Forums Latest Members
  1. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

Saw a football related post earlier where someone made reference to Rugby and also seen a few over time members mention it. Guessing with the Oz connection there may be some RL fans too

Just wondering who on OF is in to the great game? Anyone still playing?

Fingers crossed Ireland do us a favour on Saturday and we can win some silverware in 2019...

2. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2019

Still playing but only occasionally now. Serious knee operation a year ago and getting too old for the more serious rugby I used to play. My Son plays more seriously at Wootton Bassett.
    I will be at Twickenham on Sat watching the game and I am hoping Ireland do us a favour too

My Son and I following our last first team game played together in 2017

14702473_10210825117646635_1895381712177392064_n.jpg

3. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

Knees put pay to me playing seriously anymore too, as well as having a kid. Hopefully I can keep the body ticking over for another 16 years so I can have a run out with my son. Bet its a great feeling playing together

Enjoy Saturday @Gav1967!

4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2019

Absolutely nothing better. I coached him and his team from 5year olds to colts and then captained a few of them who came through to the 1’s. We played 7seasons together and won the league before he moved to Swindon and my knee op.
    Great memories that I will grow old on and discuss with the Grand kids

I hope you will be able to do the same

Gav :thumbsup:

Adb_85 likes this.
  5. Steve88M3 Mar 14, 2019

I love rugby, but having been to the 7s for so many years I associate it with cirrhosis.

sdre, Alpha and Gav1967 like this.
  6. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2019

Yep know the feeling. I tend to leave my liver in the fridge before I go

Wivac and Steve88M3 like this.
  7. ras47 Mar 14, 2019

I love the game. Discovered it in college when I was trying to make the football team (Bucknell) and it was clear I'd probably never start. A few of the football players secretly also played Rugby in the off season and encouraged me to check it out. Instant love affair! All the physicality of American football (and more) but with the free-flowing style of soccer. One of the things that bugs me about American football is the constant stops between plays. Growing up playing that game, I got used to the stoppages. But when I discovered a game that didn't stop constantly it was a revelation. Finesse + Brute Strength = Ideal.

I played in college and a little after I graduated but life got in the way. Now that the kids are older I'm going back to the game this spring with the local Old Boys side. I'm following the Six Nations World Cup and I can hardly wait for the full Rugby World Cup 2019 in Japan. I'm a Springboks fan. My sister lived in South Africa for a decade and I went over for her wedding. SA was banned from the World Cup then over apartheid so the Boks were idling until the ban was lifted. Dark days.Part of the team was working out at Jan Smuts stadium in Johannesburg so I trooped over to watch. I even got to run a few lines with them. Geez, these guys are super-human! Speed and strength way beyond us mere mortals. But a great bunch of guys. BOKKE - YEAH!!

IMG_0871.jpg
    Adb_85, sdre and Gav1967 like this.
  8. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2019

Fantastic memories. Hope you enjoy the comeback

ras47 likes this.
  9. lillatroll Mar 14, 2019

The nerves are building. Tomorrow will be a long day, On Saturday the only thing to do is to pour over the papers; try to keep busy and try not to start drinking too early. Being welsh, Rugby is poured into our DNA, the week before a big game involves 3 million selectors, discussing the pros and cons of this player over that, tactics that will win or lose us the game.

For 80 minutes the world, our world atleast, will stand still, oblivious to hurricanes, aeroplanes and Brexit complains. Our common gaze fixed on screens in living rooms, bars and for the lucky few, in the stadium itself.
    A victory will end in one hell of a hangover, but then again so will a defeat, so everyone's a winner. I will be glued to my computer screen willing my country on while my wife will watch, bemused, never able to understand what Rugby means to me and my fellow countrymen.

10. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 14, 2019

I think you will finish the job on Saturday but the Irish are more than capable of turning in a performance and wrecking the party so it has the makings of a classic and will be close.
    Just disappointed with staggered kick offs on the final day which could mean the England game is a dead rubber unless the Irish do us a favour....Pob Iwc

lillatroll likes this.
  11. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

Great stuff @ras47. You summed it up perfectly. Finesse and strength. And a great bunch of blokes

Ireland are due a big performance this 6 nations. Especially after their autumn performances and beating the All Blacks so I still live in hope. But as Gatland has said Wales have forgotten how to lose. Momentum and the winning habit certainly adds to any team as we all probably know

I reckon ideally the order of the last round of games should be decided in the week before and if there is a grand slam decider then put it last.

And here is a photo of me playing. Managed to get to a final at HQ with home town club alongside childhood pals and brother. Fantastic experience apart from losing :(

352DAB71-C919-44DA-BD3A-E20A4169FD08.jpeg

sdre, Alpha, ras47 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ras47 Mar 14, 2019

It amazes me watching the pros and seeing their skills. Big men -- HUGE men -- with such pace! At Bucknell I played with a guy from Rhodesia. He could make a Rugby ball do things that defied the laws of nature. Sure taught me a few things!

Adb_85 and Gav1967 like this.
  13. makaria indica Mar 14, 2019

I played Rugby for over 25 years, starting at primary school, college than club rugby and sevens, were as Australians play cricket at school during lunch break, In NZ we run around like a hairy dog carrying a piece of oval shaped pig skin.....

Adb_85 and Gav1967 like this.
  14. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

The pros are freaks of nature. The size of them. Even the young players in their late teens coming through are big blokes and more than holding their own

ras47 likes this.
  15. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

The two go hand in hand!

16. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

No wonder you’re so bloody good then and have a production line of players

17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 14, 2019

Many happy memories of the great comradery on and off the pitch, tours to Wales and further friendships formed etc.
    Happy days and no i'm not divulging who I am in this image ;)

IMG_6387.jpg

ras47, Gav1967, sdre and 2 others like this.
  18. Adb_85 Mar 14, 2019

Love the lightweight cotton jerseys

19. ras47 Mar 14, 2019

In New Zealand they don't issue baby shoes to newborns. They get their first set of scrum boots. :)

20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 14, 2019

It certainly wasn't yesterday, I suspect the hairstyles just may give a clue :)