Forums Latest Members

Routine co-axial service, DC area?

1. Annapolis May 15, 2020

I have an AT for which I don't know the service history (it's c.2006, so out of the warranty period). Still working great but I may, in the next year or so, want to send it out for routine service, just so I have a baseline to work with going forward. In the past I got some great recs for nearby places to service vintage Omegas, but from what I've been reading online, it seems like co-axials/modern pieces are best sent to Omega--? Is that true? (There's also a lot of derision pointed at Omega service here at OF, but I think that's mainly directed at their less-than-ideal handling of vintage pieces.) I have my local Boutique here in Annapolis that I can rely on for sending to Omega, but before I part with the watch for what I gather could be several months and ~$600, I figured I ought to ask the gurus here whether that's actually the right move.

In sum:

Can folks confirm that sending to Omega is the right move for a watch like this? I'm willing to make the investment for a watch I plan to keep indefinitely, such as this one, but I also don't want to be a fool so-soon-parted from his money.

And, if the above is not necessarily the case, and if you know of a trustworthy and competent watchmaker in the Maryland/VA/DC/Philly area who can service a watch like this, can you please pass along that info to me, either in this thread or via pm?

Thanks!

2. gbesq May 15, 2020

Govberg Jewelers in the Philadelphia area.
    Govberg Watch Repair
    166 East Levering Mill Rd
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004

Annapolis likes this.
  3. gbesq May 15, 2020

There is nothing wrong with sending a modern watch to Omega for service, with two caveats. First, servicing by Omega is expensive compared to many independent watchmakers. Second, realize that Omega's service policy is to return your watch to you in as nearly new/factory specs condition as possible. What this means is that Omega will service your watch as THEY see fit and will not necessarily follow any instructions that you may provide (e.g., no case or bracelet polishing). If you go with an independent watchmaker, you need to make sure that the shop has an Omega parts account so that genuine Omega parts are used and that the repair staff is Omega trained and certified. Govberg has both, but there are many other choices.

Annapolis likes this.
  4. Annapolis May 15, 2020

Appreciate these replies!

5. Dan S May 15, 2020

Omega. You want someone who has regular practice properly lubricating the coaxial movements.

connieseamaster and Annapolis like this.
  6. Annapolis May 15, 2020

Thanks, Dan. This is what I plan to do. Peace of mind knowing it’s factory serviced.

I’m also drawn to their 2-year warranty for service work, whereas other places offer shorter periods.

I’m not sending a bracelet with the watch (just the watch) and I suppose I’m not terribly worried about polishing the case, though I might eat those words if the lugs end up dull. The watch is really quite clean, so I’m hoping they don’t feel the need to polish it all, actually.

7. Dan S May 15, 2020

I've only sent one watch to Omega for service, but it was a modern one, and they did a good job refinishing the case. They do remove some material, but they leave the edges very sharp. They also did a great job on the bracelet. Both are properly refinished, not just polished.

Annapolis likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 15, 2020

Using an independent watchmaker is fine, but I strongly recommend only using someone who has an Omega parts account (these often need new parts), who has the correct specialized tools for servicing these watches, and who has been trained directly by Omega on how to service them.

They are very different from a regular lever escapement, and when the job is not done correctly, they will appear to run just fine...they can be very deceiving if the watchmaker doesn't know specifically what to do and look for.

Cheers, Al

9. Dan S May 15, 2020

This was quite a long time ago, and I had almost forgotten I owned this watch, but it was actually quite nice. If I still wore modern watches, this is one I would consider. You can see that while the edges are not perfectly sharp, they are pretty good, and they restored the proper polished and brushed finishes on different surfaces.

IMG_0173.jpg IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0199.jpg IMG_0122.jpg

Annapolis likes this.
  10. Annapolis May 15, 2020

@Archer I'd send it you if you'd want the work, though I don't know where you're located. :)

I suppose the one thing I need to sort out vis-a-vis Omega, depending on when I do this, is whether they're currently operating under these unusual circumstances---or whether there are drastic delays. Could be worth holding off until some resumption of normal. I'm getting mixed results researching that question here and abroad; might just try calling them directly.

11. Annapolis May 15, 2020

...and I just did (call them): If I send my watch in for official Omega service it will get routed to California, and that facility is in the process of reopening presently with an expected first day of operation of next Monday, 5/18. The rep said to expect some delay of turnaround since they're likely to have a backlog of repair/service contracts, but that's information that'll be easier to get once they're up and running next week.

Just figured I'd share, since this might of interest to other folks too.

Barada7 likes this.
  12. Annapolis May 15, 2020

...although why California (Culver City, I presume?) when there's a Swatch Group US Inc service center much closer, in Secaucus, NJ? I wonder if she mistook me when I stated my location: I said "Maryland, in the Washington, DC area, and it's possible she just entered "Washington" and so gave me a west coasty answer. Or maybe I'm missing something. Entirely likely.

13. Annapolis May 15, 2020

And yes---it was annoying me so I called back (and got a different rep), and I was right: the first one mistook my location. Second rep informed me that the watch would go to Secaucus, NJ, which is currently operational but slightly lean on staff, so experiencing minimal delays. Again, just posting for others' situational awareness.

Barada7 likes this.
  14. Barada7 May 15, 2020

Thank you for the information!

15. Jetguy87 May 16, 2020

If you're looking for local in DC, I can recommend either Afram Jewelers in downtown DC. Sam, the watchmaker, is super knowledgeable and friendly, is co-axial certified, and has an Omega parts account (he did my 2500B Aqua Terra last year and it runs great).

There's another shop in Arlington -- Arlington Watch Works. The watchmaker there is Dan. He's also Omega certified, but I have not used him for an Omega watch (he did, however, swap a dial on my Rolex 16710 when no one else would touch it).

Edited May 18, 2020
    goggs and Annapolis like this.
  16. ATWG May 16, 2020

I live in DC suburbs and recently had my caliber 3133 serviced by an AD (Liljenquist and Becksted.) The watch was sent to NYC and took about 4 weeks. Came back with Omega warranty, red travel case etc.

Something to consider.

goggs and Annapolis like this.