think it is only fair to ask that you provide an explanation or evidence to support this allegation.

- It has an HF Polarouter case with 6-key case back and signed crown
    - The chapter ring with narrow hour markers is consistent with this
    - The lumed hands (recently relumed) are consistent with the 20217-4 case reference and the seconds hands is also genuine
    - The serial number is around 200 lower than another known SAS Polarouter
    - The dial is a UG dial made by Stern Freres and is stamped as such on the reverse
    - The printing of the SAS text and emblem in gold is identical in every detail to the printing on an SAS Polarouter with full provenance
    - The SAS text and emblem has been printed in exactly the same position on the dial as that same SAS Polarouter
    - The Universal Geneve Automatic text is printed in the lower half of the dial as only seen on other SAS Polarouters and in a UG typeface

Given all the things that are right about this watch, I would be interested to know why you are sure that the watch is not genuine. I would also be interested to know when you think this fabrication might have been created.

10H10 likes this.
  3. 10H10 Apr 6, 2018

Gee ! What a fight and thanks for the infos, now I know how to make my black sas dials correctly, sorry for the first execution ;)

CafeRacer and Mazoue like this.
  4. Diabolik Apr 6, 2018

::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::

CafeRacer and 10H10 like this.
  5. Docthomas Apr 6, 2018

10H10 likes this.
  6. 10H10 Apr 6, 2018

And disturbing...:p

Diabolik, CafeRacer and jumpingsecond like this.
  7. Mazoue Sep 8, 2018

For those of you that followed the debate over the black dialled SAS Polarouter, you may recall that reverse of the dial had a Stern Freres stamp
    of "94*076" on the reverse.
    media1.jpg

The picture below is of a dial from a 20217-6 SAS Polarouter. You'll notice that it has the exact same markings.
    media.jpg

In my opinion, the black dial was most likely a test dial before it was decided to use blank ink on a white dial. Whether or not it started life in this particular Polarouter case, or in fact any case, we will never know.

I am sure that those of you that were cynical about the dial/watch will remain unconvinced. I have no interest in persuading you any longer as I sold the watch to a very happy collector some time ago.

I do think we are all sometimes a little quick to jump to conclusions. Just because we have not seen something before, it does not necessarily mean that it is wrong.

8. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 8, 2018

Interesting way to put it...

9. Mazoue Sep 8, 2018

Thank you. You are absolutely right @Modest_Proposal, I expressed that very poorly.

I have always believed this dial/watch to be genuine and from an academic point of view, I will always remain interested in the watch. What I meant to convey was that I no longer have a vested interest in convincing anyone about this dial - it does not benefit me personally.

Edited Sep 11, 2018
  10. Diabolik Sep 12, 2018

Not quite sure what that proves or disproves ...

However, everything that there was to be said has been said. Nothing more to add. Hopefully the buyer will be well aware of what he has and enjoy it for what it is ...

11. CafeRacer Jan 11, 2020

rustynuts and Mazoue like this.
  12. Diabolik Jan 12, 2020

Not a lot to say ... pictures say it all :)

Mazoue likes this.
  13. CafeRacer Jan 12, 2020

Two examples now have surfaced, on different continents, and both from what looks to be non-collectors.
    It looks to be the same dial, inside different model references (20217-4 and 20214-4).
    One is a first execution (164 serial) and the other a second execution (168 serial).
    Both are -4 references (lume should be on both the dial and the hands), however one example has lumed hands, and the other does not.

The most unusual thing about this gold capped one, to me, is that the serial number (1648118) lies way outside the range expected for a 20214-4 (1649039 to 1649098).
    The serial lies in the range expected for a 20217-3 (1648027 to 1648151).
    https://universalgenevepolerouter.com/reference-tables/reference-table-steel-gold-plated/
    Perhaps it could have been a custom order, and they took whatever serial they were up to then?
    In this case, there would probably have been a minimum production number (they were printed, not engraved).
    EDIT: SERIAL turned out to be 1649118, which is just past the latest serial in the ex1 20214-4.

More questions, and more speculation of course... :)

Edited Jan 16, 2020
    filmir, Mazoue and jumpingsecond like this.
  14. Mazoue Jan 12, 2020

Whilst I'm gutted to have missed out on this one, I am absolutely delighted to see another and I think the dial looks fantastic in the gold capped case.

With my example in hand, I felt certain that it was genuine and the evidence uncovered relating to the dial only convinced me further.

Let's hope a few more examples crop up and we can find out a little more about them.

filmir likes this.
  15. jumpingsecond Jan 12, 2020

Good old universal geneve... the ultimate mystery novel of watches. An incredible story but even then the last few pages are missing.

sdre and Mazoue like this.
  16. Diabolik Jan 12, 2020

Pics posted are pretty bad. It is impossible to judge using those pics as reference. I would like to see a set hi def pics of dial in order to make some sort of assessment. However, findings on previous dial, are pretty conclusive. There are many fake dials out there. Finding 1, 2 or more, does not make all dials legit. There could be a thousand reasons why there are multiple copies of the dial as a template would be needed for one or many copies.

17. Mazoue Jan 12, 2020

So, just to be clear, you still believe that these dials are more likely to be fakes than not?

I am not asking you whether we have definitive proof but to offer your opinion on the balance of probabilities.

18. bgrisso Jan 12, 2020

I thought that is three now, doesn't @Lucas have a gold cased example?

Mazoue likes this.
  19. Mazoue Jan 12, 2020

He claimed to have one but sadly wasn't willing to share a photo.

20. bgrisso Jan 12, 2020

@Lucas can you share a reference and serial number ?