Forums Latest Members

San Fran/Napa Trip Food/Watches/Wine?

1. LawBrk Dec 29, 2016

Hey OF,

I decided that enough of working and it's time for vacation. Will be spending week and a half in SF/Stanford/Napa areas. Been a few times but looking for any lesser known GREAT spots for meals, watches, and wine.

Things on the list in no particular order:

Appt with HQ (maybe scratch that 5513 itch)
    Dinner @ Commonwealth
    Drinks @ Trick Dog
    Dim sum
    A day in Palo Alto
    Buena Vista for an Irish coffee (or two)

Napa:
    Continuum
    Pride
    Schramsberg
    Maclaren
    Dinner @ Farmstead
    Dinner @ il posto trattoria

Any "not to miss" restaurants in wine country? I was thinking of The Girl & the fig. Thoughts, musings, ramblings, are welcome. Pontificate away!

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Dec 29, 2016

Following this thread.... I'm going on a similar trip for the first time in February.

3. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2016

If you're a filet kinda guy, you NEED to go to John's Historic Grill in the Union Square area.

Chappellet has some of the nicest views in Napa. Arrowood has a great tasting room with a very nice view and good pairings.

4. Riviera Paradise Dec 29, 2016

Don't know if you are into dessert wine, but I do like Far Niente's Dolce::love::

ulackfocus likes this.
  5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 29, 2016

Don't forget the Warm Puppy Cafe in Santa Rosa. image.png

Riviera Paradise and ulackfocus like this.
  6. LawBrk Dec 29, 2016

A visit to Nickle & Nickle was on last trips itinerary. Love their stuff, and the Dolce is delicious. My Suderiaut and Rieussec are sleeping so they won't mind my infidelity. ;)

Will add it to the list, am staying at the Union Square Hilton, would be nice if within walking distance.
    Chappellet is a great suggestion, I recall that you mentioned a family winery, that I was not familiar with, in a different thread. It was similar to Silver Oak style?

Will see what I can do, if only I had a Spoopy to wear to breakfast....

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 29, 2016

Tbone likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2016

It is - about a 1/4 mile away.

Since we're talking Burlingame's shopping area, the Wine Stop is great. Andy has never steered me wrong, and they have a very good selection of aged bottles around the shop.

http://www.thewinestop.com

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. LawBrk Dec 29, 2016

10. West Slope Dec 29, 2016

11. ulackfocus Dec 29, 2016

I've been there. Bill in the tasting room is fun to chat with. They make some good Atlas Peak Cabs.

12. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Dec 29, 2016

Got married at the culinary institute , they have a restraunt that have all the students working in that is quite good... fun to see the busy young minds...

You have probably already have done French laundry

Also like bounty hunter down town nappa , for meat

had rehearsal dinner at farm stead so that is great... we potted pig ( pork rillete) mmmm

My in wineries right now pine ridge, Joseph phelps ( tasting room under construction last time out) Stag's leap, I think some one said chaepelle above, chateau montelena , nickel and nickel ,
    Mumm for some bubbles
    Hope this helps

13. abrod520 Dec 29, 2016

Do not recommend Palo Alto unless you're into the type of suburb where the Cheesecake Factory is the hot spot. Try San Mateo instead, there's an OK downtown

Tbone, LawBrk and Foo2rama like this.
  14. abrod520 Dec 29, 2016

Mortar & Pestle Bar in San Mateo is pretty good.

LawBrk likes this.
  15. Tbone Dec 29, 2016

Ok, @LawBrk -- I'll add my 2 cents as a "local" in SF.

San Francisco-
    LaCiccia - Noe Valley- Sardinian food that is off the richter good. Book now or you won't get in-- http://www.laciccia.com
    Bar Crudo- NOPA- Incredible Crudo (suggest an order of Tuna, Kanapachi and Ocean trout/salmon) and get the lobster salad--- http://barcrudo.com
    Zazie- Cole Valley-BREAKFAST ONLY- N Judah stops at the intersection 100 ft away- The line can get long but worth the wait. If the guy at the door is Mario, tell him you're a friend of Tysons and it may help reduce (not eliminate) your wait. --http://www.zaziesf.com
    Picnic in the GG park-(this will take some explaining) If the weather is good, after you leave Zazies, walk 200 feet to "Say Cheese" -grab a made to order sandwhich and a bottle of wine- If Roger is there, ask him for a wine recommendation-he's never wrong. http://www.saycheesesf.com
    Jump back on the N Judah heading "WEST" (OR you can walk the 12 blocks down Carl) and get off about 6-7 stops later at "9th" street. Walk 2 blocks North and you'll be in Golden Gate park. Ask someone where the Flower Conservatory is and start walking. Post up in front of the largest remaining wooden flower hot house in the USA and eat your sandwiches and drink your vino. At this point, you are probably well lubricated so lay down where you are and take a nap (hopefully in the sun). After that, you can checkk out the museum or if its a Sunday, you start walking West on John F Kennedy (right in front of you) you'll probably hear some music- this will be the roller-skaters jamming to 70's-80's disco. Super fun to watch. Walk another couple blocks and on a raised dias, you'll see (and hear) them giving "swing" and "Lindy" dance lessons- Join in! it's free! and very cool.

If you like Dive bars, hit "The 500 Club" in the mission. The best neon sign in the city (IMHO) and the jukebox murders.
    For great coffee and views of the skyline- Anytime- Potrero Hill - Farleys for coffee and they have an awesome selection of magazines -The views come from any intersection you pic. Just look back toward the city and be blown away. Also, across from Farleys is an OLD bar called The Bloom Saloon- incredible views from the back deck if the tree in the next yard is trimmed and they let you back there.

That's enough for the city

I don't really go to Napa anymore because the traffic is horrendous. When you are headed that way, you should definitely stop at RamsGate Winery. When you pass Sears Point raceway (excuse me, INFINEON raceway- it'll always be Sears Point) you'll see the RamsGate sign about 1/2 mile farther on to your right. Great place to have a glass and they serve tapas which are outstanding. The wine is "OK" but the ambience is fantastic. ---http://ramsgatewinery.com
    When you pull out of there, head about 2 miles up the road to Gloria Ferrer and have a glass of champagne over looking the valley. Spectacular and the bubbly is pretty good as well. https://www.gloriaferrer.com/sonoma-visit/
    In Sonoma, where I prefer to go, the restaurant you should definitely try is "The Farmhouse Inn" fantastic. It has cottages for rent as well.
    http://www.farmhouseinn.com/restaurant
    For downtown Sonoma, the Girl and the Fig is pretty good but they are riding on their reputation at this point. In Sonoma, some wineries I like (Pinot N is my poison) are Woodenhead (great people and amazing Pinot), Paul Matthews ( nothing fancy here but the wine is great- Barb is the co-founder- tell her I sent you) cross the street to the Underwood- great food and a pretty cool vibe.

That should get you started!
    Feel free to ping me when you are headed to Zazies- I live in the hood!

Edited Dec 30, 2016
    LawBrk likes this.
  16. Smokerjoker Dec 29, 2016

I very much agree about a day in Palo Alto--you won't need that much time. If you are spending time in Burlingame, there are couple of good watch shops--besides Topper there is Kerns which is the local Patek and Rolex dealer.

I am not so familiar with the wine country anymore. It is too much of a pain to go up there. If you are looking for exceptional wine, WineStop is good but I personally prefer Weimax on Broadway. I have always been impressed their recommendations--all based on value.

It sounds like you have some pretty solid recommendations for The City. I might have to try some of the places suggested by TBone! If you are really into fine wine and exceptional food, I can take you to lunch at the French Club for a very unique dining experience.