Forums Latest Members

SARS Reporting vs. Watch Collecting

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 23, 2015

2. trama Mar 23, 2015

Bunch of crap!

or is it? Dang. I just learned something.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. chickenman26 Mar 23, 2015

This is a good reason to rat hole a bunch of cash in places the government does't know about. Scary stuff...

Event horizon and citizenrich like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 23, 2015

citizenrich likes this.
  5. chickenman26 Mar 24, 2015

Constrained? This is more like conscription of bank employees to provide the Feds with "probable cause" for surveillance of private banking transactions as small as $3,000. First it was warrantless gathering of private citizens's phone records, and now this.

citizenrich likes this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 24, 2015

so if i buy a watch and wire transfer a few 1000 $$ to someone overseas, i'm investigated? wow. how do they determine if there's something suspicious that warrants deeper investigation?

should i be looking over my shoulder now (having just done this very thing)?

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 24, 2015

They already know what website you were on so don't worry Too Much.....

citizenrich likes this.
  8. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 24, 2015

They are seizing small businesses bank accounts
    for making cash deposits. Ruining the businesses
    in the interim. Citizen's are the enemy. All you have
    to do is look at the military hardware and military training
    local governments have been "given". Time to Wake Up!
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-owners-battle-irs-over-seized-bank-accounts/

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/3/7326135/police-militarization-federal

citizenrich likes this.
  9. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Mar 24, 2015

In the UK there is money laundering laws and the banks are over zealous in policing them. About ten years ago I received a cheque from a solicitor for £5000 and when I tried to pay it into the bank they refused until I told them the full details of the source. I was outraged that they implied I was some kind of drug baron. To top it all they also wanted to know what I was going to spend the money on. My reply was I'm going to blow it on high end prostitutes and cocaine.
    I do find Alex Jones a bit too much though.
    He says wearing a tin foil fedora with matching socks

citizenrich likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 24, 2015

Frankly, I think a lot of these laws were lobbied for by the banks themselves and credit card companies. Banks, because they have to spend a fortune on government compliance, tellers, equipment and security infrastructure just to handle large amounts of cash. Credit card companies, that's pretty obvious. When cash goes away, guess what everyone will use...and they make an average of 3% on every transaction!

This is nothing new. Back in the 1930's, the US did away with all paper money larger than $100. In those days, bills existed up to $10,000. The excuse then was to make it more difficult for gangsters to transport large amounts of cash offshore. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

These shenanigans by the government affect my profession also. We have to be the Form 1099 police, the FATCA police (Google it if you are interested) and report on client's tax returns the status of compliance with at least a dozen other laws as well. I have said to clients on occasion, "You may pay us, but the law says that we work for the government." I then tell them to write their Congressmen to tell them to take action.

This type of stuff has been going on since July 5, 1776. Go look up the Whisky Rebellion or Alien and Sedition Acts if you have any doubts.
    gatorcpa

citizenrich likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Mar 24, 2015

George Orwell was right - just off by a few decades.

noelekal likes this.
  12. timjohn Mar 24, 2015

This model seems to be: I lend the bank money by putting it on deposit with them and then they refuse to pay me back unless they are satisfied that I'm going to use it sensibly. WTF? And I used to work in a bank.

Reminds me of the story of the soccer player George Best, who was asked what he had done with his fortune. He said he had spent 90 per cent on hookers and blow and wasted the rest.

citizenrich likes this.
  13. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 24, 2015

Wait until they start charging you for having it.
    What's happening in Europe will be here before long.
    It's called negative interest rates.

watchme and citizenrich like this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 24, 2015

Or centuries, looking into history.

Now the governments have better toys:

gatorcpa

citizenrich likes this.
  15. COBanker Mar 25, 2015

I am in charge of security for a bank. I can unequivocally tell you that there has been no such guidance conveyed to banks through any official channels. I would be in charge of making sure we comply with something like that and it just doesn't exist.

There are anti-money-laundering requirements that we have to comply with, but nothing like what that story is talking about.

Edited Mar 26, 2015
  16. lwong Mar 25, 2015

I can back up what COBanker says. There's some fear-mongering going on in this article, along with gross overstatement of what's actually required - not to mention what happens with these SARs that are filed.

Generally speaking, the SARs would either (a) go into a database where they are stored until a hit occurs - say, some fella turns out to be a money launderer, and the authorities review the SARs filed to track whether he's had other activities ongoing; (b) be incorporated straight off the bat into an ongoing investigation that the authorities are already conducting on someone who's suspected of criminal activity; or (c) if it's a foreigner, be sent off to the respective country if it looks like something big and extremely dodgy is going on, so that actions can be taken on the other end.

Many other (civilised) countries have the same regime. The US has the NSA, so I don't know how that figures in, but I imagine it can't be that exaggerated as the article says because honestly, you've only got a limited number of government staff and a whole wide world of criminal activity out there, so I can't imagine they'd be spending a lot of time reviewing every SAR that comes their way. That's the reality of law enforcement - you're usually behind a step or two.

As for whether banks do end up filing SARs on watch dealers and watch buyers who withdraw large sums infrequently - my advice would be to just put up with the questions, highlight that you're a dealer/frequent purchaser, and the bank can take note so that in future if there's similar transactions then they've got it on record that this has happened before and it isn't the beginning of some shady behaviour.

COBanker likes this.
  17. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 26, 2015

Interesting perspective. Are you located in the United States? I don't want to pry too much but you were pretty specific that you're the boss. Do you work in retail banking??

When you write "anti-money-requirements" did you mean AML? I've not come across any bank which is anti-money. That would be the purest and least diluted oxymoron, like, pretty much ever.

Something called "Info Wars" is surely some twisted form of journalism (as I noted in my first comment). I also wrote that nothing in the article was untrue.

Any financial institution covered by the '13, '33, '34 or '41 Act absolutely and unequivocally (sry to ape your word) reports structured transactions to regulatory agencies and authorities. This would be beyond the scope of regular Anti Money Laundering compliance.

Here's an interesting blurb from the NY Times concerning the summary confiscation of bank accounts. Real Banana Republic type stuff:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/2...spicion-no-crime-required.html?referrer=&_r=1

I'm going back to looking at pictures of pretty watches :)

Edited Mar 26, 2015
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 26, 2015

I'm afraid this is exactly correct.

The gambit has always been to make us a cashless society.

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 26, 2015

Haha.....

That reminded me of one of my recruit briefings many years ago.

Our new intake was in a lecture hall and the paymaster was trying to explain what we should do with our new found wealth.

He pointed to a 17 year old kid and said "And what did you spend your last pay on son?"

"Um....I banked some, spent some at the canteen and sent the rest home to my Mum."

The paymaster nodded and smiled, and then pointed to a grizzled 25 year old re-entry at the back of the room.

"And what about you there, what did you do with your last pay packet?"

"Well mate, I must have spent half on cigs (cigarettes), half on booze, and half on prostitutes, and I guess I just squandered the other half!"

I guess he was no accountant, but he had the whole room in fits of laughter (except for the paymaster of course).

He'd obviously heard the old joke before and thought to try it on for a laugh, well, it worked.

I still remember old Frosty, a straight shooter and a good buddy on a run ashore.

Died at 55 of complications from lung cancer and leukemia (side benefits of military service).

As they say, "Old soldiers just fade away"..... (in this case, an old sailor crossed the bar).

citizenrich likes this.
  20. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Mar 26, 2015

I think we discussed one time but what do you really think is the cause of all these nasty cancers of servicemen? Is it the defoliants and bug killers? Or, something even more nasty ...did u guys use depleted uranium cannon ammo ?