Forums Latest Members

Rolex Tank for a Novice?

1. High Hope Oct 13, 2020

Another OF member has posted a treasure trove of a widow’s husbands watch collection. I know nothing about Rolex tanks, but did start my budding watch interest w gold filled inexpensive US tanks from the ‘30s and ‘40s, sadly all lost in the recesses of time.

Any comments on this would be appreciated. The watch is in the UK, sight unseen, but the story might be legit. Anyway, the limited photos:

2. High Hope Oct 13, 2020

Sorry, posting from two different devices.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. janice&fred Oct 13, 2020

I smell redial. I merely say that as usually the only old "tanks" from that era with nice clean original dials are American made. Must be related to the quality of paints. Even in the torture-chamber-like environs of the tropical Philippine islands those old American made dials in snap back cases usually look like new.

Scarecrow Boat, High Hope and Dan S like this.
  4. High Hope Oct 13, 2020

Thanks J&F. The watch looks incredibly clean, incl. the case and case back. White Gold is fairly soft (vs stainless) so if it had been abused I'd think that there would be more evidence of polishing, but it looks crisp. Comments?

5. janice&fred Oct 13, 2020

The entire watch looks like it was made yesterday. I would want to see some inside snap shots of that case and case back. Could be an old Rolex movement recently re-cased. If you look close you can see the recent glue residue under the crystal.

High Hope likes this.
  6. guaranteed.rohu Oct 13, 2020

I'm not an expert on vintage rolex, but I think maybe that's not legit. I've handled a few rolex prince's in my time, to my understanding they are the most common rolex tank style watches from the early 1900s?

I'd say that case, from your photos, looks fairly overpolished to me - the corners are fairly rounded from what I can see, when they should be sharp. Again I'm no expert so could be wrong - but I'd say you should leave it.

upload_2020-10-14_10-38-45.png

upload_2020-10-14_10-39-12.png

Some examples off google (new old stock):

[​IMG]

upload_2020-10-14_10-31-57.png

High Hope likes this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 13, 2020

Whoever refinished the dial forgot to relume the hands.

Run away from this one.

janice&fred and High Hope like this.
  8. High Hope Oct 13, 2020

Thanks all. I was hoping to get a WG Rolex tank on the cheap. Then I remembered why my American tank flea market finds disappeared; I lost interest b/c of condition. I appreciate everyone's input.
    Chris

9. guaranteed.rohu Oct 14, 2020

good luck with your hunt!

You can get lovely hamilton tank pieces (and I think a few other brands) fairly fairly cheap in original condition. Even other mainstream brands like omega and longines have fairly cheap vintage tank pieces I believe.

janice&fred and High Hope like this.
  10. Marsimaxam Oct 14, 2020

I agree... most likely a redial. It is hard to find in truly mint original condition. Many no longer have the Rolex crown as they were usually replaced at some point in time and most dials have some blemishes.
    Here’s my Rolex Prince Blanchard 1930s, original dial but the crown is not... yellow and white gold.

ACCB5E4F-364C-4669-8846-CE180E4EB2A7.jpeg
    X350 XJR and High Hope like this.