Forums Latest Members
  1. TechFounder Mar 3, 2020

I had my Seamaster opened by a local shop recently and I noticed that the movement contains a ruby in the center of the pinion that the rotor is attached to. You can see it in the attached photo with a circle around it. First of all, I'm happy that mine still has that part as I noticed that almost all of the Omega movement images I've seen, that part is missing. Can someone tell me what is the significance of that part? Is it just cosmetic or does it actually serve a purpose? I'm going to have mine serviced by Omega, should I make sure that they replace it or at least, put it back if they can't find an exact replacement?

IMG_3683.jpg
  2. Canuck Mar 3, 2020

No ruby bearing there. That is likely congealed lubricant coating the tip of the rotor post. The post itself is tempered steel, and the rotor has what is often called a rotor bearing gear friction fit in the middle of the rotor. Beneath the rotor is the gear that drives the self wind gearing. The bearing gear is separate from the rotor, and is a friction fit which allows the bearing gear to be removed and replaced. The bearing gear is a precise fit over the rotor post, and the rotor turns on that post. No jewel there, sorry!

3. TechFounder Mar 3, 2020

So that ruby colored center is lubricant? I didn't know that the lube they use is ruby red? It's strange that it looks perfectly shaped too. Nice and round.

4. Canuck Mar 3, 2020

Scrape the goo off with a toothpick. Trust me. No jewel in that location.