Forums Latest Members

Rolex vs Omega.... Watchbox studio rant.

1. bent_remy Jun 9, 2018

If you have not seen this yet I implore you devote the 14 minutes and listen to Tim’s answer to the age old question of what can Omega do to keep up with Rolex.

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 9, 2018

Sounds about right. Well thought out analysis. I really like that he doesn’t base his analysis on quality or taste or demographic. He actually makes Omega sound really exciting.

Thank you for sharing

Caliber561 and bent_remy like this.
  3. ClarendonVintage Jun 9, 2018

Wasn't the pre quartz leader Longines:cautious:

*anyway i only consider some models of Omega to be a direct competitor with Rolex. The rest and majority of Omega watches directly competes with Tudor and Tag Heuer.

Edited Jun 9, 2018
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 9, 2018

Was it? I suppose it depends on year but, not knowing myself the stats, I have to say the 50,s and 60’s where big for Omega. I also suppose he is just trying to center the conversation around Omega and Rolex.... if you where to really dig into it there are many other brands that are worth mentioning and that certainly would compete or surpass these two in terms of horological prestige. But in context definatellly I’d say Omega was ahead Rolex at mid century.

Caliber561 and SpeedyPhill like this.
  5. Philou Jun 9, 2018

Interesting video, thanks for sharing

bent_remy likes this.
  6. Meme-Dweller Jun 9, 2018

As long as Omega doesn't play the supply game like Rolex, I'm happy. I'll drop the brand completely if they want me to buy a gold DeVille before they'll sell me a Speedmaster.

kkt, jetkins, IDXM and 3 others like this.
  7. llvhhui Jun 9, 2018

His analysis is spot on.
    His voice sounds familiar.
    He needs to hit the gym once in a while.

Uniqez and MaiLollo like this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jun 9, 2018

That was a well thought out and presented analysis :thumbsup:

9. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2018

Sure was! Omega didn't catch up until the 60's, and Rolex didn't have the brand power of either until the 80's.

noelekal and ClarendonVintage like this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 9, 2018

::facepalm1::

Here we go again!

tyrantlizardrex and AAAKK like this.
  11. Kmart Jun 9, 2018

I don't think that will happen any time soon. There's such a glut of Speedmasters on the market that they can be had brand new for 33% off list price all day. Come to think of it that's probably another reason Omega doesn't have quite the brand image that Rolex has... their gray market presence is insane so it's hard to justify paying MSRP for their watches most of the time. Not really an option with Rolex.

kkt, sjg22, thatonewatchdude and 6 others like this.
  12. sdre Jun 9, 2018

Very insightful. Think he's nailed it on almost all his points.

Can't help but to think how skinny this guy is though.

13. dinexus Jun 9, 2018

He definitely ain't wrong. Personally, I like all the neat lesser-known Omegas that tend to fall through the cracks as it makes the hunt that much more fun, but at the same time, I definitely hate the development cycle being so damned short. Planned obsolescence is absolutely a thing with Omega, and it's a damned bummer.

14. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2018

For the ten zillionth time. :cautious:

Let it die people.

15. Spyder Jun 9, 2018

Great analysis, thanks for sharing

16. Meme-Dweller Jun 9, 2018

With the current Speedy Pro, yes. All they have to do is introduce a small change such as a lumed ceramic bezel like on the Silver Snoopy and the fanboys will go nuts. Maybe even add a white dial to troll the Daytona while giving a chance to those who love the Snoopy but hate the actual dog. Or maybe even bring Cal. 321 back from the dead. Then, cut supply and watch the world burn.

gostang9 likes this.
  17. abrod520 Jun 10, 2018

He makes some good points and some interesting suggestions but I really can't take him seriously if he's gonna wear sunglasses upside-down on top of his head like that.

sdre, micampe, Rman and 3 others like this.
  18. abrod520 Jun 10, 2018

In the beginning, the original Dark Side of the Moon was the hottest thing Omega sold - at $12,000 a pop - and they couldn't stock them fast enough. The issue's not the grey market itself, the issue is that Omega ramps up production of the hot watches that are selling, which is both logical and old-fashioned thinking. Before you knew it, everyone who had a Dark Side had already bought one and the rest ended up for nearly half off on the grey market. Rolex, on the other hand, has recently decided to limit production and induce artifical demand; like Ferrari who they are compared to in the video, in order to buy the top models you must prove that you "deserve" to by buying the shit bottom-rung models. But Rolex, like Ferrari, is a huge name with a huge following and they can do this without hurting their brand too much

19. Kmart Jun 10, 2018

Geez, why all the personal attacks on Tim? Seems uncalled for. :confused:

20. To the moon Jun 10, 2018

No harm intended by myself and I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone, but just a little light banta. Good detailed post by him though