Forums Latest Members

Rubber or leather strap on omega gmt

1. Daz4311 Aug 13, 2019

Just purchased the omega planet ocean gmt with the black and white bezel,now fancy a spare strap to change over to now and then,what do people recommend, the original black leather and deployment clasp from this version,or another strap,also how does it feel on wrist with it being quite a heafty watch,as always worn watches on metal bracelet but now fancy a change

2. PhilF Aug 13, 2019

I'm currently in the process of getting a brown leather strap w/deployant clasp for my Speedmaster, it's ok on a NATO, better on the bracelet, but I think you'll like the deployant, black or brown, to suit your taste.

Daz4311 likes this.
  3. sah Aug 14, 2019

Either rubber or leather will dramatically lighten the watch on your wrist. Leather looks nicer but not so good for sweaty summers or swimming. If water is planned, go rubber.

4. fskywalker Aug 20, 2019

What about the Omega OEM leather/rubber band ? (as found on the Planet Oceans) Those look good and are water resistant and as such ok for hot summers / swimming etc.

5. leepxy Aug 20, 2019

rubber seems more practical if you're wearing it alot

6. PhilF Aug 20, 2019

You are correct and there are some very nice rubber straps, tried a couple, primarily Seiko, I guess I just didn't like the feel or the look. If I was younger and had the opportunity to engage in more outdoor/wet activities, I'd probably give them another try. I prefer a metal bracelet for feel & moisture resistance, also have grown to like dark brown or tan leather stitched straps. Perhaps when I eventually acquire a Seamaster (yes, the looking has already begun) I'll try a synthetic strap again. Interestingly, I've never seen a Submariner on a dive strap, maybe I should get out more!

7. leepxy Aug 20, 2019

unrelated, but considering how expensive it is, rolex has the new yachtmaster on a pretty nice black rubber strap too haha

PhilF likes this.
  8. Wetworks Aug 21, 2019

I have the OEM rubber/leather on deployant, extremely comfortable, although the taper takes a bit of getting used to.

Daz4311 likes this.
  9. tudor17 Aug 21, 2019

How about a Bond NATO?

10. bama2141 Aug 21, 2019

I changed from the bracelet to a deployant rubber on my PO 2500. It'll never go back on the bracelet - the rubber is so much more comfortable. I was always aware of the weight of the watch on the bracelet - on the rubber it almost disappears. No worries if it gets wet.

Daz4311 likes this.
  11. Wetworks Aug 21, 2019

I also have that, the one with the single white strap down the middle. Front-on, I agree with you, but there is a sizable space at the lugs due to the height of the watch. This is mitigated by the bracelet and strap in how they meet the case. The NATO leaves that all to bear. Just something to be aware of...

Lenny Pepperidge likes this.
  12. Gasman Aug 21, 2019

I’ve got my PO on black rubber.

13. krc Aug 21, 2019

You can get both straps for the watch but for me without thinking twice, I would go with the leather strap.

PhilF likes this.