Forums Latest Members

Rolex Passion Report was way off the mark for Basel 2017

1. Riviera Paradise Mar 26, 2017

Wow, I do appreciate the effort he makes to get some sneak news out for us watch fans, but I have to say that the Rolex Passion Report was much more miss than hit this year.

100% Hit:
    Rolex SeaDweller in 43mm with red text.

50% Hit:
    Daytonas in PM dials and ceramic bezels, but missed out on the Oysterflex.
    100% Misses:
    Rolex Coke GMT (wrong prediction)
    Rolex Explorer 2 with ceramic bezel (wrong prediction)
    New Annual Calendar Day Date derived from Sky Dweller calibre (wrong prediction)
    Yachmaster with ceramic bezel (wrong prediction)
    New Skydweller in steel with PM bezel and two-tone (not predicted)
    New Cellini Moon phase (not predicted)

So for Basel 2018 should we treat the RolexPassion Basel prediction report as more of a speculative exercise, similar to what Monochrome watches have done in the past?

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the predictions this year were so off target? Rolex tightening on their NDAs and leaks?

2. Meme-Dweller Mar 26, 2017

It's just some dude with bad grammar running the site based on threads from TRF. I photoshopped a BLNR to have a red/black Coke bezel and the thread took off. He even used my Photoshopped image. You can tell it's based on the forums because he also mentions that the James Cameron deep blue DeepSea would be discontinued but that is BS making its rounds exclusively on TRF.

3. lwong Mar 26, 2017

Exactly as you say, but to be fair, Philipp may also have inside sources that tip him off to developments on the horizon.

I say this because this is the first I'm reading about RPR mentioning discon of the DSSD... But I've separately heard from my own reliable source that this is indeed being done in conjunction with the new SD release.

4. Meme-Dweller Mar 26, 2017

Well, he does definitely have some legit sources as he did call the SD 43mm w/ cyclops a couple days before BW 17 and even posted pictures. I called a couple of ADs and they said the James Cameron SD can still be ordered and there is still a waitlist. Either Rolex is limiting supply or the demand is still very strong for the JC DSSD (maybe even both). The SD4K is indeed discontinued, though. No idea if the regular black DSSD is being discontinued.

5. BruceTheManLee Mar 27, 2017

There is some speculation but he must have some inside knowledge esp for the new SD. I don't think anyone would have guessed 43mm (maybe 42mm) and no one would have thought Cyclops

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Slevin kelevra Mar 27, 2017

Sounds a very poorly informed comment to me. The chap who runs Rolex Passion Report is Phillip Stahl, IMO one of the most respected Vintage Rolex collectors around. His first language is quite obviously not English as I think he is from Holland or somewhere like that.

His website, photo reports, insight into the Vintage Rolex world ( if thats your thing ) is second to none.

7. Kmart Mar 27, 2017

The Basel "predictions" seemed more like wishes to me this year. Nothing that he predicted seemed particularly likely to happen so frankly I'm not surprised that he was way off the mark.

8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 27, 2017

I have no insider knowledge myself, and although I consider Philip to be generally authoritative and certainly vastly more knowledgeable than I, I thought his 2017 Baselworld predictions were quite unrealistic all along. That list of predictions would be a busy 5 years by Rolex standards, and for them to do that much in one year would have been very un-Rolex. I think what they actually announced still adds up to a very ambitious year by their standards. Just my 2 cents.

Kmart likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 27, 2017

I've often suspected that Rolex have years worth of new watches designed at any point in time and just release a handful each year, when the Explorer II orange hand leaked just before Basel a few years back they simply pulled it for the next year and replaced it with something else. It sort of makes sense from a sales and marketing perspective as around Basel they'd crunch their numbers from the dealer network and figure out what watch isn't doing well and needs a refresh badly, then drop something into the market to renew interest in the line.

Given that most of their new watches amount to either dropping the Cal 3235 in place of a 3135, sticking a ceramic bezel on an existing model or releasing an existing model in a different metal it isn't exactly like their R&D team are the most overworked on earth so they'd have ample time to plan ahead.

Bushido and Kmart like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 27, 2017

At least on the SD he had to know. Calling 43mm and a cyclops... someone spoke out of school.

11. watchlovr Mar 27, 2017

Phillip certainly knows lots, has an amazing collection, all 100% top top pieces, he is Dutch I believe.
    Everyone scans the forums and takes bits here and there.
    He owns the rarest Rolex Milsub ever seen, my wife had it on her wrist at the last "issued" meet, a reputed cool 1 million pounds worth!
    Comes across as quite aloof but is actually not. Not when you get him started on watches!
    Edit, as far as i know he is more of a "vintage" guy.

Edited Mar 28, 2017
    WatchWarlock and Andy K like this.
  12. Meme-Dweller Mar 27, 2017

I found it pretty funny when he reported the ceramic Daytona last year and followed with articles constantly bragging how he was right. "AS I REPORTED WEEKS AGO", "EXACTLY LIKE I SAID", etc

This year, he was stuck with reporting the facts only afterward lol

13. WatchWarlock Mar 27, 2017

^Very cool story.
    As for the misses. I always take the predictions with a grain of salt, given that is exactly what they are. I wonder how much of it is based off his insider knowledge versus his personal Rolex yearnings. Either way, he was spot on regarding the biggest Rolex reveal so give the man his due!

Andy K likes this.
  14. jfmiii Mar 27, 2017

guy has legitimate sources. you know when he makes his predictions that you are going to see at least something he predicted. perhaps he throws in things (2016 Blueberry GMT anyone?) that he knows wont happen so that he doesnt totally steal Rolex's thunder. the predictions on RPR are much much more rooted in fact and legitimate rumblings than the random, and countless, TRF posts which state "spoke with AD; Coke GMT coming this year." nobody predicted a SS DaytonaC last year and he had it. nobody predicted a 43mm cyclops'd SD and he had it. that aint dumb luck.

pitpro likes this.
  15. Tiger8888 Mar 27, 2017

He is Dutch and his specialty is vintage sports. He's been helpful to me when I've had a couple of questions.
    I believe he created RPR to put together a group of dealers/enthusiasts with some integrity and access to a few gems, and also to offer an information source to help those requiring some guidance in a world of growing fakery.

16. alam Mar 30, 2017

damn! and I was already dreaming w/the "new" Explorer II on my wrist... :( ... damn!

:rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 11.04.44 PM.png
  17. billyblue Mar 31, 2017

Same here, would've been an instant buy.