Forums Latest Members

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust Questions

1. Kraut783 Sep 22, 2019

My step-father of 32 years died Tuesday at the age of 90, quite a remarkable man, former Marine Mustang and aviator, flew F4 Corsairs in Korea and F-4 Phantoms in Vietnam.

He gave me his Rolex he had for at least 25 years, a simple stainless steel Oyster Perpetual date-just. Surprisingly, it shows little wear, even though he wore it everyday.

I'm trying to ID it and the closest I have found is that it is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust Linen...but not sure of the movement. It is keeping really good time, but I will be sending it in one day for servicing, this will not be a watch to sell, but to keep in the family.

Any help with an proper ID would be great.....also, what is the going rate for full servicing now days for Rolex?

Here are some pics

R01.jpg R02.jpg R03.jpg R04.jpg R05.jpg R06.jpg R07.jpg R08.jpg R09.jpg

Edited Sep 22, 2019
  2. Dan S Sep 22, 2019

Based on the recess of the dial (aka "pie-pan" shape) around the outer edge, that appears to be a ref 1603 with a lovely and interesting dial. I assume that there is no quick-set date (i.e. you can only change the date by moving the hands through 12 midnight). The bezel is known as "engine turned", but it has lost it sharpness through polishing, which is a bit strange, people don't usually try to polish those bezels. If it were my watch, I might consider replacing that bezel with a period-correct bezel in better condition, but that's purely a cosmetic issue for personal taste. Most likely the watch is from the 1970s, but if you remove the bracelet and take photos of the numbers between the lugs on both sides of the watch, you will be certain of the reference number and serial number, which will help you estimate the production date. There may be other useful information inside the case-back, if you ever have it opened up. The bracelet is a later replacement jubilee with solid links, but it's also pretty loose at this point. There would be no harm in replacing it with a tighter one, since it's not original anyway.

If this were my watch, I would be inclined to send the watch to an independent watchmaker who is experienced with vintage pieces. Rolex might want to replace some parts that you would prefer to preserve, particular the hands and dial.

P.S. My condolences on the loss of your step-father. It's wonderful that you have this excellent heirloom as a tangible remembrance.

Edited Sep 22, 2019
    Kraut783 likes this.
  3. Kraut783 Sep 22, 2019

Dan S,
    Thank you for the information and thank you for suggesting an independent, your right, Rolex might replace some items I don't want touched. I will work on taking the bracelet off and getting the numbers, I always did like the research part of watches.

4. Nla91 Sep 22, 2019

My condolence on the loss of your stepfather.

I'm not sure I can see a step on the dial so it could as well be a 16030.

Kraut783 likes this.
  5. kkt Sep 22, 2019

My condolences on the loss of your stepfather.

This great watch is a fine way to remember him. I'm so glad your question is not how to sell it. :)

As Dan says, I would not recommend sending it to Rolex. Rolex has something of a poor reputation for how they treat vintage watches, tending to discard any parts that show any wear, even if they are perfectly useable, and put in new parts just to make the watch look as if it just came out of the showroom - at great expense to the owner, and greatly reducing the watch's value to collectors if it is ever sold. If you post what city you're in, someone here can probably recommend a watchmaker who will do a good job servicing it and is sensitive to keeping vintage watches as original as possible.

I lean the other way from Dan about replacing the bezel. I would keep the watch the way it was when your stepfather wore it. It's true that if you were selling it, you'd get more for the watch by replacing the bezel, however if you're keeping it as a reminder, keeping it the way it is will do that best.

Best wishes.

Kraut783 likes this.
  6. Kraut783 Sep 22, 2019

Thank you kkt, I live in the Dallas area.

I will keep the bezel the way it is and only replace the watch band, so I can wear it at certain occasions...there is a small crack between the 8 and 9 marker, so will probably replace the glass.

===============

Edit: From internet searching, I am wondering if it is this:

Maker: Rolex
    Model: Datejust
    Dial: linen-finished
    Reference: 16030
    Year: circa 1982
    Material: Stainless Steel
    Dimensions: 36mm diameter; 12mm thickness
    Sapphire Crystal: No
    Lume: No
    Caliber: Caliber 3035 Automatic Winding Movement
    Bracelet/Strap: Stainless Steel Rolex Jubilee Bracelet (end-links no. 555)
    Lug Width: 20mm

Stock Pic.JPG

Edited Sep 22, 2019
  7. Dan S Sep 22, 2019

If the dial is completely flat all the way to the outer rim, as @Nla91 suggests, then it will be a 16030 instead of a 1603. In that case, the crown should also have three positions once you unscrew it, one for winding, one for setting the time, and one for setting the date. The movement for the earlier 1603 had only two positions, winding and time-setting ... no quick-set date. I personally love the older pie-pan dials, but I have to admit that the quick-set date is a major upgrade in convenience.

Regarding the bezel, I wasn't urging you to change it out. Really I just wanted to mention that if you chose to do so, it wouldn't devalue the watch if you found a suitable replacement. As you can see from the photo you posted, the texture of the bezel has lost its sharpness.

There is an excellent person for vintage Rolex in the Dallas area. Bob Ridley can do whatever you want, and will take good care of the watch.
    http://www.watchmakers.com/www/servicesRolex.html

Edited Sep 22, 2019
    kkt and Kraut783 like this.
  8. Martin_J_N Sep 22, 2019

My condolences on the passing of your step-father.

The watch is a lovely way to remember him, if you go down the road of some gentle refurbishment please be sure to show us the before and after pictures.

Enjoy the watch and the wonderful memories that it brings.

Kraut783 likes this.
  9. Kraut783 Sep 22, 2019

Dan S,

Look like it does have the three positions, and the dial is flat all the way to the outer rim. Thank you for the Dallas area watchmaster!

Dan S likes this.
  10. Dan S Sep 22, 2019

Then it is going to be a ref 16030 as you suggested, likely from the 1980s. Again, the reference number (16030) will be between the 12 o'clock lugs, and the serial number will be between the 6 o'clock lugs. The latter can be used to get an estimate of the production date, within a year or two, using tabulated data easily found on the internet. With the drilled lugs, it's quite easy to remove the bracelet.

Kraut783 likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Sep 23, 2019

Nice watch and a great gift to remember him by. I have been hunting for a 1603 (birth year) for some time and I have seen the bezels polished like this
    more often than not sadly. If you look at the profile pic you showed, you can see how a former jeweler/watchmaker ran the watch across a buffing wheel and the brushing on the case is more pronounced in the mm or two between the bezel and the lugs.
    I love the way a sharp engine turned bezel plays the light and agree with Dan that there would be no harm in sourcing another bezel, your watchmaker can eaily replace it and you can save the original- entirely up to your taste though.

Kraut783 likes this.